J Masics Jazzmaster - crap after a couple months

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Adelbatross, Aug 4, 2014.

1. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

I know several people who are very happy with their VMJM. I don't know anyone with the J. Mascis (though I lust after the purple sparkle -- which color did you get?). Does anyone know if they're made in different places or anything? It does sound like you got one off the lemon tree. Even cheap tuners shouldn't have that sort of problem.

As for the VM Jag, I have one and I like it a lot. Maybe I got a good one. Yes, the rocking bridge is loads of fun to set up, but once it is it ought to be fine. I haven't had any electronic problems. I went into that with my eyes open, though. I wanted something close to an original style Jaguar, which the modern player isn't. And it was inexpensive enough to take a chance. I figured that even if I had to swap out everything except the body and neck, I'd be ahead.

2. spankdplank

spankdplank Tele-Afflicted

You may have gotten a lemon, but offsets are tricky to set up and just because your tech can set up a tele or a strat doesn't mean he can set up an offset. there are a lots of little tricks to getting an offset to work right and stay working right that a lot of techs don't know, won't spend the time to do and have no experience with. I have a Squire VM Jag and a Squier VM Jazzmaster. Both were not gig worthy out of the box. They each needed a neck shim ($0), Locktight on the bridge posts ($.01), Buzzstops ($25 each), nut filing ($0), cap and resistor volume pot mod (not strictly necessary ($2.00) and graphite/oil lube on the nuts and saddles ($.05). All in, I spent $230 for each guitar, and $26.03 for tweeking. I did the work myself. Both guitars now intonate and stay in tune very well, play easily and sound good, for a total of $256.03 per guitar. I have played and gigged both guitars while my USA Fenders stayed at home. Both guitars started as unplayable and ended up in the regular rotation. Don't give up on Squier offsets because of your experience. They can be made into excellent guitars for very little $$$, but it does take a little time and a tech who knows offsets.

3. Voodoo Dust

Voodoo Dust TDPRI Member

I've had mine since early 2012 with no problems whatsoever. Sounds like real bad luck on the part of the OP.

I have no intonation problems, everything works, it stays in tune forever even with tremolo use and I dropped it once or twice. I'd pick this guitar again over a lot of guitars twice its price. I don't want to sound like I'm raving, I just want to provide a different perspective.

My model is one of the earliest ones, though. I bought it as soon as it came out, so maybe QC has slipped since then. (the Squier JMJM is made in China)

It does ding very easily though, which I don't mind.

4. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

<This. I've had the same suspicion on some of my cheaper guitars/necks-inexplicable changes in a neck or body requiring a completely new setup and/or fret level when one had already been done.

5. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

For me, the MIM JMs ('Classic Player' series?) have the wrong pickups, the wrong bridge and the wrong trem placement... at three times the price of a VMJM. And while I might prefer alder to basswood, in practice, it doesn't really make much difference to me. I've been gigging my VMJM for over a year now... I've replaced one pickup, installed a Warmoth bridge, changed one pot and the pickup switch. It looks great, plays great, sounds great and stays in tune. What more can you ask from a guitar... especially a 'cheap' Squier?

6. wildkat-bob

wildkat-bob Tele-Afflicted

I had the same problems with every VM Squier I owned, always had to adjust the neck repeatedly, and on most had to level and crown the frets. The Modern Player jag I own I haven't had to do any of that since I bought it. I also have an Epi Dot that I bought a couple of years ago, and since I bought it, not once have I had to remove the truss rod cover to adjust the neck, and never had any problems with fret buzz.

7. dsginzen

dsginzen Tele-Meister

I've got a VMJM. It's a nice guitar. I put in a bone nut. Reasonably stable. Pickups sound nice. Lightest guitar I own.

But I just decided last week that I don't like it. Sounds exactly like it should. Plays well. It's set up right. But nothing is in the right place. It doesn't sit right when I'm sitting. It doesn't hang right when I stand. Then I pick up one of my teles & everything is perfect. Right where it should be.

I'm gonna keep it a while to be sure. For what it's worth, I might as well hang onto it. But it just doesn't have that feel. Sounds great. Not comfortable - which JM's are known for. I must be odd. Though on a tele forum, few will probably disagree with me.

8. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

Where I live, I'm used to seasonal changes that require a bit of adjustment in the truss rod, but what I'm talking about is completely unrelated to that.

9. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

When it comes to warrenty there's the letter of the law, then there's basic common sense when it comes to customer service - most retailers and manufacturers would recognise that swapping pickups is not going to cause a set of tuners to go heywire, and nowadays ignoring the problem just leads to threads like this which damage the brand. If you have no luck from the retailer you could always go over their hear head and approach Fender customer services.

In your case, given the retailer also swapped the pickups for you did they advise you that the warrenty would be voided when they changed pickups? I can understand a retailer refusing to accept warrenty returns where customers have taken the instrument to be worked on by a third party, but where they did the work themselves they should stand by it.

10. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Haven't read the entire thread.....
    You put Lollars in a squire?
    Heck the pups are worth more than the guitar.

Pull the lollar pups out and drop em in a better made Jazzmaster

11. paulo6

paulo6 Tele-Meister

I also have a Squier JMJM, bought new about a year ago from a London shop.
    I have to say, having taken it to and used it at every gig since, that it is easily one of my favourites. I have US Fenders and Gibsons as well, but it easily holds it's own and I've had quite a few compliments on its looks and sound.
    It had been set up by the shop and as part of the deal I get a free service after 12 months. I have noticed a couple of notes fretting out at the high end, so hopefully they can sort that, though it's no big deal.
    I had a Squier Strat years ago which was a nice guitar, so no complaints at all with my Squier experience.

12. joy-z

joy-z TDPRI Member

Put the original pickups back in, then take it for warranty service.

13. Coach56

Coach56 One of the Boys

Another Squire VM Jaguar owner here. It had the tone I wanted in the store but waas in desperate need of a setup. I always budget an additional $50 when I buy any guitar so I can drop it off at my luthier for a tune up.

I was warned here at the forum to make sure I found a luthier who knew the Jag bridge. Mine does. A set of Beefy Slinkys, neck adjustment and fret crown later and this is one FUN guitar to play. It gets me exactly where I want to go sonically and the price was right.

14. vexed73

vexed73 TDPRI Member

I dont own one yet but I have played one and so want one. Tuners and switches on cheaper guitars are cheap. That guitar is totaly worth upgrading!

15. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I think if you buy a Squier VM you need to look at it as a fixer upper. In my mind there is no question the electronics are crap, the hardware is going to be mediocre at best, and the wood is going to be soft. But then you're getting a guitar for dirt cheap.

I picked up a VM Jaguar Bass a few months ago. Cost me $155 brand new. It came with a non-working pot that I immediately swapped for a CTS, and I also replaced the pickups with USA Fenders. I'm very happy with it because I knew what I was getting when I bought it. I expect to have to replace the bridge and tuners at some point in the near future too. I will also have to toothpick the strap buttons since they are loose like yours. Like I said, it's a fixer upper. Lots of fun to play though.

16. KeithJ

KeithJ Tele-Meister

I have had a JMJM for well over a year now, maybe two. It is completely stock and I love the thing! I have had no trouble with it, and I'm not exactly super careful with it either. It is set up well, plays great, always stays in tune even with trem use, and all the original parts are working perfectly. It has been my go-to guitar since I got it. I really can't recommend them enough.

17. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

I have absolutely no complaints with my VMJM at all, I love mine. It plays superb & the tone on the rhythm side is just fantastic, I'll be keeping it stock too.

18. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

My suggestion would be, learn how to work on your own guitars. Its not hard and its very rewarding. No one knows what you want better then you.

19. Wanderlust

Wanderlust TDPRI Member

Squiers are great if you are willing to work on them and know how to work on guitars. I have a Vintage Modern JM I picked up this year. The neck felt great but it took me a week to get it set up right. I pretty much always plan on swapping out all the wires, even if I keep the pick ups. I can't tell if you got a lemon, you are just expecting more than what a stock Squier will do, or you just aren't bonding with it. I know a fellow thats been playing 30 years thats built his own guitars that swears by Squier JMs for his jam sessions and playing out because he doesn't have to babysit them. I love mine despite its flaws, and the flaws were expected when I bought it.

20. midnight340

midnight340 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I happened upon the very JM Jazzmaster that Tonequest Report did a review on. (Ebay). You can read the review here:

http://www.wdmusic.com/media/TQRJulAug13.pdf
    (Scroll down to 'Cheap Thrills from Squier')

It did have a setup, Mastery bridge, and Fender trem... But the neck is gorgeous, the finish detail really good, and stock pickups. (Don't change these out without giving them a chance!!!). Through my my Pathfinder 15R clean it's a beautiful tone... And this guitar LOVES my Hendrix Mini Fuzz Face!!!

Stays in tune, plays beautifully. Don't mean to go on and on, but I spend a couple hours every day with it, often the other guitars just sit there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.