James Brown: Tearin' it up!

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I'm a James Brown fan, as well.

He was a conventional R&B singer who had a huge hit, then several successive flops. He said if I'm going to fail, I'm going to fail my own way. Once he started producing *his* music he shook the world. He didn't stay static, either, evolving his music, then ultimately devolving it into pure rhythm. Vocals, horns, keys, guitars, bass, drums, everything and everyone played rhythm. Everyone knew where the beat was and played to it. The drummer may have had his foot on the pedal, but in most later JB recordings you can't hear the kick because it wasn't needed.

He was a lunatic and a genius. IMO within an inch of being as musically influential as the Beatles. When the Beatles changed their style, pop music immediately changed with it. When James Brown changed his style, pop music was slower to change.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
I'm a James Brown fan, as well.

He was a conventional R&B singer who had a huge hit, then several successive flops. He said if I'm going to fail, I'm going to fail my own way. Once he started producing *his* music he shook the world. He didn't stay static, either, evolving his music, then ultimately devolving it into pure rhythm. Vocals, horns, keys, guitars, bass, drums, everything and everyone played rhythm. Everyone knew where the beat was and played to it. The drummer may have had his foot on the pedal, but in most later JB recordings you can't hear the kick because it wasn't needed.

He was a lunatic and a genius. IMO within an inch of being as musically influential as the Beatles. When the Beatles changed their style, pop music immediately changed with it. When James Brown changed his style, pop music was slower to change.
James Browns music changes Every one from Miles to anybody else payin' attention.
James gave us THE GROOVE.

Cold Sweat is so funky, the horns are killing it, lets hear it for the rhythm guitar player. Maceo Parker a genius of style and grace, a giant.
I could listen to this groove until I was trance bound and talking in tongues.

Last edited:

gabeNC

Tele-Meister
Watch the James Brown episode of 'Tales from the tour bus'. Especially the part about Orange sunshine.