J Mascis Squire Jazzmaster Whaddya Think?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by StompBoxRacer, Nov 7, 2019 at 11:30 AM.

1. StompBoxRacer

StompBoxRacer TDPRI Member

These have gotten pretty stellar reviews over the years.
    Does anybody have one of these and what do you think of them?
    Have you had any short term issues or long term concerns?
    I've heard they are pretty nice stock, who's kept them stock and who's upgraded?
    And finally... does anyone actually use one for Jazz (even just sometimes?) lolz
    Thanks!

2. mikestearns

mikestearns TDPRI Member

I had one for a couple years, I loved it. I kept it stock, aside from the trem just because the shop in question didn't have the original. I think I used a bar from a strat, which kinda sucked. It sounded and played great. The pickups in it are not normal jazzmaster pickups, they're closer to P90s. I didn't use mine for jazz, but I did use the rhythm circuit a good bit for different tonal options. Had it not been stolen, I probably eventually would've swapped the pickups out for Duncan antiquities and maybe gotten a new pickguard. All in all its far nicer than a $400 guitar has any right to be.

3. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

I bought the Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster and my buddy liked it so much that he asked me to keep an eye out for one, as he lives on a remote island.

A few weeks after he went back to the island, a J. Mascis JM was listed on craigslist and I bought it for him. I had it for a month or so before we met up again. A bonus for him was he was a long-time fan of Dinosaur Jr.

The only issue that we had was both of ours developed intermittent pickup switches. I replaced both with Swichcraft switches. These were very early runs of the Squier JMs, perhaps later models corrected the switches.

He still loves it and gigs with it as his #1 guitar.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Suproman

Suproman Tele-Meister

I have one. I did change the pickups to real Jazzmaster pickups and removed the rhythm circuit (my preference), but otherwise it's a great guitar.

StompBoxRacer likes this.
  5. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

I have one of them I put a real fender trem on mine and put Seymour Duncan antiquity 2s in it other than that it’s stock
    Except for pickup covers and knobs

I think they are excellent and a great gateway drug to offsets liked mine so much I assembled a partscaster jazzmaster

Everyone seems to think they have thick necks but I’d say mine is medium
    for some reason the nut feels wider to me

They have a great feeling neck that starts satin but mines been worn to a full gloss

I’d say to anyone thinking about one to give it a try

I’m not sure if they are gonna keep making them in China but the quality for a squier is awesome

I just don’t care for Indonesian squires

Here’s my partscaster and mascis

21C2C679-92E6-41D6-AA34-6F33607CE3E7.jpeg

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've tried a bunch of them, bought one of the JMJM necks used and returned it, and also tried a JMJM next to some new Squier deluxe JM model, last week with cash in my pocket.
    They are competent guitars but not great IMO.
    A little heavy too if that matters.

My opinion is in the minority though and a "competent" guitar of the type you want for an affordable price might not need to be truly great.
    Finding an affordable great guitar of the type I want is not really happening, been more than a decade since I saw one of those deals.

But today or tomorrow I'm picking up a big fat D'Angelico Jazz guitar I paid $379 for, and there's at least a 20% chance it will be great.
    And a 60% chance I'll end up returning it...

I've bought and tried the Fender modern player P-90ish JM pickups similar to what's i the JMJM, and most certainly prefer real JM pickups.
    Used 'murican Fender JM pups are pretty cheap so not really an issue in buying the guitar.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019 at 12:26 PM
    StompBoxRacer and Fretting out like this.
  7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I really want them to make me buy one, and really should have a JM of some sort.
    Had a circa 1960 loaded body I bought off a friend who just wanted the slab neck to turn into a Strat.
    Partly due to the extra lumber making the JM heavier I may need to go partscaster, and I already have some of the parts.

Fretting out likes this.
  8. Sordid

Sordid TDPRI Member

Great guitar for the price. A little heavy, but has a great neck, plays really well, and has really nice tone. A friend of mine owns like 10 guitars, and whenever we jam, I go for his J Mascis JM over all his other Fenders and Gibsons.

9. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

The necks are pretty awesome. They're a little wider than most JM necks and the build quality is good in my experience. I hunted for about a year to get a lightweight one in a local place that I could play. I still own it 7 years later.

StompBoxRacer and Deathray like this.
  10. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

I want the old purple sparkle one.

ElJay370, Brian J., scelestus and 4 others like this.
  11. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I played one for a while at Guitar Center and I enjoyed it a lot. I didn't go for it because I wanted a more "pure" Jazzmaster so I went for a Vintage Modified instead. But the JMJM is really cool.

StompBoxRacer and beyer160 like this.
  12. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

I got the "Deluxe" because I wanted less hot pickups. It's red and afaik it's otherwise identical to the Squier Mascis. I like it a lot in fact. It can get some rocking tones. I even use the "jazz" setting but rarely turn down the tone when doing so.

The only thing I don't like about it is that I've snapped several high E strings at the bridge. So if you get one, buy extra E strings. Also, it can be super bright. Sometimes I take the tone knob down to about "3" to take off a bit of the zing.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019 at 4:31 PM
  13. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Holic

I have one that I bought used at GC. It plays like a dream. Great tone, awesome neck. I got it for $279, due to a nice dent, down next to the bottom strap button. Sounds awesome acoustically. One of my favorite guitars, ding and all!
    8C3A5B8C-1190-4494-83DC-5E070BC8B089.jpeg

14. skradlee

skradlee TDPRI Member

Those are real deal Fenders and MIJ. Great guitars, but much more expensive than the Squier version.

15. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Some of the best Squiers ever made. The neck is awesome, I had a nice one in rosewood. These were basically CV Jazzmasters before there was a CV Jazzmaster.

I'm reading poor reviews on the new Indonesian made JMJMs. I'd avoid those. Only reason I don't own one is because I dislike TOMs + vibratos (unless...) and the vintage white is like Blue bunny ice CREAM color. I also don't care for the p90 clones, at least when it comes to JMs. Makes no sense, I guess, since I have a VMJM with Novak JM gold foils that sounds like little P90s *shrug*

I thought the pickups were the same, no?

16. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

This +1.

It's my ugliest guitar, by far.

And it just may be my best, in terms of its versatility, and in terms of its $-to-versatility quotient. I never play surf, but I do use it for everything from Stratty bells to Who power chords, and everything in between. I often use it when writing music, since it so readily covers such a tonal spectrum.

Great neck, fantastic tones, trem works fine, and even its odd ringing and pinging overtones (or whatever they are) either don't make it into the signal chain or add dimensions to it. I was surprised by how useful the weird rhythm circuit is. I'm using it at least half the time I pick up the guitar. It's great for both chewy and smokey chords, and for really assertive leads.

Its only flaws are so-so controls. The pickup selector on mine gets wonky, and its pots' sweep could be sweepier. I'll swap that stuff out when I get a few dollars. In the meantime, it's always out, and almost daily played.

And since it's so freakin' ugly, compared to Teles, Les Pauls, acoustics, squashed stinkbugs, etc., when you're playing it, you don't have to look at it!

Deathray likes this.
  17. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

You can't tell by the Squier web site ad copy. There are some YouTube videos where a guy compares them directly and on clean or slightly crunchy tones you can hear the difference. Crank it up all the way and for some reason it's not as obvious. :confused: I just thought "for once, I will choose the option that is 'less rocking'"!

e.g.

My friend has a JMJM and brought it over. The pickup selector switch was falling apart. But that's like a $15 part, easy enough to replace.

18. StompBoxRacer

StompBoxRacer TDPRI Member

I'm intrigued by the P90-ish sound the pick-ups are said to have. I wasn't too crazy about the white finish but people say it's darker in person, but the white also makes pretty much any pick guard color work on it which is a plus, especially when the pu guard is that large! Thanks for the input I have one on the way...

19. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Holic

I have one, got it not long after they came out. Only change is a roller TOM bridge - mainly because my delicate hands didn't like the edges on the stock TOM.
    Also, as others have mentioned, had to replace the pickup switch after only a few weeks.
    Otherwise - pickups are great, neck is great, trem is great, feel is great. You get where this is going - totally great guitar.
    The thing that surprised me most was what a ROCK guitar this is. Despite it's surfy looks this nails the Mascis/Sonic Youth/MBV sound with a bit of tasty fuzzz.

emisilly likes this.
  20. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Those are some of the best-looking guitars Fender or Squier is making these days. Would love to check one out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.