1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Jack white

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ce24, Oct 11, 2020.

1. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not a big fan, and I don't own any of his records. But, I find his use of the whammy and octave pedals quite creative, and whatever other effects he had on. It was a very unique sound, but still sounded like a guitar. And, using a custom 3 pickup Wolfgang as an homage to EVH was cool too.

2. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I read an interview with Jack and Jimmy Page a dozen or so years ago, actually before "It Might Get Loud". As they got I to their influences, it turns out they listen to the same old blues guys from before WWII. If that hasn't changed, Jack White is going to eventually going to find himself in the same place as Zeppelin.

I personally dig Jack's vibe/sound, and think he's quite an innovator. It has taken me 20 years to get to this point though, LOL.

Pasta Player likes this.
  3. gregulator450

+1 on this. Those are some of my favorite things to watch on the Tubes.

4. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I always have the need to compliment good humor. That was hysterical. I like, wouldn't say love, Jack White and what he brings to the table for sure and last night was pure rock-n-roll. I do love the comic though.

5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I love Jack White's stuff all the way. Last night's performances were great IMO. He is the one that brought me back into "new" music after a 15 year hiatus. He is at the top of his game when he is with his drummer who has been with him for quite some time. My wife is a big fan too and thought the performances last night were great too. Gotta like the EVH nod and his lyrical twist on his "Ball and Biscuit" song.

6. gregulator450

His recent pedal collaborations have made for some really cool and usable effects, IMHO, like this one.

telemnemonics, DougM and MilwMark like this.
  7. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

His music has always been style over substance to me. Training wheels rock n’ roll at best.

8. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Not everyone has to like Jack White.

I do, very much, but I cant listen all the way through Get Behind Me Satan. Put the piano away, we're done. Literally took it out of rotation in my car at the time because there were 2.5 songs worth hearing on it(first track, last track, one towardmiddle...). Stark contrast to DeStihl, WBC, self titled, or even elephant, where theres few if any songs you always want to skip (cough, 7nation army, cough) . Icky thump had less good songs than the other studio albums, barring its predecessor, but not as many standout unknowns either.

Solo stuff continued on like Icky Thump in that mix of good or memorable stuff. Raconteurs stuff also did, but he'd gotten help writing by then, and this last record felt solid.
    Even the simplicity of the caveman level completely of the licks in "now that you're gone" is just simplicity driving a princeton and the song works fine for it.

He'd be the coolest guitar gear nerd neighbor EVER CONCEIVABLE.

But I'm not bothered by people not liking him. He covers Dolly, Dylan, Son House, and teegan and sarawell.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    Mad Kiwi likes this.
  9. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

On the short list of musical artists that I truly wanted to see a Backlund guitar strapped to, Jack White was right there on top.

10. gregulator450

If you look at old kits from the very early 1900's, players played with their drums bass-ackward from how we play today. It facilitated playing a drum set with the old marching band traditional stick grip. I have yet to watch the performance but seeing these pictures made me immediately think of those old drum sets.

EDIT: watching now, and the drummer appears to be going back and forth between traditional and matched grip. Also, listen to how the snare and toms have that super aggressive crack of an attack... partially due to the angle at which his sticks strike the drums. His set is very much a 1900's-1920's style set, which fits with the music Jack likes to emulate.

Screenshot_20201011-141252_Chrome.jpg

11. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I come back and after facepalming that wang guitar thread, I saw this, and face palmed again. Heh.

Jack White is the s**t. Loved his music since the early WS years, but didn’t get along with post WS stuff too much. The SNL clip was killer. What’s to complain about?

12. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Woah. That’s actually something different and damn innovative, IMO.

13. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

He had great stage presence for a drummer because of it. The low-slung open setup let him move around quite a bit. Dude was rock solid too.

14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Oh OK that makes sense that he was thinking of Eddie when he chose that guitar.
    It’s been a long time since I saw that VH guitar as an artist model as opposed to just absorbed into the fabric of generic modern guitar design.

15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

The White Stripes was the first 21st C sign I remember seeing that maybe Rock was not yet dead.
    First 21st C CDs I bought too.
    I was surprised though at how many musicians didn’t seem to see it that way.
    The oft bitter response was and still is odd.

Some of it was funny like all the discussion about his gear, as if the sort of mysteriously not-like-the-others band could be found in his guitars and amps.

Almost seemed like a magician misdirecting our attention and making it more magical.
    Kind of magical the way they or he got so much out of so little.
    What I hoped was that bands and kids with plans would cop some of the brazen attitude it took to not rely on five pieces for a big sound and show.

16. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

this is where I'm at...i do that with lots of artists.....Prince being one lol.

Pasta Player likes this.
  17. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That pretty much says it for me. I generally like noise-infused bands, but I guess I just don't "get" him.

18. DLReed

DLReed Tele-Meister

I love the White Stripes and most of Jack's outside work. I really liked this performance. I bet it was incredible in that room!

19. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Have seen him a bunch - in tiny venues and big.

punk + blues = I’m happy

Loved it when it was just the two of them and love his recent bands (both drummers - male/female - he uses are fantastic)

The last Raconteurs record is very, very good. He and Brendan balance each other out.

20. bluemud928

bluemud928 Tele-Meister

watched the clips in this thread... that was great stuff

Obsessed and LAPlayer like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.