1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Jack white

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ce24, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Meister

I thought he was great, and it was nice to see some rock and roll on late night tv again. First song's lyrics were cool, and that drummer was brilliant.

2. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Just saw the first Jack White performance on SNL. Except for the muted vocals I had no issues with the performance.

I’m still watching

Obsessed and Torren61 like this.
  3. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

We don't get SNL in Australia, but the Oz media is always banging on about it, which is a bit weird.

Anyway, as you were...

Torren61 likes this.
  4. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Try this version.

I prefer Ben's version to the original, TBH.

- D

Pasta Player and 24 track like this.
  5. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

The second tune is just noise. Maybe I’m not high enough (‘60-70s) to enjoy the wanking going on

6. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

And quite practical in my opinion.

MilwMark likes this.
  7. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Meister

I finally watched two of the videos from SNL last night. You either like Jack White or you don't. He definitely has his own sound, and it's not to everyone's liking. I'm not real into his octave pedal, spastic style, but would consider myself a fan.

ce24, Torren61 and gregulator450 like this.
  8. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I read many of the fail posts regarding the live jack white SNL performance and thought wow! ouch ! When did they start issuing barbed wire keyboards with the razor wire spell check? Harsh stuff ... verging on cruel and insensitive. o_O Naughty-naughty over-employed music & cultural critics. ouch!

I just watched the second song performed on SNL and was stunned and amazed by the contrast between the hate mail and the actual performance that I watched.

Well... different strokes for different folks, live and let live, the smallest act of human kindness is never wasted and don't that beat all. Folks surely continue to amaze, I'm thinkin' that there's definitely something conscious-altering in everybody's water not just Flint Michigan's, I mean, jumping geez-hose-an-accordion player. It's a rough business to be in obviously.
    24b8e6fc2512e6b132b41e76cb40a92e.jpg

Obsessed, gregulator450, ce24 and 2 others like this.
  9. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

I loved Jack's SNL performance. I think it was the best live music performance I have seen in a long time. I was truly blown away.

While watching the news finish up before the start of SNL, my partner and I were discussing who the musical guest might be in light of the cancellation. I remarked that most of the bands we see on SNL are bands we have never heard of, but every once in a while you get an established star and they blow the roof off. That is what happened last night in my opinion.

In fact, I thought the entire SNL episode was great. One of the best episodes I have ever seen.

Others have mentioned the EVH connection with Jack's guitar choice in the second set. I read in another article that EVH helped Jack get that guitar made to Jack's specs, so the connection was personal beyond just the obvious connection to the model.

10. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

I thought The White Stripes were a bit of fun when they debuted. It shouldn't have ever been made into more than that, but somehow it was made into way more. There is far too much junior league music up front these days and very little of the really good stuff. And it has nothing to do with age. Most of the greats did their great things at young ages or some of it at early ages. But the music that is pushed to the front these days...those people should still be at home woodshedding and developing their music, not being heralded as music greats. It's all pretty phony, if you ask me.

I'll be in my woodshed, and if I'm ever ready I'll come out. The world doesn't need more half-baked music right now.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    KW1977 likes this.
  11. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

I didn't see the SNL clip.

I unreservedly love the White Stripes, and I think Jack White can be utterly brilliant.

I think this clip of the Stripes is pretty much incredible, especially when they start "Party of Special Things to Do":

Obsessed and 68tele like this.
  12. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Holic

Think people are forgetting that music is a form of art and is as much about expression as it is playing some very safe pentatonic scales over a l, lv, v!

I just watched it. That was rock n roll energy! Loved it.

Ya’ll sound like 1950’s middle class white ppl seeing rock and roll for the 1st time. I love that his performance upset ppl. That’s what music needs!

13. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Afflicted

When they started i liked the White Stripes, but today i would rather hear Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music
    for a week than 2 Minutes of Jack White and his hysterical voice and guitar licks.

Always the same stuff since years.

KW1977 likes this.
  14. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Liza Minnelli in Cabaret

:)

15. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Been a fan since De Stijl. I thought he killed SNL.

16. sixstringbastard

sixstringbastard Friend of Leo's

I think that Jack White was fantastic on SNL! It was great seeing a live band and not just lip-synched dancing

17. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I feel as though Page really respected Jack White over the Edge from what I could tell from it might get loud.

Obsessed and LAPlayer like this.
  18. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Can you elaborate? What do you mean “not ready” or “half-baked” or “phony”?

Also, what are bands that don’t exhibit these things? Most of the rock bands in the cannon emerged raw and not fully fully formed (thank goodness).

Obsessed likes this.
  19. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I don't watch television, but we are blessed with no less than a dozen online resources to view such recommended performances.

I watched the Lazaretto segment from beginning to end just now.

Jack White and his two partners did a superb job, and clearly their timing and execution revealed no small measure of practice and rehearsal.

Jack is not a technically skilled nor a fluid, melodic guitar player, this much is true.
    But he is an original artist and a passionate performer.

It takes a lot of cojones to get up on live TV and tear into a song medley like that.
    My hat is off to him for that.

:)

LAPlayer likes this.
  20. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I really enjoyed it. Energy, timely content, nod to EVH.
    Also, doing this as a late substitution. I can't find the article now, but one of the write-ups had comments from Lorne Michaels (show producer). Something to the effect that they asked Jack what he needed for a stage rig and he just said 'surprise me'. So, you're rolling in on little notice with an unknown set-up and deliver.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    Obsessed and LAPlayer like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.