J. Bonamassa "British Blues Explosion" on PBS tomorrow

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by old wrench, Jun 16, 2019.

1. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Holic

I'm not a big Joe Bonamassa fanatic, but . . . when he is playing British type blues from my favorite era, I can dig it :).

PBS (public television) is having their annual fund drive and they usually have some great programming during those drives. I hope posting this info doesn't violate any forum rules - I don't have anything to do with PBS. I rarely watch TV, but PBS is cool.

My old gal called me up from the basement where I was fitting a truss rod into a neck I'm working on, and said I might want to watch some music on TV.

I caught the tail end (last four songs) of the set they are calling the "British Blues Explosion" - music from Clapton, Page, and Beck in particular. As usual, JB has a stellar group of back-up musicians.

PBS is re-broadcasting the show again tomorrow (6-16-19) at 5:30 p.m. EST for anyone who might be interested. In Cleveland, the program is on channel 49, WEAO.

Oh yeah, JB uses either a Broadcaster or early Tele when he plays his version of Led Zepplin's "How Many More Times" ;).

Best Regards,
    Geo.

RLee77 likes this.
  2. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Cool, I’ll have to see if I can find it on my tv tomorrow.

old wrench likes this.
  3. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

It's on you tube for all to watch. Some great songs by JB

old wrench and Shango66 like this.
  4. psychobilly451

psychobilly451 TDPRI Member

I wish I was into Bonamassa. It always feels like a decent cover band is playing.

5. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Cover band .......well , guess all of us that play blues are playing covers ?
    Ever hear him play Fusion ?
    Play with others , Beth Hart , Mahalia or Jimmy Barnes or a bunch of other people?
    Black Country Communium ?

Toadtele likes this.
  6. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Holic

I freaking love BCC!
    Glen Hughes is great.

aging_rocker and jimash like this.
  7. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Holic

Why comment at all? Lots of players and bands that I'm not into get threads generated about them here at TDRPI.
    Should I go into those threads and say I'm not interested or don't like them?

fenderchamp, bullfrogblues and DugT like this.
  8. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

It's just an internet rule.....we MUST hate Bonamassa and John Mayer.....

9. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Holic

He's one of the few keeping that music alive. And he is great at it and very successful commercially. And he has created a foundation called Keeping The Blues Alive. He is Paying it Forward as the saying goes.
    I chatted with him a couple of times outside The Baked Potato and at one of his small shows a few years ago. He's a really nice guy and has a great sense of humor.
    https://keepingthebluesalive.org/about/

ABOUT THE FOUNDATION

Keeping The Blues Alive Foundation fuels the passion for music by funding programs and scholarships for students and teachers who possess the desire, but lack the resources or access to achieve their potential within the field of music. KTBA has been able to fund music projects affecting over 50,000 students in all 50 states since 2011! We accomplish this by making weekly donations to music projects in schools and merit-based scholarships all over the country.

MISSION

Our mission is to offset the loss of music education programs by funding music projects, scholarships, and preserving the rich culture and history of the Blues as a true American artform.

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Because there's nothing wrong with trying to keep Joe working at it.

The guy who commented is not alone and his view is not close to unique. I happen to think Bonamassa has it in him to break through. Any heartfelt criticism isn't going to hurt Joe in the long run - it will only help him.

11. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Holic

As you and I both know, threads about Bonamassa, Dumble and Klon always draw these types of comments. I think my comment was valid.
    Why go into a thread about someone you don't like and state it?
    Next time I'm in a restaurant and I see someone eating and enjoying a steak, maybe I'll walk over to their table and say "I wish I could like steak. But it always seems like a decent piece of shoe leather".

12. Orpingtons

Orpingtons Tele-Meister

I used to follow Bonamassa, thought he was a heck of a blues artist and then I got to see Buddy Guy live.... I realized that Blues is more than just great guitar playing, it's that "particular feeling" that Bonamassa doesn't seem to have, yet.

rich815, ponce, Neener and 3 others like this.
  13. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

My PBS station isn't showing this but I'll look for it -- it sounds great. This is what I think Joe does most authentically and best (IMO). That he cannot measure up to history is no knock on Joe -- nobody can -- and so owning and embracing it is, to me anyway, a great way to go. I think he does a great job making these songs his own while also honoring the creators and players. It s big role that few can fill. Sounds great.

dan1952 and old wrench like this.
  14. Orpingtons

Orpingtons Tele-Meister

Joe was born for TV, IMHO. Every time there's some rig rundown or some behind the scenes show, he usually steals the show and becomes the main character, quickly. He's a great player too, no doubt and a vintage freak like many of us.

old wrench and bftfender like this.
  15. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Holic

I didn't mean to create any controversy.

Just passing on some info to other like-minded brothers and sisters :).

The "blues" music from that time spoke to me in a way that the other music (and there was some incredible music) from that time didn't or maybe couldn't. Hell, at first I didn't even know it was "blues" music ;).

It was my back-door introduction to the Delta and Chicago music. Played by long-haired guys from, of all places, England :).

I won't pass any judgement on JB, not my place.

True, he is very successful; I believe I read something somewhere that said he's worth about $20 million bucks. He has his own way of promoting and marketing himself that seems to work pretty well.

True, he does support a non-profit foundation that works to keep blues music relevant and available to people who might not otherwise be introduced to it.

True, he is one heck of an accomplished guitar player.

I don't think it's fair to expect him to play or feel with some kind of feeling or expression other than what he grew up feeling.

So just tune in and enjoy the show :)!!!

(My old gal is taping it for later ;))

Best Regards,
    Geo.

16. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Holic

You're right :)!!!

JB and his band are for the most part covering songs that were covers of songs done by whoever may or may have not been the original blues artists who first did the songs :).

JB manages to get some very accomplished and talented musicians and singers for his band.

Best Regards,
    Geo.

17. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

When I was a kid, learning about blues music from John Mayall and Cream, I asked the cool old record store owner what I should listen to, and he had me buy "King of the Delta Blues Singers" by Robert Johnson, and "Live at the Regal" by BB King. If someone gets curious after hearing Bonamassa play the blues, and gets turned onto some early Peter Green or Eric Clapton, or RJ, or BB, or some other "real" blues guy, that is wonderful! Keeping the blues alive...that's what I'm talkin' about!
    Besides, Reese Wynans and Michael Rhodes could both make a very nice living staying in Nashville in their very comfy homes, but choose to live in a bus or at the Holiday Inn so they can travel with Joe Bonamassa. What does that tell you?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    RLee77 likes this.
  18. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I watched and enjoyed the youtube show this morning.

Joe seems like a nice guy. I do wish his playing and singing had a bit more edge or rawness to it BUT you cant take away from him that he is an amazing player and singer.

Just a little too polished for my tastes to consider buying and repeatedly playing/listening to his music for my own tastes but then a lot of things come across as too polished to me these days.

I have started preferring to listen to live concerts rather than Album cuts of players for this reason. Annoyingly Joe is so good and consistent his live shows sound as polished as his recordings!

What a weird catch 22 that is! :)

psychobilly451 and RLee77 like this.
  19. psychobilly451

psychobilly451 TDPRI Member

Both are very accomplished musicians. I like Mayer when he plays blues(not a fan of his pop music)

JB is probably one of the top money makers in blues and a lot of people love his playing. There is nothing technically wrong with his music. I don't connect with it.
    I would rather listen to Hill country blues or acoustic blues or Otis Taylor. I am more into a feeling than technique. JB doesn't give me that feeling personally.
    I will try to find this show and watch a few songs at least. Maybe it will resonate with me.
    I liked "nutbush city limits" with Beth Hart so far.

20. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Super cool! Thanks for posting!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.