1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Jack white

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ce24, Oct 11, 2020.

1. arnie5150

arnie5150 Tele-Meister

The most "rock and roll" moment that I've seen on television all year! Jack was unpredictable and dangerous. At any moment I thought it may fall apart but it never did. I absolutely loved it!

2. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Right, I’m gonna have to get up now, trudge downstairs and see what all the fuss is about. Probably get in trouble too, for waking the rest of the household. The risks of rock and roll...

Obsessed likes this.
  3. smoothrecluse

smoothrecluse Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I think he’s fairly technically skilled, And can play melodically and fluidly, but chooses rawness most of the time. He’s also not half-bad on piano.

And just because I like it, and it’s produced well, here’s one of my favorite Raconteurs songs.

4. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

Oh yeah.

For the record, I really like Jack White & what he does, and I thought that was great.

Also for the record, I have no problem with folk who want to come in on a ‘celebratory’ thread and express a contrary opinion. It is discourse after all. I guess it depends on the manner and intent, but that applies to all parties.

Having read the whole thread to date, I find my thoughts running, rightly or wrongly, along the lines of, “Hey, this is like a Bonamassa thread. Same arguments, just everybody’s changed sides.” :lol:

Pax/
    Dean

Obsessed and MilwMark like this.
  5. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

I don’t know much about Jack White and haven’t heard much of his music. I just listened to his performance on utube to see what all the fuss was about and this old man thought he was great!

6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

I knew this thread would come down to :

1.) “Chops” :rolleyes: and what that even means and how important that is to you

Are you more entertained by a half hour of Guthrie Trapp (or similar) or by Jack White ?

And , which one do you find more “valid/musically worthwhile” ?

2.) Where are you on the Beatles/Clash continuum ? (Did punk ever mean anything to you ?)

That’s my take but - I’m biased.

I remember hearing the name “White Stripes” locally right after their first record came out.

“Remember that duo that played at Dally In The alley ? You gotta go see them at the Gold Dollar ! They’re funny and - amazing.”

It took me until about 6 months after De Stijl came out and then I finally heard them and went - “ohhhhh...punk+blues+tunes = holy crap...”

And I was way older than the majority Of that scene/audience , but it even reached my jaded ass...:lol:

7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Joe - more “chops”

Jack - wrote the tune below

(whichever is more important to you - do that )

GWG

8. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Getting back to the SNL performance this past weekend, I enjoyed it. I’m not a JW fanboy.

gregulator450 and MilwMark like this.
  9. MrCoolGuy

MrCoolGuy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Exactly right! You would think people would get it... with age...
    Everyone goes through that whole deal where the older generation doesn't like their music... you would think that once they become the older generation, they would understand.

bsman likes this.
  10. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I thought they were pretty great "real" performances, most SNL performances seem faked to some degree these days. Nothing wrong with real.

I like a lot of Jack White's stuff, sometimes it's exhausting to listen to.

A couple of my takeaways about Jack White:
    - He has way more chops than people give him credit for
    - He has made it very very very clear he sees no point in playing polished stuff like the people here criticizing him want to hear. He doesn't think that has much value at this point
    - He wants to "trigger" people who expect all rock and roll to be "conservative" (not in a political sense)
    - He's 100% absorbed down into his bones that every rule conservative/staid musicians think is a rule is supposed to be broken to make people feel uncomfortable from time to time

This is all just who he is and what he wants to say through his music.

All the polished emphasis on "chops" is why Rock is Deader than Dead right now.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    Obsessed, tubegeek, basher and 6 others like this.
  11. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

https://www.tdpri.com/attachments/773594/

I am a grumpy old man but every generation has to have their hero's. If it's done well I like it. If ****'s outta tune then nope. If the drummer didn't know which end of the stick to use, as long as he/she's on time then it's all good.

Liked that drummer.

I saw a clip of Taylor S doing a hip hop song complete with dance moves and back up dancers.... omgawd...unreal in every sense. No offense to hip hop but do what you know.

12. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I know where you're coming from. The antidote? Put on some Guided by Voices. Or Built to Spill.

ElJay370 likes this.
  13. LAPlayer

LAPlayer Tele-Meister

I've found over my limited 40 years as a working musician that musician's are almost completely supportive and respectful of other working, or trying to work, musicians. I've found that "critics" sit on their couches or behind their computers and criticize that which they wish they could do. I love musicians of all ilks but despise critics. They're always telling you why you should think like them.

stepvan and gregulator450 like this.
  14. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

Yup - when my son (now 37) was a teenager, I wasn't terribly impressed by a lot of the music he was listening to (rap), but I never asserted that "my" music was superior or ran down his - I listened with him, and discovered some stuff I enjoyed. Conversely, (perhaps because I wasn't insistent) he now really enjoys 'classic' rock, but still seasons it with stuff like BOAC, Atmosphere, etc. :)

MrCoolGuy likes this.
  15. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I am not a dedicated Jack White fan. I am a grumpy old man...nearing 70. I thought that SNL performance was bad ass rock and roll.
    i can see why Jimmy Page might enjoy any playing time he might ever have with Jack White. After all, Page is a Link Wray fan, and Wray dealt in this type of sonic excursion as well as some stage presence beyond making the little girls scream. I thought White had total command of his instrument and effects. Did I hear some instances where there was dissonance to the ‘normal’ way some would want to hear things. Yes! Did those microtonal excursions work for my ear? Yes! Were they intention? Yes....he bent the necks on [email protected] of those guitars at those times to get exactly what he wanted to hear. It was intentional, controlled...and raw rock and roll, imho. Jeff Beck a master of microtonal moments, and Jack White was on the same plane of Sonic excursion, imho. Yeah...I am a Jeff Beck fan. I also like microtonal Asian and Middle Eastern music.
    There is one thing for sure. Jack White gave a more honest and musically interesting performance than would have whatever was coming down the pike before the latest country music star with no sleeves and a gimme cap would have brought to the stage. I loved that raw rock roll played on the bridge pickup of that Tele.
    ommv...but it was rock guitar without a doubt.

Obsessed, arnie5150, tubegeek and 6 others like this.
  16. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

Most of the stuff I'm hearing today sounds like nursery rhyme versions of their influences. Music that is too simplified to have lasting interest, very forgettable songwriting, baby-talk vocal deliveries, parody emotion and over exaggeration, less about genuinely good music and song and more about surface level aesthetic in place of it. What I'm getting at is less about being young and raw and more about having good taste in the first place in order to know whether they have something interesting to say.

A current band who is doing the real deal.

Taking a look back. This would have put Tedeschi at 24-25 years old.

17. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I do believe you have hit the nail on the head, good sir.

MilwMark likes this.
  18. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

He was very dynamic, the drummer and bassist are triple scale ++plus-good horror show.
    Very well rehearsed, with lots of juice squirting out the seams, I guess Jack isn't planning a move to a more "matured" style.Which is great for my money. That's what I like about giblets ,tasty and chewy.

19. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Let me reiterate the nuance I tried to inject with initial post. At first, I was initially captivated by the performance: it was raw and energetic, and the guitar sounded nasty (in a good way). I initially thought, "This is good!" Then the songs went nowhere, and I thought, "This is not!"

I bought The White Stripes' second album 19 years ago. I've liked a few of White's tunes since then, but I found nothing captivating about the ones he played on Saturday. Over the years, I've been turned on to many acts by their "SNL" performances. Someone else mentioned Joe Bonmassa threads and that this was somehow a flip of those. I don't know about that, because my exposure to him and those threads is limited, but before I saw that post, I thought that this might be a case like Bonmassa, where it's all chops and no memorable tunes. To me, on Saturday, White was like that classic "great live act" that falls apart on record.

But maybe it's more than that. Is it that I didn't feel he was connecting with the crowd/camera? The vocals were largely garbled and something about his manner was a little too internalized.

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  20. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Holic

Jesus, everyone is such a critic, yet I'm sure none of you talking smack have an ounce of the notoriety and credibility JW has, and nobody knows who you are. It's like the bloated, overweight beer drinking sports fan who yells at the television during the game and thinks he knows better. I'm sure most of you when you gig wear cargo shorts and what not. Get a grip!

I've never been a JW fan but can appreciate that performance, especially after learning he was approached as a last minute fill-in. Dude brought it.

stepvan, Sconnie and MilwMark like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.