J.R. Kohler Saddles!! Amazing!!!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Bill Hullett, Sep 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill  Hullett

Bill Hullett Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

A couple of months ago, my interest was peaked by a thread Johhny Isaacs had started where he spoke of how well he liked theses new saddles. I went to the webpage and was intrigued by the design, and so I thought that they were worth a try...I got 1 set of brass, 1 of copper and 1 of cold rolled steel..The brass wound up on my Nachocaster, the steel wound up on my Tele Humbucker (like the Jeff Beck/Seymour Duncan guitar) and the copper ones are set to go on a Tele that I'm finishing up. Here is MHO of the bridges.

They are amazingly well made.....They have a very unique locking taper and the machining is first rate for sure...I put them on and was able to get my strobe tuner out and set them up with ease....Given the fact that they have three different angles they are designed to be as "INTUNE" as possible and they certainly hold true to that (I won't say that they're perfect intonation because I don't want to get caught up in the slog of trying to proove how perfect is perfect) ((I'll say that they intonate way good enough to never cause hassles on the most demanding Nashville sessions ))

The really odd thing that I noticed straight away on both guitars was that each guitar has a decidely better articulation in the sound. the notes seem to be more even across the guitar and the guitar just speaks better!! So that was really flipping me out !! The attack and tone of the guitar is better than before....The guitars just overall sing better... Not to mention the nice thing about these bridges is that they are sized well enough that your strings are always away from the height adjustment screws and they naturally place the string right over the magnet center on the rear pup too!!

I've use these bridges for about a month now and something else that I noticed that was very cool... In the past there is somthing about my playing style that makes the E-A bridge piece walk away from the other two bridges and I have to occasionally take a screw driver and bump the bridge back.....NOT SO with the Kohler they sit right where they need to be...

All in All I'm really flipped out on these things!!!!!! The are ultra high quality and perform and sound great! I'm sold! I know that some will feel that they are a little high priced, but I can assure you the quality far out weighs the price here! AAA+++ In My Book Check Them Out!

http://www.jrkohler.com

Bill Hullett

2. jeremypodom

jeremypodom Tele-Afflicted

Glad you like them! I've come to the personal opinion that this tone quest everyone is on is 90% mental, but for our wallets sake I hope not. Personally I find this saddle obsession a little crazy! But I'm not one to talk necessarily, I've got graptechs on my strat. I'd rather go for saddles that are comfortable and functional. I have never heard any discernable difference between regular steel block, bent steel, brass 3 barrel, six saddles, or my graphtech saddles. I just find the graphtech to be the most comfortable and well machined of all the ones I've tried.

3. Bill  Hullett

Step By Step....

Teles are like 1/4 mile drag racers...... you can keep tweeking them and each improvement will get you a little better than the next pretty soon you're slaying everyone!!!!! These Bridges will get you a better E.T. down at the Tele Track!!:lol:

Bill Hullett

4. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I think that saddle material, shape and size makes a difference on a telecaster. I changed out the saddles on my tele just a few weeks ago from brass compensated saddles with the big notches cut out, to big round tilted SS saddles and the tone, attack, articulation, sustain of the guitar acoustically and plugged in is a lot different. These Kohler saddles look cool. It looks like they all kind of butt up against each other tightly. I think there are varying schools of thought on that, but I'm not sure.

5. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

I like Kohler's idea of the saddles touch.

This takes that theory 1 step farther 1 saddle its made for a Tele lap steel so probably might not intonate on a guitar that plays chords. Might work on slide.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"BigAss Bridge"
    Replace your puny three piece saddles with this oversized stainless steel one piece 3/8" diameter bridge. Comes with two adjustment bolts, and retro fits all three saddle vintage style Tele trays. Increased mass = more sustain and better tone! It's the perfect compliment to your RedNeck equipped Tele, or use it with a nut extender.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Mightyaxeman

Mightyaxeman Tele-Afflicted

I don't think it's cool that pros can write advertisements for their buddy's merchandise like its some amazing new thing that everybody must try. Let them pay you to do that in some magazine. This forum is about the most basic of all guitars. We've seen all the snake oil pitches hundreds of times. The simplistic design of the broadcaster/telecaster was right from the start. Anything additional is personal choice and should be left to the individual to make those choices.

7. gsh1968

gsh1968 Tele-Holic

8. Bill  Hullett

well......

Hey, I'm just excited about a great product and have a forum full of Tele friends that I want to share my experience with...I've used a Tele almost exclusively as my electric for a long time and as great as Leo made it there is room for improvment and this is one major upgrade. YMMV

Bill Hullett

9. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Bill might be a pro, many on here are. (Some are just more successful than others.) All of them are still individual members just like you.
    Have you never discussed, or wanted to share getting a new guitar or accessory?
    I take all these kinds of recommendations with a grain of salt, even from the more well known members, but if I was already looking for something I'd appreciate the info.

10. lewis

lewis Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for your review Bill.
    Your participation in this forum does not go unappreciated.

11. Zagnut

Zagnut Tele-Meister

Everyone's entitled to their opinion; some I agree with, some I don't. I do agree with the above statement that, "This forum is about the most basic of all guitars." To me that also includes the changing of pickups, neck profiles, wood selection, bridges, saddles, strings, tuners, etc, that many owners and manufacturers do, including Fender. I'm personally thankful Teles are no longer 1 1/2" pine bodies without truss rods in the neck. But hey, that's just my opinion. :rolleyes:

12. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen TDPRI Member

EXACTLY Bill - I agree.

I bought a set of Kohler saddles a couple months back - 2 sets actually, a steel set and a brass set. Like you I put the brass on my Nocaster but I switched the low E / A to a Kohler aluminum saddle. The previous saddles were stock Fender.

I notice more articulation on each string - the brass Kohler uses in these saddles is clearly different than the stock Fender brass - it sounds clearer to me.

I'm gonna try the steel saddles on another Tele soon .... when I get time (GRIN)

The design is very nice on these - the ends of each saddle are beautifully cut to fit together and touch. The end cut is curved, not a straight cut like the stock saddles, nor is it cut straight but on an angle like a Glendale type saddle.

I haven't tried the copper ones, but they look really cool. I myself am just a gear queer and guitar player. I tried the saddles because I know Bob from his posts at The Gear Page as a guitar player. I'm glad I DID try them - they actually make a difference.

As always, YMMV, but I think they're really cool! Horses for courses and all that, but these Kohler saddles are another great option for one's personal tone quest Tele customization.

Hope this helps, Dana O.

PS - I'm not actually a new member, but it's been years since I've posted on TDPRI - nice to be back!

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I've long been intrigued by Chuck Prophet's Squier (yeah the one that was stolen and recovered recently) and the strange bridge on it.

I love innovation and tinkering, and many of you guys here have seen the 2 barrel design I did a couple years back.

[​IMG]

The thing I was running up against was, the saddles worked fine on some guitars and not others. Because of the way some guitars naturally "wanted" to be set up, I was right up against the limit of what gave me acceptable intonation and string height. Others, like the Nashville above, worked great. My apologies as the bridge is only roughly correct here- more adjustments and tinkering while the image loads - as usual.

I can't for the life of me figure out how you can possibly get the right string height and how you can get acceptable intonation. Just seems like all the inconvenience and the burden in loss of playability gets shifted to the player. Of course if you play the same guitar for 25 years, you get used to and can reinvent the way you play to exploit the guitar, but how many are ready to do that?

[​IMG]

Every image I see on the Kohler site shows all 6 strings at the same height. Dunno about you, but I can't play well with all 6 strings on a flat plane - they need to follow a natural radius. It doesn't appear to me that Kohler cares if you get the natural radius or not - if you articulate the matched saddle pieces for more tilt, don't openings appear?

14. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

As I remember from a post Bill made way back he likes his saddles set flat across no radius.

15. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'd like to be added to the above list. As much I enjoy reading the opinions of ALL tele lovers I really feel that some folks go way over board in bashing the opinions of those who have actually made this instrument thier life's center and means of living.

I don't read every post but I think we all know who is a player and who is a "playa".

Thank you Bill and all the others whose opinions are based in experience rather than heresay...

16. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen TDPRI Member

Hey Boris -

EXCELLENT saddles in the above pics - really cool solution, I dig it!

Fun seeing you over here (GRIN) at TDPRI.

I hear you and I agree, there's no "one size fits all" saddles solution that will work for all Teles and all players - we all know that. This is Bob Kohler's solution, and it has some merits IMHO.

The edges of the Kohler saddles touch better on a 9.5" radius than on a real flat one. The cut and beveling on the edges of these saddles is not a simple curve - it's pretty pricey machining. In a perfect world, Bob could probably offer sets of saddles that were optimized for a particular radius, but right now, these are Bob's version of the good 'ol Tele compromise - closest he could get to a universal solution. I think he's done an excellent job but it won't be perfect for everybody or every Tele.

They touch as well as or better than other intonated saddles, such as Glendale, do on my guitar - stock Nocaster w/ 9.5" radius. They're a significant improvement over the stock saddles as far as intonation and tone, but I think you het a nail on the head - NO set of saddles will work perfectly on every Tele or for every player.

But I love Teles - they're so simple to customize, I had to try 'em - and I'm glad I did.

A couple other guys - for example Ron Thorn and his one piece "Brass Knuckle" Tele style bridge is another approach, but since it's one piece, it has to be pre-radiused for whatever neck it's going on, and whatever scale length so it intonates.

So many choices, so many compromises, so many solutions - wish I had more $$$, I'd try 'em all.

Man, you GOTTA LOVE TELES!

Thanks , Dana O.

17. BobbyB

BobbyB Tele-Afflicted

IMHO.....I can definitely hear a difference in the material the saddles are made of (brass; stainless steel; Graph tech) all slightly different. So I love to hear when a member finds something new they like. Ultimately I make my own decisions on what goes on my guitars.
    Thanks Bill!

18. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Quick question...does someone know what that bridge PU is on the guitar Scotty Alexander was playing in the demo vid? Thanks!

19. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Curious Bill, what saddles did the J.R. Kohler's replace?

They look great, although to me it's a bit off-putting that the aluminum saddle is only available as an extra, you can't substitute.

If you want a set w/ aluminum E&A it's $90!!

20. Bill  Hullett

Stephant

:Stephant,
    They replaced my Glendale saddles which I would by all acounts have to say is a great product... If JR Kohler bridges hadn't come along that is what would still be on my tele. My observation is that these (Kohler) are a next generation in forward thinking as a bridge solution. And it's not my intention at all to bring discredit to Dale when I say this....He makes an outstanding product .

Mark Davis is correct....I run my Bridges totally flat as to get the smoothest response from my rear pickup which has flat magnets I've done it this way for the last 35 years .....Everyone calls me crazy but no one (insert many of my tele heros) ever thought that my guitars felt weird when they picked em up to play:eek::lol:
    Thanks
    Bill H.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.