1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Jags and Jazz ...what hammer to use

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 24 track, Feb 28, 2021.

1. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

just got this from Reverb
    some good info ,I love jags and have not been able to find a southpaw yet that was made to original specs

Ive owned 2 early 60's they were great

enjoy

MickM, Blister, Dereksys38 and 3 others like this.
  2. RobRiggs

RobRiggs Tele-Meister

I took guitar lessons for a few months in 1980. My teacher had a Jazzmaster. I remember being blown away by the variety of tones. The Tele was more my speed (and price range :))

Fendereedo and 24 track like this.
  3. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I love mine! The Jazzmaster gets a little less love because the Jag is so much fun to play, but the sound on the JM is absolutely gorgeous.

[​IMG]

GTRJunkie, MickM, Blister and 10 others like this.
  4. 24 track

I agree those are gorgeous!

Matthias and Fendereedo like this.
  5. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

i watched that the other day...got a jag on my list...squier cv in surf green

6. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Love my Jag and Jazz master both, the JM gets the most play though. 20191224_145429.jpg 20190726_212334.jpg

7. 24 track

here's my brother in about 70' playing my 65' some where in a box I have a pic of the 64'

K2.jpg

GTRJunkie, Mxrk, koopus and 7 others like this.
  8. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I love my lefty Jazzmaster...

7.2 pounds(!), skinny frets, I wanted a 7.25" radius but 9.5" is what they make, with the skinny frets I love this neck...

I was pleasantly surprised by this guitar, the only time Sweetwater called that I actually was happy! ;)

I emailed them months earlier, they called later, said we have a new open box for $50 off, I asked the weight, told them to send it right out! :)

ICS19124152-front-xlarge.jpg

9. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

I think people often make a mistake when they lump these two models together. Different pickups, different scale lengths...makes for two pretty different guitars, really.

GTRJunkie, Blister, JRapp and 7 others like this.
  10. MikeBee

MikeBee TDPRI Member

Does anyone feel cramped on the short scale of the Jag?

scelestus, Fendereedo and 24 track like this.
  11. 24 track

even upside down mine played beautifully of course they were the early 60's so I can imagine they had a different feel to the modern ones , but I love these as much as my firebird

Fendereedo likes this.
  12. 24 track

super nice! I would be all over that!

Fendereedo and rz350 like this.
  13. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I had a righty CAR Jag that I converted to lefty, I liked it, but didn't like the frets, the weight, and upper fret access, a guy at work made me an offer, sold it to him, bought all the guts from a Cobain lefty Jag, had a lefty alder body made, bought a vintage Jag neck, still have to put it together, under 8 pounds....

Here are my old righty offsets, got rid of both..

17904172_10154772922532087_1697913248644035566_n.jpg 17904172_10154772922532087_1697913248644035566_n.jpg

Tele-friend, Fendereedo and 24 track like this.
  14. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

No more than I do on a garden variety Gibson. Why would it?

Fendereedo likes this.
  15. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Funny, I've never played a Jaguar, but I've had this for 20 years... at least 10 of which it was my only guitar.

20190518_125933.jpg

GTRJunkie, Matthias, Blister and 5 others like this.
  16. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Why on earth did I click on this thread? I have been idly toying with the thought that I should get a guitar with a vibrato again, but I was thinking maybe try a Strat, and see if I can finally get along with one. Now, you’ve got me thinking I should go Jag or JM. I DON’T NEED ANOTHER GUITAR!

17. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

I’m very conflicted with them, I ultimately had to part ways with my JM when push came to shove, but I might get a jag at some point in the future.

pros:
    -a lot of usable/interesting sounds, and the rhythm circuit makes anything you'd normally want to put on a push pull easy and unobtrusive
    -the best trem systems, feel awesome, good range, good stability
    -great neck profiles, chunkier than other modern Cs but not overdone
    -super comfortable when sitting
    -jag is easy to get an SC jazz tone out of with the lack of sustain + short scale, strangle switch is cool for fuzzes
    -JM middle is so nicely honky, and the neck dirty tone just cuts through everything, great for fuzz
    -they look awesome

cons:
    -their bridge pickups are weak and unusable for me, and they both tend to sound dull with HBs
    -jazzmaster is sort of unusable for jazz, neck clean tone is a little too shrill or honky, pickup is too far down...basically anything with that type of harmony ends up sounding like western swing or something
    -jaguar neck can feel a little cramped. I’ve only ever played one I liked the setup, so maybe I should give it another go.
    -body contour guitars (including strats) are super uncomfortable for me to stand with, the angled surface digs into my rib where I position a guitar
    -the modern compromises on the player range are either impossible or too much work to return to vintage spec, and the vintera line is too expensive compared to teles or strats. the squiers are done right, but they feel a little cheap compared to the MIMs (whereas the difference between a top tier squier tele or strat and a MIM is not always so apparent).

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Fendereedo, buster poser and 24 track like this.
  18. 24 track

under one of my pros was the jag was easy to play and the neck melted under my hands

Fendereedo likes this.
  19. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I've had a Jag (Vintera, 60s C neck w/7.25" board) since last October, and it's really my wife's guitar now. I spent a little time and money getting it right (shim, bridge), and pick it up every so often, but it just hasn't clicked with me for a number of reasons, many of which you cite. Practiced with it daily for the first month-plus, then picked up my Tele ('06 MiM, 9.5" modern C) and felt like setting the Jag on fire.

I don't use the trem at all, I fret out on bends, and while it does make chording quick changes easier, I also find my fingers bunching up in weird spots too. Sound is really just okay, I like the rhythm circuit more than at first, but the other tones just don't work for me.

I'd originally weighed the jag against a Gretsch 5420T and obviously wish I'd gone that route now. Currently considering a pre-72 spec Thinline.

24 track, Fendereedo and loopfinding like this.
  20. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

my tele is actually the reason I stopped playing my JM as much, hahah. I bought the JM as my first guitar in like 15 years. I wanted something I didn’t have to worry about getting banged around that didn’t have HBs and wasn’t a strat. Originally I was looking for a tele but there were none I clicked with. I got the JM and played it pretty heavily for about two years, but I was always messing with it (pickup swaps, wiring changes, etc). Then I bought a tele online on a whim and I left the JM behind. They’re cool auxiliary guitars, or cool for some solo stuff, but I’m not entirely convinced they are daily drivers.

24 track, Tele-friend and Fendereedo like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.