Jaguars and Jazzmasters

SbS

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
There's a 60's shell pink Squier Jag on sale right now...

I only own a couple of hard tail Tellies, but now feel ready to jump in the deep end. I've read about most of the features and issues with Fender Jag-Jazz tremolo systems, but confident could be able to make it playable by myself.

Last edited:

PixMix

Tele-Holic
There's a 60's shell pink Squier Jag on sale right now...

I only own a couple of hard tail Tellies, but now feel ready to jump in the deep end. I've read about most of the features and issues with Fender Jag-Jazz tremolo systems, but confident could be able to make it playable by myself.

Unless there are specific issues/defects with a particular guitar, it should be perfectly playable as it comes. You should't expect any issues from an all stock guitar, tremolo or anything else, and even the original threaded bridges are perfectly fine for normal to moderately heavy picking. If you're strumming with an extra heavy hand, a Mustang bridge performs better.

SbS

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Unless there are specific issues/defects with a particular guitar, it should be perfectly playable as it comes. You should't expect any issues from an all stock guitar, tremolo or anything else, and even the original threaded bridges are perfectly fine for normal to moderately heavy picking. If you're strumming with an extra heavy hand, a Mustang bridge performs better.

Specs and pictures suggest it should've got the Mustang style bridge already in place (Squier CV '60s Jaguar).

The sale is from online store's (reputable one, though) storage only, so can't test the individual guitar. So, still kinda processing the idea

nathan5782

Tele-Meister
I own a 2004 Jaguar crafted in Japan and I did the bridge replacement with a Mustang bridge a long time ago. I didn't think about trying locktite until some time later, the plummer's tape sounds like a good idea too. I also have a 2019 player series Jazzmaster and that model came with better bridge saddles than the Jaguar similar to a Mustang bridge saddles but with height adjustment screws on them.

PixMix

Tele-Holic
Specs and pictures suggest it should've got the Mustang style bridge already in place (Squier CV '60s Jaguar).

The sale is from online store's (reputable one, though) storage only, so can't test the individual guitar. So, still kinda processing the idea

If you get it, you won't need a thing to get going. It's a "plug and play" guitar.

I get to wait 30 min. once a week at a guitar shop while my son takes a lesson. They had a Surf Green Squier CV Jag (with block inlays) on the floor that I played a few of times before it sold. What an amazing instrument, and not only "for the price". In my opinion, it needed nothing.

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
If you get it, you won't need a thing to get going. It's a "plug and play" guitar.

I get to wait 30 min. once a week at a guitar shop while my son takes a lesson. They had a Surf Green Squier CV Jag (with block inlays) on the floor that I played a few of times before it sold. What an amazing instrument, and not only "for the price". In my opinion, it needed nothing.
I bought the same guitar and it needed the Full Monty of typical JM/Jag adjustments to be a good player. There was very little down pressure on the bridge, solved with a neck shim. The height adjustment screws in the Mustang bridge would move on their own, solved with Loctite. Finally, the low E intonation adjustment screw was touching the bottom of the low E string, creating a sitar-like sound, so I had to carefully shorten it with a hacksaw and a file. That plus a typical setup-- truss rod, action, intonation-- and she was good to go.

Oh yeah, the trem bar would wobble in its hole, going clickety-clickety and feeling a bit loose when you use it. Puisheen had a great trick in one of his videos-- you put a tiny bit of bend in the shaft of the vibrato bar in the part of the bar that goes into the bridge hole. Then when you push the vibrato bar in it doesn't wobble or click anymore.

I almost wonder if they intentionally send them out needing all this work just to keep anyone but true fans from buying them.

Reactions: SbS

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
I have a full set of Mastery components ready to drop in my next Tele project (routed for Jazzmaster stuff). I'm even going to install the Jaguar mute (which will take a little bit of work to make it fit the Mastery bridge). Should be a fun guitar...I need to get some pickups for it. Probably a project for this winter.

PixMix

Tele-Holic
I bought the same guitar and it needed the Full Monty of typical JM/Jag adjustments to be a good player. There was very little down pressure on the bridge, solved with a neck shim. The height adjustment screws in the Mustang bridge would move on their own, solved with Loctite. Finally, the low E intonation adjustment screw was touching the bottom of the low E string, creating a sitar-like sound, so I had to carefully shorten it with a hacksaw and a file. That plus a typical setup-- truss rod, action, intonation-- and she was good to go.

Oh yeah, the trem bar would wobble in its hole, going clickety-clickety and feeling a bit loose when you use it. Puisheen had a great trick in one of his videos-- you put a tiny bit of bend in the shaft of the vibrato bar in the part of the bar that goes into the bridge hole. Then when you push the vibrato bar in it doesn't wobble or click anymore.

I almost wonder if they intentionally send them out needing all this work just to keep anyone but true fans from buying them.

The one I played didn't have a tremolo bar installed, but neither the issues you're describing. Perhaps it was already tweaked a bit, but I highly doubt the neck was shimmed. Btw, I own two Jags and four Jazzmaster, only one of the Jazzmaster has a shimmed neck (a partscaster I put together). Sometimes shims are indeed necessary, but not always.

schoolie

Tele-Holic
There's nothing like the feel and sound of a Jaguar with 0.012 gauge strings, and vintage style pickups. Probably my favorite electric guitar. Feels so slinky, and it's easier to reach for the "fancy chords". Sorry Telecasters, you're second.

SbS

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Ok, I went for it!

Squier FSR CV '60s Jaguar in shell pink

350€, new. I'm mentally prepared for setup work, shimming the neck, loctite and stuff for the bridge, fret polishing, heavier strings.. but if it's good to go from start, that's just a bonus.

Last edited:

bendercaster

Tele-Afflicted
Ok, I went for it!

Squier FSR CV '60s Jaguar in shell pink

350€, new. I'm mentally prepared for setup work, shimming the neck, loctite and stuff for the bridge, fret polishing, heavier strings.. but if it's good to go from start, that's just a bonus.
Awesome! I have a CV jag that I love. It needed a little work (polished the frets, cleaned up and lowered the nut slots, and shimmed the neck) to make it gig worthy, but I got it on sale ($400). I have a some really nice, expensive guitars, but this cheap Squier gets the most play. it's just a fun guitar and I think the pickups sound great. To be fair though, I did eventually replace the trem with an AVRI trem. Between that and the nut work, it stays in tune perfectly, even with heavy trem use.

For those that complain about the rhythm circuit, I have a few comments:
1) If you don't like it, change it. It's not that big of a deal.
2) As is, you can use it as a kill switch if you turn the volume down. Great for gigging.
3) Try it with Fuzz. Especially fizzy, spitty fuzzes. It smooths them out beautifully.

Reactions: SbS

Yuzernayme333

TDPRI Member
What's the story with Jags and Jazzmasters? They are hardy ever mentioned here. Even searching through past threads there is not much real info. Someone want to give a brief summary? Or point out a good prior thread? I see the scale difference - Jags are short. What's with the Jazzmaster pickups that look like P90s but apparently are not? Basically, what do these guitars sound like, and why would someone want one? Oh, and what's with all the many, many extra switches?
..and wot's with those metal teeth bordering the Jag pickups? (Always dug Jags, and they USED to be substantially cheaper than teles & strays, but no more. Jimmy Dawkins and Otis Rush (they look great upside down) two of my fave Jag players

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
..and wot's with those metal teeth bordering the Jag pickups? (Always dug Jags, and they USED to be substantially cheaper than teles & strays, but no more. Jimmy Dawkins and Otis Rush (they look great upside down) two of my fave Jag players
Those metal teeth affect the tone by affecting the magnetic field. Antigua Tele can give the professorial low-down.

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
Fun guitars, I have a VM Jazzmaster, my son has the VM Jaguar. Just slightly modded with Staytrem bridges, his has an American tailpiece, mine the MIM, and both have upgraded pickups over stock. I installed Bootstrap Lake Surfer JM pickups with 250K vol/tone, my son's are Fender OV's, with 250K, the rhythm circuits of both are stock.
When I don't want to pick up a Tele or a Strat I grab the Jazzmaster. It's different in a good way and makes me think about what I want to play.

bendercaster

Tele-Afflicted
I believe it provides shielding.

SbS

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Yes, and it makes them much quieter than other single coils.

@SbS Great! Keep us posted. I hope you get one that is perfect out of the box.

Thanks, I will! I haven't received it yet. Trying to get it delivered at the end of the week, when back home from a holday trip.

Wheelhouse

Tele-Meister
Speaking on JM’s since that’s what I know. Probably at least some overlap with Jags.

Traditional JM pickups are not P90’s. They’re more like squished Strat pickups; shorter and wider. They have a very wide frequency response; bass gets really low and treble gets really high. They can hang with Strats and Teles but also have their own thing. The J. Mascis Squier JM has pickups that are more P90-ish (if not quite P90’s), as did the Classic Players, and of course there slate all kinds of aftermarket options.

Switching: So the “normal” controls (closer to the floor when playing) do what you think. 3-way toggle and volume and tone controls. The pots are traditionally 1meg (as opposed to the Fender-typical 250k) which also contributes a lot to the brightness. The “normal” controls are referred to as the lead circuit.

The black switch at the top horn engages the rhythm circuit. The wheel knobs are volume and tone controls with much lower pot values (I forget what, but that’s easy to look up), making for a much warmer tone. Engaging the rhythm circuit also puts you on the neck pickup regardless of the position of the pickup selector.

The idea (if it’s not obvious from the name) is that the JM was supposed to be the Fender jazz guitar. (Traditonally, stereotypically) jazzy in its archtop-like string geometry and warm, bassy tones. Fender in its solid body, brightness, single-coil pickups, scale length and trem. It didn’t quite catch on as a jazz guitar, though it can work very well as one, and anyway nothing Leo designed ever caught on in the exact way he figured it would (Stratocasters we’re supposed to be the ultimate, deluxe country-and-western guitar. Enter rock n’ roll…).

This video shows a lot of what a JM can do:

This is a popular guide to setting up Fender offset guitars that explains some of their quirks: https://www.premierguitar.com/amp/jazzmaster-setup-2651066793

Well, that makes me want a JM, but I'm not enough player for it. Very cool guitars, though.

LOSTVENTURE

Friend of Leo's
This will be slightly off-topic, sorry! -- but I wanted to chime in quickly. When I was looking for a Tele with contours, I tried the Squier Paranormal, and found it lacking -- felt really cheap. I've played Squiers that felt great, but this one -- not at all. Might have been a dud.

I ended up with a Parallel Universe Whiteguard Strat -- Tele neck and hardware on a Strat body -- Love it!

View attachment 998755
Is this model still available? If so, where can I find it?