Iz the webcam on yer computer being hacked?

Paul in Colorado

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I don't have a camera on my computer, but I'm suspicious of my cell phone. How else would things said in casual private conversation show up as ads?

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Right, your online computer. Perfect place to use incognito mode when browsing. Nothing is stored. Nothing to track, or whatever, and nothing to clear.

I'm sure other browsers offer it, but Chrome File->New Incognito Window...
Im on a mac , and chrome is tied directly to the NSA computer systems so I dont use google at all

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
If it is a computer, it can be used to spy. Even those doorbell cameras are beginning to get used by the police and we all know about how some cities are using drones to spy on homes for property tax evaluations. It is all moving very quickly. I am seriously thinking about moving to Alaska and disappearing into the woods. The new Jeramiah Johnson era might be coming.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
I m not really afraid of being hacked, what i m afraid of is the tracking. Well not really afraid, but you know, in the Orwell kind of sense.

I'm not sure about France, but it seems whenever I check most countries have geolocation via the carriers for first responders. In the US I find many think using the Internet or smart phone means tracking and they forget or don't know any mobile phone has that.

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
If it is a computer, it can be used to spy. Even those doorbell cameras are beginning to get used by the police and we all know about how some cities are using drones to spy on homes for property tax evaluations. It is all moving very quickly. I am seriously thinking about moving to Alaska and disappearing into the woods. The new Jeramiah Johnson era might be coming.

I will tell you from first hand expiriences that the police are full aware of any one new in these remote areas, just less people more terrirory, the dependancy on your local neighbours and community is greater than in a city environment ( although I must admit the seclusion is glorious if i were younger I would jump on the chance)

johnny k

Doctor of Teleocity
I'm not sure about France, but it seems whenever I check most countries have geolocation via the carriers for first responders. In the US I find many think using the Internet or smart phone means tracking and they forget or don't know any mobile phone has that.

yeah every mobile phones have that, and you re spied on even with a 15 years old phone. But being connected to the internet 24 / 24 ? i don t need that.
It s more of the "let us spy on you to improve your security / target ads..." that annoys me.

Speedfish

Tele-Afflicted
I placed a bandaid over the lens of my computer's web cam. This prevents anyone from having peek. However, I have been unable to stop them from having a listen despite turning off the computer's microphone. My wife and I will be conversing randomly and something will pop up in my sidebar related to our conversation. I'll immediately check my microphone to discover that it's been switched back on! I suspect that Google is the culprit.:mad:

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
People give me this combo of ask, complaint, and fear wondering who's listening even where I have dozens of computers with no mic, camera or speakers. They don't realize all their combo of product choice, web browser and configuration will do.

TDPRI was showing me ads for women's clothing and TVs after some shared use with my wife and daughter occurred at the kitchen table. They got sites serving up ads in a situation clearly driven by interests.

Chunkocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
People give me this combo of ask, complaint, and fear wondering who's listening even where I have dozens of computers with no mic, camera or speakers. They don't realize all their combo of product choice, web browser and configuration will do.

TDPRI was showing me ads for women's clothing and TVs after some shared use with my wife and daughter occurred at the kitchen table. They got sites serving up ads in a situation clearly driven by interests.
I blocked popups and disabled cookies on my computer years ago. I cant remember how I did it but I don't get adds on this site and the only popups I have noticed has been on YouTube videos. Occasionally some sites wont work properly buy I can live with that.

I live alone so the only thing they could hear through my mic is random ramblings of me talking to myself or occasionally laughing at random things when online. Maybe the odd burp or fart but hopefully they cant profile me via those.

Last edited:

Endless Mike

Friend of Leo's
That question came up from my anti-virus provider. I did the check they had and sure nuff- they got into my webcam. I usually have my puter facing up so it's pointed to the ceiling. I stuck my hand if front of the cam and there it was.

Someone may be watching you....

The director of the FBI made a public warning about this. It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone now. I keep my computer camera unplugged, but recently forgot to after a Skype (ugh) call. Figured this out when I noticed the blue light on camera come on. It indicates the camera is in use. Whoops! Immediately unplugged it.

I've been in a cyber security program for a little while now. What was surprising to find out is how easy it is to hack the cameras and mics on any device. Easy to do, and the needed equipment (hardware device or software) is easy to obtain.

uriah1

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I believe most machines that come equipped with
a camera now, have sliders so you can close
off any capture or view activity.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I blocked popups and disabled cookies on my computer years ago. I cant remember how I did it but I don't get adds on this site and the only popups I have noticed has been on YouTube videos. Occasionally some sites wont work properly buy I can live with that.

I live alone so the only thing they could hear through my mic is random ramblings of me talking to myself or occasionally laughing at random things when online. Maybe the odd burp or fart but hopefully they cant profile me via those.

I did that too some years ago, I guess when the unwanted ads content used more data than the stuff I wanted to access.
Many sites then blocked me and demanded I let them run their ads, so I'd just go elsewhere.
Some sites allow ad blocker users, but still manage to pump huge amounts of data onto the computer, and I'm not sure we can really eliminate sites use of cookies.
AFAIK the TDPRI requires cookies to function, but maybe I'm wrong?
I did stop getting the site bogging ads here with the Firefox ad block.
Later I got ad free membership, which eliminated the bar where the ads used to run.

I notice this thread has the reply box sort of blinking bright and dark when I'm typing a reply.

No other threads are doing this, just the big brother thread.
Coincidence?

SolidSteak

Friend of Leo's
this is so easy to do be cautious

note how this guy has stated he can turn off your security systems remotely , delete files, and move things around

Lots of those Youtube demos of webcam hacking techniques seem to require the victim to click on a malicious payload or something to start the meterpreter session and enable a reverse shell. It's a neat thing to demonstrate in a lab, but I wonder about the success rate of the payload part in real life, especially as users become (hopefully?) more wary of clicking on attachments, downloading untrusted files, running .exe files as admin, etc.

Of course once the victim clicks on coolapp123.exe the whole computer and possibly the whole LAN is compromised - sky's the limit! Why settle for webcam pictures? Grab the docs, install keyloggers, get internet history and banking sessions, account logins and passwords, etc. Then exfil and turn the whole thing into part of a botnet.

O

oceanblue

This is why Purism is selling more and more laptops, and begins shipping phones this month. People want control over their privacy again. You can turn off mic, camera, wifi, etc yourself and all apps are kept segregated from the OS. Facebook for example has been caught multiple times with their apps capturing data not only from your phone, but from other apps on your phone or computer. You would be silly to do anything with any company owned by fb or google if you want privacy.

https://puri.sm/

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
Some of the gals at my office were a little concerned when one of them noticed the webcam was on when they had their work laptop at home. They did not think much of it, she just closed the screen and forgot it. Then one of the other women mentioned their laptop camera keep coming on when she had a laptop at home. So the group of them decided to put black tape over the cameras.
A week later the IT person requested to run software updates on all of their computers. And you guessed it, when they got the laptops back, the tape was missing.

Thankfully that IT person was fired when he made some anti Semitic and racist statements during an executive meeting. The ladies still keep tape on their cameras to this day.

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Lots of those Youtube demos of webcam hacking techniques seem to require the victim to click on a malicious payload or something to start the meterpreter session and enable a reverse shell. It's a neat thing to demonstrate in a lab, but I wonder about the success rate of the payload part in real life, especially as users become (hopefully?) more wary of clicking on attachments, downloading untrusted files, running .exe files as admin, etc.

Of course once the victim clicks on coolapp123.exe the whole computer and possibly the whole LAN is compromised - sky's the limit! Why settle for webcam pictures? Grab the docs, install keyloggers, get internet history and banking sessions, account logins and passwords, etc. Then exfil and turn the whole thing into part of a botnet.

you are correct but it all gets back to the scammers intent , if its surveylence, or visually monitoring some one at home with out their knowledge these are real scenarios and the hackers are growing exponentially with the technology, capturing some young teen age girl undressing in her bedroom to mirroring a creditit card transaction on Ebay , computers today offer a portal into the average persons house and privacy .

the only thing we can do is be wary and take the neccessary steps to protect us and our families, that starts with being aware.
This has not even touched on the capabilities of governments and the technology they have available , which reaches into darker and deeper places than a twisted imagination like I have.

when my kid was little I had a program that could call up her screen onto my computer so I could see what sites she went to ( she was 9 at the time, all was fine until one of her friends got her to look up on line rape sites , now comes the question ,
A) were these young girls just curious about sex? ( fairly rough entry if you ask me)
B) was there a preditor on the other end of that site Phishing for young girls
C) maybe we as a family need to have a sit down and discuss life

it wasnt until this point that I used that software , but the main thing is that software is available, and can be installed remotely.

Last edited:

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member

I would clear the cookies and on line profiles daily the reboot your computer ( I do when ever log off for a bit) and even then I have programs running in the back ground when my computer is idle .) but these are my paranoias LOL