Jack Bruce and the Fender (Bass) VI

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by srblue5, Jun 19, 2021.

1. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Holic

I came across this clip earlier this week (it's a lip-sync job, in case you couldn't tell by Ginger Baker's enthusiastic drum miming :lol:) and it got me thinking about Jack Bruce and his Fender VI.

What (other) recordings did Bruce use the VI on? He must have used it for Fresh Cream in '66 and Cream gigs from '66 to '67, when it was ruined by the paint job by The Fool (I pity The Fool...). What about before Cream? Any links for what I should check out?

As an aside, I have a Squier VI that I use as a bass (and occasionally a baritone) and am always impressed by how it plays and sounds.

Fretting out likes this.
  2. Jim W

Jim W Friend of Leo's

I have seen pictures of JB playing the Bass VI when he was in Manfred Mann! And I think Graham[​IMG] Bond!?

3. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

i'm pretty sure he used it on everything cream, no? or do you mean other than cream?

4. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

I loved my VI S2 and got it because Jack played one, rather than Jett Harris playing one.

Damn I miss that thing badly

5. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I don’t have anything regarding the bass but....

That has to be the best most awesome air drumming ever!

6. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Holic

If I remember correctly, Bruce used the VI until '67, at which time Clapton and Bruce had their instruments painted in psychedelic fashion by The Fool. However, the VI was ruined in the process -- I've read various accounts, such as the paint impacting the electronics and/or making the neck sticky to hold -- so Bruce began using a Danelectro bass and later the Gibson EB-3, although the VI (with psychedelic paint job) appeared in some TV promos and such. So he would have used it on Fresh Cream and possibly some Disraeli Gears tracks, but I don't know for certain.

I am interested in any recordings (audio or video) of Bruce with the VI other than Cream, if anyone knows of any.

loopfinding likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.