1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Jack white

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ce24, Oct 11, 2020.

1. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

He killed it last nite on SNL. one of the few i admire these days in this era of DMS or whatever the dancing boys call them selves.

Wally, Buell, stepvan and 26 others like this.
  2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Can't stand it. Cant stand his music. The worst performance I ever saw on SNL (which are regular it seems) was Jack White a few years ago. It was nothing but noise the entire song. At least last night there was 5% of song in the noise. Not even listenable IMHO.
    Obviously we like different stuff. I like most all types of music well done, but I don't call that... music or anything close to music.
    Enjoy what you like though... it's ok with me! :lol:

Fretting out, DrASATele, trxx and 7 others like this.
  3. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I'm just not a fan,

I try to like him, but his 'thing' ( IMO) is to honor and sonically destroy a lot of the music styles I love in the name of innovation/ an original take on these styles....
    But to me it just comes out as noise and annoying.Loud

In the first 'do not mention/ blues tune' what kind of drumming was that?

* funny, this stuff works with Beck with me as it seems like genuine
    performance art and music

Maybe it's just that Jack White bashy-band attack, but it gets to me

ISmellSmoke, ruger9 and hemingway like this.
  4. basher

basher Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I’m a fan. I thought the SNL sets were fantastic.

5. Chandlerman

Chandlerman Tele-Meister

Enjoyed it. Love his energy.

6. johnny7

johnny7 Tele-Meister

Jack White is a bit of an acquired taste. I have never liked his music. I didn't care for the songs he performed on SNL. I do give him credit for being authentic. It is refreshing to hear something raw on TV rather than the sequenced layered pro-tooled lip synced drivel that is usually showcased as live music. Will he reinvigorate the blues by his performance? Probably not. Will he encourage others to pick up a guitar after watching the performance? Again, probably not. I couldn't even decipher the words he was singing. What was he trying to say and show?

All that being said...it was live....it was authentic...he is talented but just not my preference as an artist.

drmordo, Rocky058, LAPlayer and 3 others like this.
  7. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

I like the idea of Jack White. I don't much care for his music.

During the first song, I thought 'When did Jack White become Led Zeppelin?'

But I imagine I do appreciate him more than a lot of stuff out there. I mean, next week's music guest is Justin Bieber.

pixeljammer, Peegoo, dan1952 and 6 others like this.
  8. carvingcode

carvingcode TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

It's a lot of show and he hits you in the face with his tone. But like johnny7 said above, it'a great to hear something authentic.

We should support authentic in whatever form it takes. Difficult to find in the music industry.

Flakey, stepvan, hemmings and 10 others like this.
  9. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

In a TDPRI context, it's relevant to point out that Jack White is a complete and utter gear geek. Definitely 'one of us.' And playing a tele for one segment too.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    Peegoo, ale.istotle, stepvan and 22 others like this.
  10. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

It was great to see some sweaty rock ‘n’ roll for a change.

Flakey, 8barlouie, ieatlions and 14 others like this.
  11. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

I like Jack White. The whole early white stripes schtick was doing cool stuff with deliberately limited resources, which made the rawness really cool. Back then, contemporaries were nu metal, late 90s alt rock, and then all those "garagy" bands that all tried to dress retro. Due to timing, he was way more authentic and creative than them.
    Raconteurs stuff and his solo stuff can be hit and miss.

But, I was listening to rock, grunge, punk, and psychobilly during most of the White Stripes run, so noise and over fuzz wasn't really going to bother me any. I can see him being an acquired taste. His guitar playing is kinda like Dylans singing in that way, it is what it is, and I'd be shocked if everyone liked it.

12. Pasta Player

Pasta Player Tele-Meister

Well, I’m an old geezer with my own musical preferences (& opinions) and while Jack White might not be my cup o’ tea… I certainly appreciate his effort(s). Remember when Rock & Roll was young and considered to be just noise (or the work of the devil)?

AND if you’ve not yet seen or heard “It Might Get Loud” (Jack White with Jimmy Page & U2’s The Edge) I do recommend watching*. Here’s the trailer:

*Especially if you’re a fan of Mr. Page.

matty428, MisterZ, stepvan and 13 others like this.
  13. ce24

Yeah he even has one of those 50s vinyl record on the spot booths....Neil Young is a fan... For whatever that is worth....I'm a young fan too.

14. ce24

I like show... It's what rock n roll is!

15. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I support original genre music no matter what it is , this doesnt mean I like it , but i do support it , originality can break convention with new approaches that are interesting , Jack whites music , I lost alot of interest the first day I heard 7 nation army , I knew the radio stations would rotate that tune 5 times an hour for 2 years , and I could not listen to it after that . but having said that any thing consistent and new is absolutely great in my opinion,

LAPlayer and ce24 like this.
  16. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

His guitar sounded great and I was initially impressed, but the songs were big nothings and the arrangements went nowhere, so it ended up being totes Blues Hammer.

KW1977, pixeljammer and ce24 like this.
  17. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I didn’t see his performance, but I dig 90% of Jack White’s projects. While I don’t play like him, he inspires me to be a bit more raw and fearless in my playing.

For reference, I also like Hound Dog Taylor, RL Burnside, Lightnin’ Hopkins, Junior Kimbrough, the Black Keys and a lot of other raw/unpolished performers.

18. ce24

I just turned 70 and still play in a classic rock band.....I love originality and JW has that uninhibited devil may care outlook.

19. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I have tried to like his various projects but I just don't. Good luck to him, but I just don't see enough good songs.

And the Raconteurs don't seem to have any songs at all.

matty428 likes this.
  20. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

... at least it was live, and as others said "authentic"... I really liked his PBS American Epic Sessions, but the SNL stuff, hmmm...

ce24 likes this.
  21. smoothrecluse

smoothrecluse Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I love him. The White Stripes’ cover of “Death Letter” is great.

And on his own, “Love Interruption” is great as well. He can do more than make noise, but sometimes, it’s just fun to make noise.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.