1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Jack white

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ce24, Oct 11, 2020.

1. tubeToaster

tubeToaster Tele-Meister

I’ve seen that drummer with him in the past and he had the same weird setup

Obsessed, Torren61 and telemnemonics like this.
  2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

You talkin'da me?

If a performer fails to make me wonder WTH is happening I'm going home wishing I hadn't paid good money fer nuthin'!

I like Jack for what he brought to the tired R&R burgers & fries genre.
    Rock is supposed to bust some s#!t up but it pretty much became product and lost all the danger.
    Same with Jazz, got pretty dull and formulaic aside from a few who more often than not are more brainy than dangerous.

I liked Jacks performance last night but would have liked it better if he got more crash & burn.
    All cool though, he came and he did his thing and it worked, still upset a few conservative R&R'ers.

sloppychops, Torren61 and MilwMark like this.
  3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

When I played drums I had a pretty odd setup with floor toms up top, but this is a new one.
    It's good to bust down conventions in the pursuit of creative music.

Nightclub Dwight and Torren61 like this.
  4. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

Just watched them on YouTube there and thoroughly enjoyed it. He's always watchable and interesting, I'd say if you there watching it live it would have blown you away.

ale.istotle, Bill B, tubegeek and 3 others like this.
  5. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I’m always surprised when a large chunk of a forum that is about guitars and ostensibly for musicians apparently can’t understand or appreciate authentic guitar-driven rock.

He had it all in that show. Danger, precision, dynamics. Tight, tight, tight band. Short, sweet, daring, pointed solos. His command of dynamics and the instrument, and the mic, and the stage, are really impressive.

He does have elements that weren’t there in the 30s, 60s, or even 70s. Thank goodness.

6. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Nope. Not a message for you.

telemnemonics likes this.
  7. tubeToaster

tubeToaster Tele-Meister

I recently saw Jack White’s performance on the virtual Bonnaroo 2020. The performance was from Bonnaroo several years ago.
    He seemed to play everything purposely out of tune but made it work. Micro tonal? I think he would be better if he lost the whammy pedal.

Torren61 likes this.
  8. DjimiWrey

DjimiWrey Tele-Meister

jack white is a genius at getting paid... my respect for that

rocksmoot and ReverendRevolver like this.
  9. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

But he didn't play any memorable songs. Oops! He's done okay -- just okay -- in that department in the past, but last night was a big nothing. Chops and tone ain't enough. You need some ideas, not just wankage. If that's all you've got, I'd rather watch Lizzo sing, "hair toss, check my nails."

10. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

11. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I saw Jack live with the Raconteurs a few years ago, it was an amazing live show. Jack is a forceful performer - very much himself, sort of a blend of Prince, Pete Townshend and James Brown that night. Jack's performance on Saturday Night Live last night was, from my viewpoint, a powerful, masterful, high energy performance by a Rock And Roll trio who played well together, sounded like no one else, had a sense of rock/blues history and had a great groove.

Were the songs he played on SNL last night the best in his catalog? No, but so what?

12. jwmccain

jwmccain TDPRI Member

Absolutely loved it.

13. Torren61

So you came into this thread to post how you DON'T like Jack White. I used to do that. I was somehow convinced that my opinion actually meant something and that others would find it interesting especially that I was a contrarian to the thread subject. I was sure that I could change the minds of others who were posting how they liked the subject of the thread. Yeah, I was a jerk back then. But no more! Yay me!!

Bella, Bill B, Mad Kiwi and 3 others like this.
  14. Torren61

THREE times you've posted how you don't like Jack White in a thread talking about how he did well on SNL. Yeah, cranky old man alert...

Mad Kiwi and ce24 like this.
  15. Skully

Dude, who made you the thread police? And who are you calling jerk, in your not-so-round-about way? Furthermore, what type of person insists on only agreement in a discussion forum?

StrangerNY and tubegeek like this.
  16. Torren61

I guess the answer to all three questions would be... me. You'd really benefit from not posting in threads about subjects you don't like when the thread creator is only saying they like the thing you don't like. Now, go watch Lizzo.

ce24 likes this.
  17. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I noticed that too. The drummer had the whole kit tilted away from him. Very odd.

Stanford Guitar likes this.
  18. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

It was class all the way....it was also a tip of the hat to EVH! In case you missed that.

19. Skully

Mm-kay. I'm gonna pass on the advice and from this point forward refrain from paying you attention in way, shape or form.

20. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Chops? I mean, I can tell he has them, but mainly through the dynamics, musical changes and precision during chaos.

Wankery? Where? Solos were brief and direct. Wild.

Memorable? Some of those are pretty famous and memorable already.

Need ideas? I mean, I don’t even know how to respond to that. They guy overflows with ideas as a creator and producer. Crossing genres. Blending and bending them. Reinventing himself, his bands and his music repeatedly.

I don’t listen to his stuff often but every time it grabs me and I wonder why I don’t listen more.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.