1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Jack Bruce used this bass on "Disraeli Gears?"

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Valvey, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Valvey

Valvey Tele-Holic

No wonder I couldn't get that sound with my EB-3.

[​IMG]

2. Taildragger

Taildragger Tele-Meister

Cool pic. Here's another which, judging by the bass, threads and shoes, was taken during leaner, pre-Cream times

[​IMG]:

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

There’ll never be another JB.
    He was truly a singular artist.
    Sure glad he was here.

4. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Loved Jack. Miss him. I'm sure he'd sound great on any bass. He really set the bar back in the day - Love the other Jack (Casady) too. Same applies.

5. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Hi Everyone, new guy here who has played Fender Basses for 40 plus years and loves most things Fender. I did have a mid-sixties Telecaster which I loved and very stupidly sold back when buying and selling used 60's guitars and basses wasn't such a big financial deal. Also had a few Telecaster Basses. Lots of P-Basses.

Jack Bruce was always far and away the coolest Bass player so I couldn't resist chiming in here. I love the contrast and details of the photos posted here. I'm going mostly from memory of books here so correct me if I'm off. Jack was fooling around with the Longhorn during the D.G. sessions but I haven't seen anything definitive on what songs he may have used it on if any. I think it's a safe assumption his Gibson EB-3 was used for most if not all of the recordings. The earlier photo shows him with the Bass (obviously P-Bass inspired) he got sometime in 1963 for a side-session while he was in the Graham Bond Organisation. Bruce then got a Fender VI Bass but used the first bass as well in various groups post GBO. He settled on the Fender VI into the formation of Cream and used it for the "Fresh Cream" album. Sometime after he had the Bass VI painted to compliment Clapton's psychedelic SG but had issues with the paint not drying properly. The oft-maligned and more documented Gibson EB-3 came along which he played for the duration of Cream well into his solo career and other ventures. That's about it without going into lots more paragraphs. Jack of course was simply amazing. Disraeli Gears gets the lion's share of attention but for me he hit an even higher level as an artist in the studio side of "Wheels Of Fire.

Anyway thanks for letting me drone on.

6. Taildragger

Taildragger Tele-Meister

Cream's volatile mix of personalities and talents certainly did yield some exceptional moments.

BTW: anyone who digs Cream and hasn't watched this, should:

7. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Reminds me of my former father in law, except Baker is a lot nicer. In fact, when I saw that film I was disappointed that he wasn’t douchier, based on what I had heard prior to seeing it.

Rich_S likes this.
  8. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

According to Graeme Pattingale, who compiled a large amount of info on Cream's gear on his website, that's what Jack used on Disraeli Gears. Graeme had an extensive website for years, dating from the 90s, don't know if it's still up.

A large part of Jack's tone came from playing through an overdriven 100 watt Marshall Super Bass. But Jack sounded like Jack, whether he was playing one of his EB-3s, his Warwick fretless, or whatever.

WingedWords likes this.
  9. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Cool info, I wasn’t aware of...feeling better about my Jerry Jones4 Longhorn & custom made, Coral Dano Longhorn, hollow body, with a Hammon Darkstar.

dan1952 and Taildragger like this.
  10. Taildragger

Taildragger Tele-Meister

Another shot:

[​IMG]

11. Taildragger

Taildragger Tele-Meister

And another:

[​IMG]

12. Bassman8

I can't get to the website but it sounds like it was (is) really great. Mr. Pattingale contributed to the Chris Welch book in which Welch writes "In Cream that quest led Bruce to a flirtation with a Danelectro Long Horn Bass, noted for it's unusual "twanging" tone, before settling on the Gibson EB-3 that became his main instrument from Disraeli Gears onward." However the "Special Thanks" to Pattingale (and two others) is for their contribution to the diary section of the book. So possibly Mr. Welch got the instrument information elsewhere. As you said, the amps, Jack's attack and the mix don't make for easily trying to discern one bass from the other even with their sonic differences. I couldn't find anything definite on the web except varied opinions though most do seem to feel the Dano was on some of the DG tracks. No matter what I would like to see the list of what bass was played on what tracks so I could revisit the album trying to find any hints. I'd like to see EC's list too, as from the photo sessions there seem to be a small handful of 6-strings about. Anyway, not trying to ruffle feathers here...I just love Jack Bruce. And sorry if this is too much off the Fender track.

GotRoot?, soulman969 and dan1952 like this.
  13. Smiff

Smiff Tele-Holic

You not seen? They love Gibson round here! :lol:

dan1952 and bftfender like this.
  14. Bassman8

That's good, I like Gibsons, though for me EB-3's and T-Birds to a lesser extent have been a love to hate/hate to love relationship.

15. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Well to be fair, Gibson basses don’t get a lot of love anywhere.

dan1952, broadcaster and Smiff like this.
  16. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

While you're raving about Jack Bruce: Bass Player.....don't forget, he was a heck of a vocalist and song writer.

RodeoTex, dan1952, RoyBGood and 2 others like this.
  17. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Yep, I've had a '61 EB-0 bass that had the finish stripped for almost 20 years, I still have the hardware/pickup etc but I feel like I could buy one for less than having someone do a top shelf restoration to it. Those golden era Gibson are made of magic Mahogany and Brazilian RW with top shelf crafsmanship which blow their contemporaries away...unless it's a Bass, or an ES125/150, or a Lap Steel, or a Sheraton, etc :lol:

nojazzhere, bftfender and broadcaster like this.
  18. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

I have a Dano and can't get that Jack Bruce tone either:

Front.jpg

FWIW I don't think Jack cared that much for the "fart tone" he got with Cream:

The sound of your bass with Cream was so unique. Why did you switch to a fretless bass?
    I had done that and I wanted to find something a bit more interesting for me. I'd done that. When I played with Frank Zappa on "Apostrophe," he really accentuated that distortion. There's a place for that or at least a certain amount of it. And certainly in the olden days that was about the one way you could get the bass heard was by cranking it up and playing very distorted. But as technology improved you can now get a more pleasant sound and still be heard. -JB

You can read the rest here: http://bit.ly/2Fd0rDG

GotRoot?, nojazzhere and rze99 like this.
  19. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

My favourite bass player by miles. A superb composer and singer too. His solo albums are great - especially my own favourite, 'In From The Storm', which has tasteful guitar playing by Steve Hunter all over it. The two 'BLT' albums with Robin Trower are worth checking out.

Bassman8 likes this.
  20. Bassman8

Great interview. Thanks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.