1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

James Burton MIM Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Strato50, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Anyone have one? Got one to look at. It’s the off white see through finish. Get this never been played. Has the hang tags and James autograph on it. He won it years ago and it been in the case in the closet. Hoping it’s got a beefier neck than a standard.

Geo and Rust like this.
  2. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Bueller?

3. saleake

saleake Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have one. I found a 2010 red one used at a Guitar Center in Lewisville, TX. There was not a mark on it and the gig bag candy was unwrapped. It does have that early 50’s beefy neck and the early 50’s six saddle bridge. It plays and sounds fine.

Strato50 likes this.
  4. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Hi, Ray. A white blonde would be a 1996 serial number with a 1996 or 1997 date stamp in the neck pocket. It's a multi-piece poplar body with a veneer front and back and the white blonde probably has an ash veneer so it shows some interesting grain. It's routed to accommodate a humbucker at the neck and Tele single coil at the bridge.

The neck is currently described as a "60s U profile." It had the same neck in 1996, but it was described differently, then. My 1998 has a 1.685" nut width and the thickness is 0.86" at the 1st fret and 0.92 at the 12th fret. It's a U profile, but has only a slight amount of shoulder. Satin finish, 9 1/2" radius, vintage frets, spaghetti logo, truss rod adjust at the heel. I really dig the neck. Lots of people buy a JBS Tele just for the neck.

A 1996 was billed as having Texas Tele pickups. The pickups are identical to the Texas Special set, just called something different initially. IMO the neck pickup is one of the best that Fender has made and works well with nearly any bridge pickup. IMO, again, the bridge pickup fits a loud, rock or hard blues tone and has an in-your-face midrange. Controls are the usual with a 3-way switch, volume, and tone on a plate. The neck pickup has an electrically separate ground for the cover, so a 4-way switch is easy to use.

The bridge is a vintage-style plate, but with 6 saddles. Some folks are ok with this, many replace the assembly. I couldn't get rid of it fast enough, as the saddles tend to shift sideways and often are the source of mechanical rattle. It's a trivial job to replace it with a vintage style plate with 3 saddles.

Typically, they're really good guitars and one of the better ones to come out of Ensenada. I bought mine new in '98. In a time of economic distress I sold off all of my guitars except for my JBS Tele. I've got mine apart and waiting to be Esquired.

EDIT: Go buy it. I'd pay a 'new' price for a JBS before I'd buy a new Tele at the same price.

5. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Got it wow! Killer Tele I guess it’s ash? I can’t find one like this one with the see through finish. Plastic still on it it’s an 05 and never played. Crazy good guitar nice neck and light.

Attached Files:

6. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Wait so mine is a 95 or 05?

7. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Likely a '95 serial with a '95 or '96-stamped body. They didn't make these in white blonde by '05, just CAR. These use a totally different serial format than the Standards, etc. Your's is a multi-piece poplar with ash veneer. Glad you got it!

8. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the info. The pickups sound great. Any idea what they might be?

9. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

It's a Texas Special set. Read my long post, above. It's a rundown of the entire guitar.

Rust likes this.
  10. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Thank you sir.

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Congrats!

Folks who want to know, what ash looks like when veneer is peeled off a log, this is a perfect example.

I agree with Archetype - if you intend to play it, take the "6 hammer saddle" vintage sized bridge off (carefully) and replace it with an AV52 style bridge with those compensated brass saddles that Darren Riley gets from FMIC. This guitar was definitely meant to be player - that neck carve is just great.

12. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

One correction on the specs. They’re alder with the veneer at least according to this.

The Standard model of the James Burton Telecaster was introduced in 1996 and features a solid alder body finished in Two-Tone-Sunburst or Candy Apple Red with a 1-ply white pickguard. This model was inspired by Burton's third guitar, the 1953 Telecaster that he played on the seminal 1957 recording of "Susie Q" with Dale Hawkins.[4] The neck is a 1-piece maple 1960s vintage U-shape design with a satin finish and 1950s-style decals. The hardware includes a vintage six-saddle Telecaster bridge, a pair of Texas Special Tele single-coil pick ups, a three-way switch and vintage chrome Ping tuners. This instrument is made in Mexico.[5]

13. burtonfan

burtonfan Tele-Afflicted

I must chime in...

I have a 1997 Burton Tele (bought new) with 3 Lace Sensor pickups, 5 way switch, strat bridge (without trem), gold paisley on black finish, poplar body, D profile neck, vintage frets, and pearloid tuners.

I own MANY guitars of various makes and models including 5 teles, and the Burton still remains my #1! I realize this thread was about the Mexican version, but I just had to comment as I absolutely love my American model.

archetype likes this.
  14. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

That's a more current spec on the body. Yours is multi-piece poplar with ash veneer. They weren't alder until about 2000. Once the neck is off and you can see the unpainted wood, you'll see poplar.

boris bubbanov and Strato50 like this.
  15. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Check it out him and Jerry Lee signed this one in 97. I remember the show. JLL came and did one set and pissed the crowd off. Lol. The guy won this off the radio and got to go to the show and go backstage where he was presented with the guitar.

Attached Files:

16. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You know after Archtype’s description if Strato50 didn’t buy it I was.

17. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Cool! I recognized JB's sig, but couldn't figure out the other one.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    Strato50 likes this.
  18. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I've got one from 2001, CAR. I've had it almost 6 years. Definitely a keeper. Replaced the rattle hammer bridge with a Wilkinson 3-saddle, otherwise left it alone. I'm told these make a good candidate for a 4-way switch, but I've somehow managed to live without it so far. My specs pretty much match those already posted, maybe a little thinner at the 12th fret, but not much.

IMG_8083.JPG

IMG_8094.JPG

JB tele under the hood.jpg

and here it is at the joint where I had a weekly gig for ten years until you know what:

MIM JB std at Hops House.jpg

Cali Dude and Strato50 like this.
  19. Rust

Rust TDPRI Member

It looks a lot like mine IMAG1396 (1).jpg

Attached Files:

Cali Dude likes this.
  20. Rust

Rust TDPRI Member

Truss rod adjustment at the nut or heel?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.