1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Jack white

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ce24, Oct 11, 2020.

1. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

To me, any artist that elicits a visceral love/hate reaction is doing their art correctly.

I've dug Jack White in pretty much every project he's been involved in. He's talented, creative, and a bit of a smart ass, but bottom line....The dude plays rock and roll. It's supposed to be dangerous, imperfect, and not for everyone.

2. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I appreciate your thoughtful post yeah the tune did stagger around a bit, like my favorite old uncle thanksgiving.
    For me there are a myriad of performance transgressions that performers that actually bring it, that indefinable term :to bring it or bringing it.
    Wednesday nights at the MABUHAY GARDENS had a lot of garage/punk band that were bringing it but were still very much diamonds in the rough. That's why I went, to miss the over polished Jetsam Flotsam of the latest thing syndrome.

Skully likes this.
  3. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

He's a lot like Kid Rock--guitarists either love the stuff or they hate it.

Jack White got a most of his shtick from Dex Romweber; remember him from the Flat Duo Jets?

Here's Dex in a more...sedate musical situation. He's more often hard into the thrash-n-bash presentation style, but this vid shows what a wonderful rhythm player he is.

KW1977, Sparky2, 68tele and 1 other person like this.
  4. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

You do know that you just described every single music critic who ever drew a breath and wrote a column, magazine article, or blog in the past 75 years, right?

;)

tubegeek likes this.
  5. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

I really don’t like his singing

sloppychops and Torren61 like this.
  6. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I agree: music critics wearing cargo shorts have got to go!

7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Check out the raconteurs record from 2019. On Spotify or whatever.

it’s great. Jack whites last solo record is not an easy listen. There is cool stuff in there but it’s not an immediate homerun like the raconteur release .

Jack fully admits and gives Dexter Romweber credit as well as the Gories.

and, like a lot of people that he idolizes and respects, he put his money where his mouth is and has put out releases by both on Third Man.

8. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I thought it was really good.

JW lost me with his album a couple years ago. But this is fine form!

Torren61 and MilwMark like this.
  9. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Holic

Too hip for the room... :cool:

telemnemonics likes this.
  10. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

"Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes everybody liked, they left that to the Bee Gees." - Wayne Campbell

(edit: *write tunes... thanks those of you who "liked" it anyway haha!)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    Torren61 and Obsessed like this.
  11. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

You are absolutely right as far I am concerned. I think from what I noticed while watching it might get loud is Page seemed more in tune with White probably due to his history the music he has made was simply something that may have come from Zep had they not split. Just an observation..

Torren61 likes this.
  12. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

He did his job for sure Saturday, like already pointed out about the switch-up last minute. The thing that has kept me wondering is what was the drums set up with the skins leaning towards the stage for? To quiet them Down by projecting the sound away from center stage?

Torren61 likes this.
  13. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

I get that and I really appreciate that same sort of thing. In film school, I preferred the imperfect student films with that spark of originality and the unique ideas over the ones that earned praise for their polish and/or their noble message. I've seen great opening acts -- bands whose names I can't remember -- who had that thing where their execution might not have been perfect, but they had a freshness and, more importantly, unique musical ideas and presentation. And I can remember The Kinks coming on "SNL" in 1981, nearly two decades into their career, and giving a killer performance of "Destroyer." I can remember Iggy Pop winning me over with his performance of "Eat or Be Eaten" on "Late Night with David Letterman" in 1982. White was doing a less interesting version of what he broke through with nearly 20 years ago, mainly because the songs weren't there.

OMG. Like musicians aren't gossipy bitches, full of schadenfreude.

14. Munchie99

Munchie99 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Grumpy old man here digging the hell out of all the grumpy old man discussion. Here's my grumpy old man opinion: Jack White is a beast. He came in on a couple of days' notice after SNL booted Morgan Wallen for being a douchebag and posting himself on TikTok out drinking in a bar when he was supposed to be observing covid-19 protocol during the week he was on the show.

We can argue about top-40 pop country vs. rocknroll, slick 21st-century Nashville vs. a live high-energy power trio. But tell me which one of the following belongs on live television these days.

First, here's some Morgan Wallen lyrics, from "The Way I Talk," a bro-country song about how country he is:

Yeah it's, "Yessir, no ma'am, y'all come back, now"
    Fighting words if you run my last name down
    I ain't ashamed, matter of fact I'm damn proud
    Of the way I talk, y'all
    I sounds a little bit like my daddy
    I don't cuss around my mama
    Got some words you've never heard
    'Less you come from down yonder
    The man upstairs gets it
    So I ain't tryna fix it

Now, here's some Jack White lyrics from his first number, adapted into a White Stripes song from Blind Willie Johnson's "Jesus Is Coming Soon," about the 1918 Spanish flu epidemic:

The nobles said to the people, "You better close your public schools
    "And until death passes ya by, you better close all your churches too"
    I done told ya, they done ya
    God is comin' soon
    Great disease was mighty, people were sick everywhere
    It was an epidemic, and it traveled through the air

On top of this, JW and his tight-ass band performed live as hell, his drummer was a force of nature, his bass player was dead-on perfect and wore a shirt with John Prine's name on it, and JW finished his second song, on a guitar designed by Eddie Van Halen, with some EVH tapping.

But yeah, they coulda had Morgan Wallen singing about beer and pickup trucks and these colors don't run and **** like that.

Grumpy old man has SPOKEN.

15. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

Yikes. You need new friends.

16. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

I like that Sunday Driver....the other one was cool too, "Steady as she Goes"? Can't stand White Stripes, appreciate what he's doing, not my bag baby....

17. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Drums were set up in pre-1920's fashion that facilitated traditional stick grip.

Sparky2 and Torren61 like this.
  18. Doomguy

Doomguy Tele-Meister

I like Jack White as a concept. Fuzz and noise are pretty cool. I'm just not a huge fan of the execution of the concept. His vocals really annoy me in particular.

Black Keys are better.

Skully and tubegeek like this.
  19. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Upon reflection of the interesting comments made thus far in this thread, my take and my adoration of JW's stuff is that I believe his early White Stripes stuff was a reaction (along with many other bands of the 90s) to the highly processed rock of the 80s and brought the rawness back on purpose. I think he is still trying to insure that rawness and I think it is a tough road to haul with modern technology available to every studio engineer these days. Kudos to him for holding that line.

BTW, I think there is confusion between "chops" and "raw". Finger tapping harmonics is not raw and his brief nod to EVH's style stood out because of this dramatic difference, but nevertheless, it proves that he has the "chops" whenever he wants or desires to throw them in.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    sloppychops, Wally and ale.istotle like this.
  20. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

I wasn't enraptured with the performance, but it was rough and fun, and sure was a lot better than most of what passes for music on SNL. It's good to see someone who embraces ragged energy over ProTools perfection.

sloppychops, Wally and Sparky2 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.