J. Bonamassa "British Blues Explosion" on PBS tomorrow

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by old wrench, Jun 16, 2019.

1. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm sorry, fellah. I must have got you mixed up with one of the other Mikes here.

Next time I'll just remember: Least Accessible Mike. With all due respect.

I'll let you get back to your adoration of one of the most competent businessmen in music these days. Good of your to remind me, I like Joe a whole lot more than I like some of his fans. Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  2. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

I couldn't get past the opener... not sure whether he's playing ahead of the beat or directly on it but there ain't no groove happening IMB. Can't explain it but I can hear it (the lack thereof) and I don't wish to... it's tiring... like constant tension with no resolve.

Bendyha likes this.
  3. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

I know this thread is about alerting folks to a Bonamassa special on PBS. That's nice.

But I am tempted to comment on Bonamassa. I like him in interviews, he can be acerbic and a wise guy and sometimes I like that about him. He can even be self deprecating, but I feel he may do that to throw us off the scent. I don't know what to think.

And I don't know what I should or should not say about him or about the entirety of the post. I mean, if it was just to alert folks to the PBS special, honestly, there should be NO replies. Except maybe, "cool, thanks, will check it out"

But then what's the point of having a forum?

4. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

*note* my comment about the restaurant and steak was meant as a joke. I was being facetious. It wasn't aimed at you. I apologize if you took it that way.

I think of myself of very accessible. And I don't mind when people don't agree with me.
    I don't think I "adore" Joe. I do like his music and his Keeping The Blues Alive Foundation. Since music programs in public schools (along with the arts) are one of the first things to be cut, I think his foundation is a great thing. I wish more rich musicians would do the same. My music class in the 7th grade opened me up to a whole new world. Without that exposure to playing an instrument, I would surely be a different person today.

The thing I commented on was the internet clan hated aimed at certain people and products. Any mention of them on forums attracts the people who want to discredit or diminish their accomplishments. I realize everyone has a right to post what they want. Therefore, I will do the same in the form of a rebuttal or just question what their motive is. That's all.

I don't know if you are aware but it's a sport over at The Gear Page. And results in getting 99% of the threads about those artists and products locked by the mods.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    RLee77 likes this.
  5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Joe B is neither british nor is he blue.

He sure better explode, on this thing.

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  6. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

Hi.

I'm going to wade in with this.

Cos, um, it's better. :)

7. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Holic

Thanks for posting. Really enjoyed that. His band is always exceptional. Also, his tone....man oh man. I always find JBs gear and tone a feast for the eyes and ears!:)

8. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted

Do you perhaps mean it's this particular feeling that you didn't get when you hear Bonamassa that you did get when you heard Buddy Guy?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  9. Southboundsuarez

Southboundsuarez TDPRI Member

I dont care what others like or dont like but this British Blues Explosion show is probably the best Bonamassa work so far.
    While his latest shows are very grand and likely expensive productions, This BBE production indeed does give us a rawer more feeling performance from this guy. It appears that he has been really working on getting his vocal chops up to par and actually entertaining bonus in addition to his exceptional guitar work over a setlist of songs that you just rarely often will see performed live by many others including the original Holy Trilogy of British Heavy Blues infused Rock Guitar Legends.
    I am so hopeful that the upcoming limited engagement Rod Stewart/Jeff Beck show at the Hollywood Bowl will compare!
    I had hoped that the BBE production would have toured here. Regardless, Bonamassa productions continue to grow more and more elaborate and he seems to be just coming into his own.
    $20 mil huh? dont doubt it. He certainly has done well at selling himself! Everybody has a price right? Better 20 million as opposed to 200 dollars and two dollar beers all night and a Motel 6 room for the night. But I guess thats the blues for the many others...

RLee77 likes this.
  10. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

I blow hot and cold on JoBo but his playing is based primarily on that era so he should be playing to his strengths. His attempts at Chicago blues were, in my opinion, misjudged as he had no feel or sensitivity for that material. But I’ll give this a spin, I have seen him live a couple of times ( before his ticket prices went through the roof) and he is a great performer.

11. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted

It’s on YouTube also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

I haven't seen this show. I'll look for it.

I've seen in person JB twice. The first time was the 3 Kings tour. That was a great show. I think he's sort of like 60s through mid-70s Clapton--great at re-interpreting other folks blues tunes in a blues-rock vein. If you like that kind of thing, which I do.

The second time was a show that included much more of his original material. That show was ok, but not nearly as impressive as the 3 Kings show.

I do wonder what he'll do when he's interpreting the inventors of blues-rock.

13. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Without bashing him, I would like to hear more on the technical side of the missing groove from the TDPRI brains trust....this is also what I think I struggle with. I WANT to like him as I think in terms of his tone, equipment and playing ability he is right up there, music industry Business acumen he is well up there, hearing about his work with the foundation posted above also makes me want to like him and his music more but I just struggle with the smoothness (or lack of groove) ...

To me its a lot like Jimmie Vaughan, I want to like his music (Loved his sig guitar for the 10+ years I owned it :) )but just doesn't get me in the nuts/guts like others do.

wish I knew why....

14. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

Hi.

Yeah, this is me too. He seems nice in interviews as well. Apart from his stage getup, it feels like I should like what he does.

Maybe he just needs to wear a swanny... ;)

Pax/
    Dean

15. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

It's an interesting question. I really like JB. I enjoy listening to him because sometimes I'm in the mood to hear massive guitar riffs and songs that showcase the electric guitar. I think perhaps one thing that throws people off is he's so precise and perfect with his playing... the guy is just technically incredible, and that may affect the "feeling" that he puts into the songs.
    If you're mainly a "song guy", that lives for the song, and not for a featured instrument, then JB may not be for you. But if you want to hear the electric guitar featured in all its glory, JB is the man.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.