James Burton recommendations please

davidge1

Friend of Leo's
Open Up Your Heart by Buck Owens. His playing on this song is like a whole library of guitar licks that people are still copying to this day.

All of the Ricky Nelson songs from the 50s that he played on. One of my favorites is Milk Cow Blues. He later played the same licks on Working Man Blues by Merle Haggard. Just get any Ricky Nelson greatest hits album. I have the one with the Andy Warhol art on the cover. James Burton never sounded better then he did on these recordings. They were all on Capitol Records, so the recording quality is top notch. Even the sappy songs like Poor Little Fool have great guitar playing.

You can see him rocking out with Bob Luman and David Houston in these clips from the movie Carnival Rock:

He did an instrumental album with Ralph Mooney in the '60s, but to me he sounds best backing up other artists.

Last edited:

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Pretty much any Emmylou backed by the Hot Band.
Some'll be James, some'll be Albert Lee, which is no bad thing. All good.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
IIRC he was in The Shadows, which was a rockabilly/proto rock instrumental band. He played sparse, "only what matters" rhythm and lead lines. Maybe on YouTube?

Jazzcaster21

Tele-Holic
Open Up Your Heart by Buck Owens. His playing on this song is like a whole library of guitar licks that people are still copying to this day.

All of the Ricky Nelson songs from the 50s that he played on. One of my favorites is Milk Cow Blues. He later played the same licks on Working Man Blues by Merle Haggard. Just get any Ricky Nelson greatest hits album. I have the one with the Andy Warhol art on the cover. James Burton never sounded better then he did on these recordings. They were all on Capitol Records, so the recording quality is top notch. Even the sappy songs like Poor Little Fool have great guitar playing.

You can see him rocking out with Bob Luman and David Houston in these clips from the movie Carnival Rock:

He did an instrumental album with Ralph Mooney in the '60s, but to me he sounds best backing up other artists.

I am confused, I always thought that was Roy Nichols on the Merle stuff but it wasn't? I know Roy is on the live record....

davidge1

Friend of Leo's
I always thought that was Roy Nichols on the Merle stuff but it wasn't? I know Roy is on the live record....
James Burton played on Working Man Blues and the Bottle Let Me Down. Here's a thread from a while back listing which Merle Haggard tracks were James Burton and which were Roy Nichols (I think it's the second page of the thread):

Last edited:

davidge1

Friend of Leo's
his playing on Gram Parsons’ Return of the Grievous Angel. Ooh Las Vegas!
Most of the playing on that song is actually Al Perkins on a Fender pedal steel. James Burton plays the intro lick and the licks at the end while the song fades out.

TeleT97

TDPRI Member
Yeah I have that one and it's great. Wasn't he also on the rare live-in-the studio set they did??
I believe he and most of the band from the studio sessions were busy on tour with some guy named Elvis and Jock Bartley played as part of the newly formed Fallen Angels on Gram's tour and that studio set. Love his playing on that record!