J Mascis Squire Jazzmaster Whaddya Think?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by StompBoxRacer, Nov 7, 2019 at 11:30 AM.

1. StompBoxRacer

StompBoxRacer TDPRI Member

That's beautiful meng. I've read that about the switches as well, but like you said they may have addressed that since the bulk of web/forum info is from 7 or 8 years ago. I've also read that the volume taper leaves something to be desired. I figure replacing a switch and/or possibly some pots as just more fun I get to have with the guitar... however if the one I have on order sounds and plays good I'm planning on keeping it largely stock otherwise.

2. StompBoxRacer

Definitely in the minority for people trying them and not liking them or coming across a dud. Nothing wrong with that I appreciate the perspective. I like heavy guitars so no problems on that front!

3. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Ergonomics makes playing JMs easy.

Do figure out if you want the P90-style (steel slugs with bar magnet) or classic magnetic pole style. You might mix and match so you have P90 bridge and traditional in the neck.

Most players never use, or even disconnect, the top switch circuit, people gigging with JMs often put gaffers tape over the switch to keep from knocking it.

I've built a couple of JMs and I found that when I put a 'too skinny' neck from a Squier Bullet Strat on the one, that the neck seems more normal now. Ergonomics of bridge, strap pins, and thigh cut. So that can lead to all the bigger neck feel comments.

If you have a Strat neck you like, you could just order a loaded JMJM body off Stratosphere/etc.

StompBoxRacer likes this.
  4. StompBoxRacer

Yes we had one of the Purple Sparkle MIJ's when they first came out in the music shop I worked in at the time. It was really cool. My store manager became obsessed with it and finally bought it (although it hung on out there on the sales wall (high up on the wall) for 3 months so the general public had a chance at it).

That purple finish was slick.

emisilly likes this.
  5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Ah, but they are basically the same pickup. Given there will be variations in winding numbers, pot values, and pickup height adjustment, I’m sure there are some diffs to be had between the two guitars.

6. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Meister

that is very nicely put, "All in all its far nicer than a $400 guitar has any right to be."
    a solid recommendation, missing the question of a comparison to the Fender jazz master of which there are several different models the purple sparkle is dazzling, the oxblood is to bleed for, the austerity of the arctic white is not with out its polar charm.

7. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Meister

ah , so I'm not the only one.;)

8. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

i don't love the color and i'd want something closer to tradition jazzmaster pickups if i was going to get a jazzmaster.

9. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I prefer traditional style Jazzmasters, so I bought a VM (two, actually) and love them. The Mascis is a solid choice though, just not for me.

10. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

Out of a dozen guitars I own, the neck on my JMJM is possibly the best. Pickups cut thru my bands mix better than my Strat or Tele or P90 thing.. trem is ok for light use, overall I rate the guitar extremely highly. I paid AU$499 for mine which is just ridiculous. I love both the Olympic White finish and the anodised pickguard btw, others seem to not be a fan?

I may upgrade the pickups and trem one day.. Or i may not!

emisilly and StompBoxRacer like this.
  11. StompBoxRacer

I saw this video. Finally a guy playing a demo video who isn't a virtuoso (or maybe he is and is just toning it down for everyone else).
    There does seem to be some slight differences in the sound of the two although they are very close. I think the JMJM has a different winding to the pickups and the frets are either jumbo or med jumbo on one or the other.
    Anyhow I agonized over the red or white, at first preferring the red, and finally settling on the white. Partly because the resale value on the JMJM's is much higher in case I decided I didn't like it 6 months from now.
    They are essentially the same guitar yet the JMJM got all the buzz while the deluxe is mostly overlooked or dismissed out of hand. Too bad. Maybe if the candy apple red finish were more dark red than candy I would have favored that one.

This one is interesting and also really showcases the difference in tones:

Digital Larry likes this.
  12. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

I'm not convinced that the sonic differences between a J. Mascis and Deluxe model are just down to component tolerances. That said, I don't have both guitars in hand to test or audition. One thing's for sure, the ones in the J. Mascis are white and the ones in the Deluxe are black. I think there's a noticeable difference in tone in the few YT videos I watched and I picked the Deluxe as a result. That's just me though, I don't really think there's anything wrong with the other guitar. It was a semi-arbitrary decision.

Not that it has any bearing on the discussion, but a couple years back I went to Starving Musician and played a Tagima T61 ("looks like" a Jazzmaster from a distance) and a real Fender Jazzmaster with the screw thread bridge saddles and they sounded nothing alike. The Tagima was louder and "honkier" and the Fender was softer and much brighter.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 9:01 AM
  13. redfive

redfive TDPRI Member

It's my reference guitar for sound.

I have some others that feel a bit better under the fingers and fit different genres better. But for pure tone? My JMJM.

I play worship/P&W music, and it just has a richness that pairs so well with delays/reverbs that my other guitars do not have. Only guitar I'd never sell. YMMV. My other guitars are a Suhr Tele, Fano Alt de Facto JM6, newly acquired Fender Cabronita, and 72 AVRI custom.

I picked my JMJM up off Reverb a few years ago for 600$ with upgraded SD Antiquity II's, Fender AVRI TREM, Schaller Roller Bridge, and new pickguard. A friend of mine picked one up off of Facebook Marketplace for 550$ with SD Antiquity II's and aftermarket bridge (not sure which one) that also sounds fantastic.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 8:05 AM
    emisilly and StompBoxRacer like this.
  14. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I hear ya, but I just wanted to mention that the pickups aren't likely to be a reason for perceived differences.

Some of this has been discussed over at OSG, but the Deluxe is generally a JMJM without the signature and different colors. The pickups are both P90 style, with two AlNiCo bar magnets and screw poles, coils wound between 8.2 and 8.7k depending on position. Both have brass baseplates and braided shield wire leads.

Being Squier, I doubt they have cause to alter pickups and not sing at mountain tops about it. Instead they simply didn't mention J. anymore. They did, for example drop the Duncan Designed pickups when they made the offset VMs Classic Vibes. When it comes to the Jaguar, the CV pickups are now made by a different manufacturer ("Fender designed"!) but basically the same spec as the VMs, just no DD labels. I owned both Jags, and though they sounded different, they sounded the same--same difference :) I actually expect more differences from newer JMJMs that aren't MIC, but that's yet to be seen/heard.

Fretting out and Digital Larry like this.
  15. StompBoxRacer

That looks fantastic!
    I like the blue, so many people are putting on Mint green. I used to change out my pick guard on my Strat a couple of times a year just for fun but chaning one out on a JM looks just plain painfull!

I also play P&W occasionally so it's really cool to hear from someone who uses it in that environment. I keep a ridiculous amount of pedals on my board so it's great to hear the JMJM works well there too.

16. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Playing a worship gig tonight and both guitar players are rocking one of these. They did sound nice in practice.

17. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Aren't these pretty heavy?

18. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

I’ve wanted one for a long time. Just waiting for opportunity and finances to align.

J. himself has one in his rack that he plays on stage fairly regularly, so if it’s good enough for him...

StompBoxRacer likes this.
  19. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Holic

Note that the trem is closer to the bridge on the JMJM. And the frets are medium jumbo...

20. StompBoxRacer

Yes! I just got mine and it weighs as much as my '92 Les Paul studio. 9lbs and 4-8 oz give or take. It's deceiving however as the LP is chunky and the JMJM is contoured. Seems to distribute the weight a little differently.

Skydog1010 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.