J. Mclaughlin Meeting the Spirits in Ann Arbor Mi

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Randypttt, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Randypttt

Randypttt Tele-Afflicted

mac.jpg mac2.jpg

Saw John and the crew this past Wednesday. I'd been hoping for a chance to see his 4th Dimension assemble but didn't think it would happen since he hasn't toured in the States for a long time (that I know of).

This is the band that really clicked for me. I haven't heard such a cohesive assemble since his very first Orchestra. All his other bands have been a little "off" for me (even though, I still own most of it).
    I would have been happy to miss the last 3rd of the concert with the older materiel but it was a joy to hear.
    I had never heard Herring or his band before but found them an able Jazz Rock type band keeping the 70's spirit alive. Didn't cover any new ground in that area but Herring is an interesting guitar player none the less.

The only downside was having the bass drums on both sets EQed for maximum depth and projection. I think the sound guys thought it was Slipknot on stage or something. It washed out the whole bottom and muddied up the bass players sound, which was too bad because you could hear them when it was quieter and both had great tones.
    And when the volume level increased during solos the guitars and keys got lost. The concert had it's moments to be sure but watching the energy of the players just going for it was incredible. Just like 1971.

They're about half way through the tour so if you haven't seen them yet I strongly suggest you find a way. It's more than nostalgia, it's great music.

2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

This would annoy me as well, and I like bass heavy music, just not in this context.

Cool show, I wish they'd bring back Shakti..

Randypttt likes this.
  3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

For the past 10-15 years, I've been more and more bothered by the trend to heavy, overpowering bass in the sound mix. EVERY band and performer seems to be doing it this way. The only show I've seen recently that didn't do this was Steve Winwood.....'cause he doesn't have a bass player...just handles it on the Hammond....bass pedals or left hand. He could actually benefit from having a bassist on some songs, but it would have to be someone with good taste and a sense of musical style. (Hey....call me Steve.....I'm available :) )

Jim W, Randypttt and BorderRadio like this.
  4. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I seen them in Philly/Glenside last week,I guess. Jimmy Herring and the Invisible Whip were just as much a highlight for me. I expected Johns playing to be spotlighted more. I, my wife, and a lot of the others in the crowd, seemed to think the 4th Dimensions drummers, Ranjit Barot, vocals/scatting (rhytmic solfegge, I'm told is a S. Indian rhytmic language), wore thin fairly quickly. Maybe I am an unsophisticated musician/listener. It could have also been the sound guy miced him up to much. Maybe its a regional thing.

GeorgiaHonk and nojazzhere like this.
  5. Randypttt

Randypttt Tele-Afflicted

Myself as well. Crazy stuff.

While I don't share your disdain for the Indian rhythm exercise I admit it's an acquired taste. I first heard it done on the 2nd Shakti album, mid 70s, and thought WTH?
    He's featured it a number of times with different bands so I'm acclimated. But he was mixed down a bit in my performance so I had an advantage there. It can be boring.
    Thanks for posting

GeorgiaHonk, Jim622 and BorderRadio like this.
  6. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

I saw John McLaughlin in DC last week. It was a dream come true. I never thought I'd hear the Mahavishnu material live.

GeorgiaHonk and Jim622 like this.
  7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool!

GeorgiaHonk likes this.
  8. GeorgiaHonk

GeorgiaHonk Tele-Holic

Thanks for the review. Looking forward to seeing them in Atlanta later this week.

9. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

If you’re in an old theater, especially one as shoebox-y as the Michigan theater, and you don’t like the mix ? Move 80 feet /200 feet , down a floor/up a floor.

I’ve been to a bunch of shows at the Fox, the Michigan theater, state Theatre, grand Circus theater a.k.a. the Detroit Opera House and The only thing they have in common is they weren’t made for amplified music .

I’m antsy as it is So I like to get up and move around during a show and I constantly want to hear what the mix sounds like all over the place.

Yeah, the sound guy might have a heavy hand on the lower end of the spectrum, but you’d be amazed at what overhangs , mezzanines, and where you are in relation to a wall will do to the sound .

You can especially remedy a bass heavy mix by moving around, and I don’t care if I have to stand to have it sound good .

I’ve always viewed seat numbers on a ticket as more of a suggestion than anything else...:lol:

Regardless, sounds like it was a good show.

Randypttt likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.