1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Jack grounding issue

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by whoanelly15, Nov 30, 2020.

1. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Afflicted

Hi all-
    Cleaning up, refinishing and putting together a guitar of my brother’s that has been in a box for 20 years as a Christmas gift for him (will have its own thread to follow). Having an issue with the jack though. I haven’t finished setting up the bridge and trem, and haven’t strung it up, but after soldering things in today, I can tell that the pups are live and the switch works as it should. It is an HSs, 5-way Strat layout. There are some parts here and wiring in particular that I haven’t worked with before. Specifically, the gray wire with an insulated conductor. From what I see, this should go from the volume pot to the jack, with the white inner wire going to the hot tab on the jack. Like this:
    upload_2020-11-30_19-1-7.jpeg
    That’s not mine, but you get the idea. Got that. Here’s what I’ve got at the volume pot:
    upload_2020-11-30_19-4-14.jpeg
    The insulated white wire is in the middle tab on the volume (as it should be) and the shield fibers (forgive me if that’s not the proper terminology) is grounded in that bug solder blob on the back of the pot.

I’m getting a lot of hum and noise when plugged in, and the jack feels finicky - hum goes on and off with applying some over pressure or changing positions a bit. With a 90 degree jack however, I can rotate it and when the metal part of the cable is in contact with the jackplate, it goes quiet and all is well. My question is, do you think the jack is just worn out? Was I wrong to use the shield wiring to ground at the jack? Or is there a chance that there is a grounding issue elsewhere that might still cause that particular symptom? Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Nelly

2. whoanelly15

Volume pot is working fine, for what that’s worth.

3. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Replace the jack. Easy to do. Buy the Switchcraft brand.

4. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

yeah bad jack is more common than you think. hard to troubleshoot without surgery

DDickens and whoanelly15 like this.
  5. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

I forgot to stress you should check your cable first. If you don't have another one, plug into the other end.

whoanelly15 likes this.
  6. whoanelly15

Thanks all. Cable is good. And I have a spare jack in the parts drawer. I’ll give that a try, probably this weekend. I’ll report back if there’s any issue. If not, I’ll have a full thread with the completed project. It’s been a fun one.

One last question tho - would you use that same gray wire with the insulated white wire and use the shield to ground, or would you just run two separate wires? I have some nice cloth wiring on hand, as well. Just a thought.

7. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted

Poor soldering (aka really crappy soldering): evident dry joints. Resolder all suspect joins (which in this case looks like all of them).

teleplayr likes this.
  8. whoanelly15

Thanks again, all! Replaced the jack and that's all it took. For mostly 35-year-old components with some less than expertly done wiring after a bridge pickup change (by gosh knows who), all works perfectly fine with the new jack in there. Here is a link to the thread of the completed project. Cheers!
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/evh-tribute-project-1-of-2.1056427/

DDickens likes this.
  9. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Outstanding!

The short-tang jack that went bad is cheap junky imported stuff; they work fine until they don't.

Switchcraft (long type) are bulletproof.

[​IMG]

whoanelly15 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.