Jaguars

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by allthatjazz, May 3, 2015.

1. Tidepoolbay

Tidepoolbay Friend of Leo's

The Japan Jaguars are great! The Johnny Marr is another winner!

2. allthatjazz

allthatjazz Tele-Meister

The Squier looks sweet and the price tag is exceptional. I think I'll go with a Japanese one, however, as I'm a little bit of a name snob and my CIJ tele is easily the best guitar I own. Looks like I'll be fishing on ebay.

3. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I bought this Squire Jaguar about a month ago, couldn't be more pleased with it.

[​IMG]

Zepfan likes this.
  4. Twangverb66

Twangverb66 TDPRI Member

Here is the story of the Jags and how my feelings about them changed so much based on the *one*.

I've always loved the look of the Jaguar. Something about the switches, which annoy many folks apparently, really appealed to me. So, I found a white Jaguar on Craigslist and I bought it. The price was cheap (maybe $650?). And it was a Fender, not a Squier. Then I had a rehearsal. First off, it was made in Mexico (maybe 2007?) and was inordinately heavy. The white paint was too white, didn’t have that “class” to it, seemed cheap, lacking in personality. The components felt flimsy, in particular the pickup braces and bridge. Now, keep in mind, I knew what I was getting into with a Jaguar bridge, having had 2 Jazzmasters before. But as I played in this rehearsal I got more and more frustrated. Things just didn’t “feel” right. Then I cut my hand on the bridge. Blood goes all over the white guitar. I cleaned it up and sold it a few days later, swearing I would never buy another Jaguar and the model was innately bad. Regardless of the fact that many of my favorite players, both from long ago, such as Pop Staples and Joe Pass, all the way to Johnny Marr, Spacemen 3, My Bloody Valentine, etc. played Jaguars.

I found a 1963 Fender Jaguar, all original, no mods. Creamy white with tortoise guard. I had sworn I hated this model of guitar based on my last experience, though I still loved the look of it. I picked it up on a lark and started playing. Plugged into a 1950s Alamo amp. It was like magic. Everything that had felt cheap about the newer Mexican-made model was contradicted. This was an American- made 1963 Fullerton California pre-CBS Jag, and the difference was night and day. It just felt like butter. Perfect in every way. I was kind of in disbelief. Am I really liking a Jaguar? Yes.

I got it. And then I took it home and played it. I even played it a lot on the “rhythm” circuit, which most people say they don’t use. I actually like the bass tones of that circuit for certain purposes. I haven't decided and am in no rush to mod it because honestly it can achieve a good jazzy dark tone.

It’s now my favorite and main 6 string electric now and I will never part with it. I love it. Versatile, cool as hell looking, tons of compliments. And I actually don’t think there’s as much lack of sustain as is often cited. It’s got attack and sustain in equal measures. Sure, it’s not a Les Paul. You can’t go “have a bite” and come back and it’s still ringing. But I don’t really get the “plinky” thing, and if it is “plinky” then I like that. It’s also has a lot of characteristics, sonically, that other guitars don’t have. It’s not as muddy as some, and not as “blues lawyer” as some. It’s got a nice chime in certain configurations but can be jazzy and bass-toned in others.

Fender does need to get one thing straight, though. On the guitars, they call it a tremolo when it’s really vibrato, and on the amps they call it a vibrato when it’s really tremolo. Still? Really? They’re not the same thing. I love you Fender, but, why?

Viva Jaguars. Good ones though. Same goes for all guitars I guess. There are peaches and there are lemons. Just gotta find the right one. Posted a pic of mine and then a pic from a Fender book of one from the same era, same color... pretty close.

Attached Files:

5. J200george

J200george TDPRI Member

I recently snagged myself a Johnny Marr jag on gumtree at a cracking price of £940. It's Olympic White.

After seeing the above I must get myself a good tort guard asap.

Twangverb66 likes this.
  6. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Don't own one, but would love to some day. Love the neck pup on these, but the bridge pup I would replace with a fat Tele or P90.

Twangverb66 likes this.
  7. lathefool

lathefool TDPRI Member

The Johnny Mar Jaguar uses a Mustang saddle. This helps keep the strings from jumping out of the saddle. Also, the bridge has bushings placed under the bridge that keep the saddle from dropping down lower as the guitar is played. The wiring is different and it has Bare Knuckle pickups in it. The short scale is nice. The only thing I do not like about the guitar, and this is a big deal, is the inordinate amount of noise from the pickups. My Tele and Strat make minimal noise. It is so bad, I do not want to play this guitar. image.jpeg image.jpeg

Twangverb66 likes this.
  8. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Same here. I love my Fender Squire VM. Best bang for the buck, ever!
    image.jpeg

Twangverb66 likes this.
  9. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

Twangverb66, congrats to you for having Doug Sahm in your avatar. Now carry on with the Jaguar talk.

Twangverb66 likes this.
  10. Twangverb66

Twangverb66 TDPRI Member

Love the green!

11. Twangverb66

Twangverb66 TDPRI Member

Thanks. I live in San Antone and was a Doug Sahm fan before I moved here. I doubt he ever messed with Jaguar, but it seemed like a fun pic.

I agree with what some folks said that the pickups are noisy (the 6 cycle hum or whatever). This is just what happens with single coils sometimes in my experience. I just make sure I have a ground plug on the amp and am plugged into a 3 prong outlet and it doesn't seem to be noticeable.

The bridge is and has long been a source of contention, and rightly so. I got a mastery bridge for a Jazzmaster once, and it fixed "the problems" but then it didn't really sound quite the same. It's a trade-off. There's something about the resonance/buzz on the stock bridge, along with the risk factor that makes it more of a wild card. You can get a Mustang bridge or shell out for a Mastery bridge, and you won't have the slipping problems, but something will be missing. It's really just a matter of what works for you, and I believe that this actually can vary from guitar to guitar, even within the same model or year.

In recent news, I just had all 3 switches replaced, as 2 weren't working and the other one wasn't doing its best. Sounds great now. The "strangle" switch to me is very subtle and not as pronounced as what I've heard on Mustangs. Gonna keep everything stock for now unless I observe any issues. Playing through primarily 50s Alamo amps and 60s Magnatones now. Will have to go check out some of those discussions!

12. Twangverb66

Twangverb66 TDPRI Member

One more thing. I do like the 3 way selector switch versus the 3 separate switches. This was smart (if not obvious) choice they made with this. I'd go one further and suggest a single knob that ran across the tone spectrum, and you could just roll it and blend between the pickups. But that's just me. I'm sure it could be easily done.

13. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

If I had the money, I would get a Jag and put a Kinman P90hx in the bridge. I think that would be the perfect 2 single coil guitars ever.

14. Twangverb66

Twangverb66 TDPRI Member

Would be a hot sound!
    Would be a hot sound!

15. lathefool

lathefool TDPRI Member

Looks great! I played a Squier Tele with f-hole and double humbuckers last week. It was lite weight, sounded, looked, and played great. I would like to have brought it home with me.

16. lathefool

lathefool TDPRI Member

I'm not familiar with those pickups but will look into them.

17. Jushden

Jushden Tele-Meister

I'd get a squier or American. The CP jags they moved the trem forward and that messes with the feel. A few anniversary American models were like that too. Not everyone likes it. The 65 model has different sounding pickups from the 62 but the 62 has a slab fretboard vs the 65 veneer.

I have a 62 and it's fantastic. Setups can be tricky though and there's not much documentation on it for jags. You'll have to use what works on other guitars and find your own way. A neck shim can help things. Most come with a shim preinstalled.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.