1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Jake Bugg

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by chipbutty24, Nov 29, 2013.

1. chipbutty24

chipbutty24 Friend of Leo's

Not sure what y'all think of this young man but I for one am glad to see a bit of raw, unmassaged talent in the top 40. We need more of this and less One Direction/Bieber/Kanye/Nickelback-ness.

Seems quite Dylan-y with a dash of Oasis. Some nice pickin' on our fave git ta boot!

2. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

That's the only tune of his I know, but I do like him. I don't think there's anything remotely "Oasis" about the guy other than maybe his haircut. His style and influences go much farther back than that. I hear more primitive rock `n roll in that tune. That's certainly a good thing.

3. muttdogg

muttdogg TDPRI Member

Had never heard him when I caught an episode of Guitar Moves. Damn good!

4. Chris H.

Chris H. Tele-Afflicted

He's a good lad, owns a real 52 Tele too.

5. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

All feels a bit phoney to me

6. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

He seems to have a real love of old time r'n'r/skiffle sounds and it's great to see a real Singer songwriter with chops and talent.

7. sir humphrey

He's not doing anything new with it though is he? There's a good history of middle class English White kids rehashing old blues licks, but at least Led Zep and the Stones took it somewhere else.

This kid just seems to be a museum piece, playing old stuff with less of the feeling and no originality. Does nothing for me.

8. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

I'm not in love with his sound but AFAIK he's by no means a typical middle class English kid who likes Nick Drake. I think he's from some estate in the east Midlands.

9. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

The Guy is nineteen. As I recall Beatles and Stones first records were pretty derivative. I sense genuine passion from him and if nothing else it shows there's something else besides one direction.

10. absurdocaster

absurdocaster Tele-Meister

I agree. Haven't heard his latest but his first is a great album and came out when he was 19 so he was writing, performing and recording it before then. I doubt many of us could throw all those influences in a blender and write original tunes when we were 17-18. The Beatles etal were certainly developing their voice and style at that age but were also doing covers too. Bugg's first album is certainly inspired by others but what artist doesn't start that way? Checkout his lyrics, there is some real depth there and he can create a hook or two as well. IMO he has chops and is an artist to watch.

11. Bongocaster

Bongocaster Friend of Leo's

If I saw him and his band (including the starting at the fretboard bass player) practicing in a garage around the corner I'd give him an attaboy. On national late night TeeVee. Nah.

My high school band would have had them for breakfast.

12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Someone remind me why it's so important to determine whether his background is middle class or lower class.

13. chipbutty24

chipbutty24 Friend of Leo's

Well obviously all us armchair quarterbacks need to establish his legit-ness and make sure he's got enough cred to deserve his status.

14. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Wouldn't it be awful if Jake Bugg came from a middle class background and went to the London School of Economics?

Wait a minute, that was Mick Jagger! My bad.

15. Jumpingjank

Jumpingjank Tele-Meister

Hes a great singer i do enjoy some of his latest stuff in his newest album, Kingpin has a rockabilly feel and Theres a beast has a old train rhythm feel to it

16. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Yah boo hiss.Young ,talented ,good looking ,famous,52 tele ..............bastard .must be crap .:(

17. sir humphrey

Enhances the irony of him playing at being an old blues man.

18. FilthyFur74

FilthyFur74 Tele-Holic

I like his music, and yes, it may hark back to decades past, but which music doesn't these days. He's like a breath of fresh air compared to the seemingly never ending 80's electronic rehashing, which was just as dog crap when it first came out. If Jake doesn't float your boat then don't bother listening to him. Simples

19. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

I don't think it is, but if someone's gonna bring it up....

20. SempreSami

SempreSami TDPRI Member

Definitely a talented young fellow, but to call him an unmassaged talent is nonsense when virtually all of his songs have been co-written with professionals. Ironic then, that he feels the need to have a go at certain pop acts' authenticity for not writing their own material.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.