1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

J. Rockett “The Dude”?

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by Hendrixlvr, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Tele-Holic

23A7E83B-462A-4BCD-B6E0-0F46697D3BCD.jpeg I just discovered this pedal the other day and I’m a little surprised it doesn’t get more love everywhere. Never played one but all the demos I’ve heard it sounds absolutely killer.

smooth and creamy lead tones yet a nice snarl for rhythm. The fact that the “ratio” knob blends your clean signal with the drive signal like a Klon is ingenious!

Anyone have first hand experience with one?

Treynor likes this.
  2. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

First I've heared about it. i'll check YT

The Dude.jpg

Treynor and Hendrixlvr like this.
  3. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I like mine. You are correct though - it doesn't seem to get much attention.

4. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

It is a great drive. I played one at a shop and really liked it. Planning on picking one up in a few weeks. I don't need any more dirt pedals but I always want more dirt pedals. Pretty sure it's supposed to be a Dumble style. What I noticed is there are a lot of nice spots, not just 1 sweet spot.

Archer is a good pedal too.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  5. Glen W

Glen W Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Great pedal. It can turn my old Princeton Reverb into a thumping beast, and cleans up nice with lighter touch/lower volume...so I'd say it's quite touch sensitive. Also sounds great with my old Deluxe Reverb and Super Reverb amps, as well as my newer Marshall Origin 20C.

I use it for medium-low to medium gain - around 10-12 o'clock on the ratio knob. Kinda thick-sounding compared to a Barber Gain Changer, which I've had for about a week now, and prefer for the lower gain stuff.

I've so far had good luck being able to always get get good sounds out of the Dude. The treble and (especially) deep knobs are really interactive.

6. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Meister

Looks like a very cool pedal. Like a Fet drive done in a very sneaky way. I believe its a Dumble thing. The Dude being Alexander Dumble.

Treynor likes this.
  7. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Tele-Holic

Ever use it as an always on pedal? How much does it “colour” your tone at those low gain settings? It sounds fairly transparent on the videos I’ve seen

8. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

It's a great drive, works great into a clean amp "as a dirty channel" (one of the best I've found). Doesn't get a ton of love only because it is a great overdrive in an OCEAN of great overdrives. It's also considered a "Dumble" pedal, and there are alot of those as well.

I actually don't use mine much, because I get most of my gain from my amps (Hot Cat), however on the Princeton it can make the PR sound like the Hot Cat. I keep it mostly to use in a backline situation, where I need a good rock tone but might have to plug into a DR or Twin or something.

I only have 2 complaints: no battery (the smaller Rockett enclosures are too small), the silver knobs w/tiny white lines are invisible. I swapped the knobs out to white pointers.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    Glen W, Hendrixlvr and Treynor like this.
  9. Glen W

Glen W Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'd say there's a bit of coloration, but it's probably not much different than switching to the amp that it is said to be emulating.

As good as this pedal can clean up with light touch/volume back-off, I wouldn't use it always on. But that'd be just my learning curve after years of straight-in, cleanish playing with Strats and Teles into BF/SF reverb amps...hitting the strings hard to get into and out of the greasy sweet spot.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.