Jag pickups in a Duo Sonic? Anyone tried it?

Steve Holt

Friend of Leo's
One thing to note though...a whereas strat pickups have the ears on the side for mounting and only the coil pops up through the pickguard. Jaguar pickups are the same size as a strat pickup overall, but without the ears, so the entire thing comes up out of the guard. I don't know anything about duosonic pickups, but I'd wager they're mote like strat pickups. So you'd have to enlarge the pickguard to be able to use them. And maybe you already knew all of that.

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
Never tried it, you might be able to fit it in there without the cover, but the cover is shaped differently, and if you want the claw you'll likely have to enlarge the hole in the pickguard.

Lotek

Tele-Meister
Still waiting on some parts, but im building a Mustang with Bootstrap Jag pickups. Guitar mill swamp ash body, Squire VM Jag neck with vintage Mustang wiring plans. Let you know when its done. I opted to use 500k pots as kind of a middle ground between the Mustang 250k and the Jag 1 meg pots.

I have a pair of the Bootstrap Jag pickups in another guitar and really like them.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Thanks all! I do have several "project" pickguards available for this swap. May go angled or straight. I was also considering P-90s. I currently have S-90s installed (cheap Strat-size P90s) that work pretty well, but was wondering about the Jag pickups.

20210816_081932.jpg
IMG_20191201_162933.jpg

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
Jazzmaster pickups would look too big and bulky in my Squier Super Sonic, but Jag pickups would be cool, if they were tonally different enough from my Strats post-replacement.

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
So you have Strat pickups installed now?
No, the stock humbuckers; I'm just wondering if Jag pickups would make it sound too similar to my Strats. I want to experiment with coil splits before I go changing anything else. I like it, it just runs a lot hotter than my other guitars. It feels great to play.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
No, the stock humbuckers; I'm just wondering if Jag pickups would make it sound too similar to my Strats. I want to experiment with coil splits before I go changing anything else. I like it, it just runs a lot hotter than my other guitars. It feels great to play.

Mine came with a splittable HB in the bridge position. The tone itself was OK, but splitting the HB also drops its output. So I could either set the heights so that the SC/HB were equal (SC too low) or the SC/SC were equal (HB too loud).

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
One thing to note though...a whereas strat pickups have the ears on the side for mounting and only the coil pops up through the pickguard. Jaguar pickups are the same size as a strat pickup overall, but without the ears, so the entire thing comes up out of the guard. I don't know anything about duosonic pickups, but I'd wager they're mote like strat pickups. So you'd have to enlarge the pickguard to be able to use them. And maybe you already knew all of that.

Never tried it, you might be able to fit it in there without the cover, but the cover is shaped differently, and if you want the claw you'll likely have to enlarge the hole in the pickguard.

I’m trying to remember how, but I’ve put Jag pickups in Strat guard pickup openings, just can’t remember if the old style Jag cover fit.
I know a Jag bobbin/ coil fits in a Strat pickup cover though, just has the wires at the ends but the rest lines up.
I’m at work so I’d have to look at the pickup when I get home.
Overall there’s not really any tonal gain to making the swap.
Jags sound different but the pickups don’t really.
The claw has no obvious tone enhancing qualities, if you compare the actual same pickup with and without it, at the same height in the same guitar.

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I like the idea of it, and I toyed with the idea of Jaguar pickups in my Mustang-ish, but in the end I went with Strat pickups. I’ll be watching this space. (For the record, I can accept an occasional HB in a Tele or a Strat, but by gum, a Duo Sonic or a Mustang just ain’t right without single coils!!!)

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
I’m trying to remember how, but I’ve put Jag pickups in Strat guard pickup openings, just can’t remember if the old style Jag cover fit.
I know a Jag bobbin/ coil fits in a Strat pickup cover though, just has the wires at the ends but the rest lines up.
I’m at work so I’d have to look at the pickup when I get home.
Overall there’s not really any tonal gain to making the swap.
Jags sound different but the pickups don’t really.
The claw has no obvious tone enhancing qualities, if you compare the actual same pickup with and without it, at the same height in the same guitar.

The fix I am in is that the current pickups are made similar to a P-90, and are not a typical Strat pickup. They are a little gnarlier. They aren't bad, I was just considering going to a traditional SC Mustang/DuoSonic style pickup (with a sweeter tone), then I thought, would a Jag be different? I have had Mustangs and certainly like their tone, but have never owned a Jag. What I usually do when I make a change is to buy a new pickguard and install all-new electronics. Then I just swap the pickguards if I want to change back. So I have 2 loaded pickguards lying on my pile of crap in my workroom.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
The fix I am in is that the current pickups are made similar to a P-90, and are not a typical Strat pickup. They are a little gnarlier. They aren't bad, I was just considering going to a traditional SC Mustang/DuoSonic style pickup (with a sweeter tone), then I thought, would a Jag be different? I have had Mustangs and certainly like their tone, but have never owned a Jag. What I usually do when I make a change is to buy a new pickguard and install all-new electronics. Then I just swap the pickguards if I want to change back. So I have 2 loaded pickguards lying on my pile of crap in my workroom.

Easier to try Strat pickups from the 1000 flavors menu since they fit a Mustang guard, but go for whatever!