I've written a lot of lyrics but...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by MDent77, Sep 3, 2017.

1. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Afflicted

I never thought of using a (linguistic) regionalism to fit the rhyme.

EXAMPLE:

{I could have written about that CAHH I saw sitting in the YAHHD.}

2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Yikes

brookdalebill and MDent77 like this.
  3. voodoostation

voodoostation Friend of Leo's

Solid songwriting right there!

4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

When the authorities were called, upon arrival at the scene the arresting officer and his watch commander contacted a local judge and obtained a permit to just go ahead and shoot the dumb S.O.B. saving EVERONE involved a good deal of trouble.

5. Toto'sDad

If my ex-brother in law hadn't have already dropped dead, I would have thought that he wrote that song. Such a T*RD! I'm just guessing that won't get a lot of play with the womens.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  6. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a song where the line is "The boss man's son took the money and run and left me stranded there." It should be "ran" but "run" rhymes and flows better.

Lake Placid Blue and Toto'sDad like this.
  7. Toto'sDad

The lyrics to that song really touched my buttons. I don't get it, just because you have some kind of relationship with someone doesn't mean they own you. I fell in with one of those early in life, and it's suffocating, couldn't wait to dump her. Either side should be able to walk away any time they want to without having to hire a body guard to continue living.

8. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

Now that's a songwriter who really knows his audience!

I especially liked "he can't amount to much, by the look of that little truck." Sounds like all the Jethro's I went to school with.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  9. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

What a creep.
    or creepy song at least :eek:

Toto'sDad likes this.
  10. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Poetic License revoked.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  11. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Big YUP! on that...

This is a song from the point of view of a childish psycho. But this is a "country song" and that's what "country" songs are for these days....

Truth be told I've written angry stuff myself...but I'm a childish psycho.

Everybody knows that. Plus...we all know the worst song writing comes when someone tries to rhyme "rain" with "again"...

Lake Placid Blue and Toto'sDad like this.
  12. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

I once rhymed "Heidi" and "idea". As in "I ain't got no ideeee." I felt okay about it because I have family members who talk that way for real.

But it was a song about liking a girl, not harassing her.

I'm pretty sure I was driving a buick at the time.

13. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted

teletimetx likes this.
  14. voodoostation

The song was certified platinum in a matter of about 8 months. And folks wonder why we complain about the state of country music. It's a crap song about some juvenile, immature pudwhacker who should have gotten shot for trespassing, sung by some juvenile, immature pudwhacker who should have been shot for singing it. But I could be wrong.

15. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

And now, for best anthem celebrating a narcissistic, psychopathic stalker, the winner is....

Toto'sDad and voodoostation like this.
  16. Toto'sDad

You honor after voodoostation's summation, I can only add that I agree with him whole heartedly.

voodoostation likes this.
  17. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted

Papa Loved Mama, a hit for Garth Brooks a few years back, about a truck driver who crash his big rig into the motel where he assumed his neglected wife was being unneglected.

And there's Travis Tritt's Here's a Quarter, Call Someone Who Cares.

18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Not gonna work for folks who say "idear".

Toto'sDad and ukepicker like this.
  19. Toto'sDad

When my wife has a good idear as she often does, I always say, good idear, dear.:D

ukepicker likes this.
  20. voodoostation

Firstly, the two songs quoted above were better written lyrically, not worded by three 13 year olds with penile Napoleonic complexes. Nice truck, sorry about your weewee.

In Garth's upbeat ditty, it's about the actions and consequences of a married couple. Not a far-fetched story, given the bad things people have done to each other. It's not about some millenial in flannel whining and stalking an ex girlfriend in the wee hours of the morning, littering and disturbing the peace.

Mr. Tritt's contribution is in another league entirely. His song is about rebuffing an ex who wants him back after she cheated. He didn't throw a beer at her, empty or otherwise. He didn't tear tire tracks into her front yard, though he did at one point mow her grass, wink, wink, nudge nudge. He cut ties, a manly choice, and told her to cry on someone else's shoulder. Of course, he did it with a bit of wit which translates poorly in this day and age due to the frightening lack of pay phones anywhere.

What disturbs me most in "Redneck Crazy" is how seriously the singer and songwriters took this song. It's a jilted lover with a vendetta and issues with his manhood (pretty sure he tinkles sitting down). It's a stalker song and a very bad one. Not like the Toadies "Tyler". "Redneck Crazy" is a song in the most generic sense, formulaic as most modern country is, with nods to Chevy, beer drinking, Jimmy Choo (tell me you can't see him stomping his high heeled shoes in the mud, mascara running, lipstick smeared all over his face, dress clinging to his thighs, just crying up a hissy fit). It could have been a Gen X song with all the "me, me, me" but for lack of sardonic humor. Hell, Tim McGraw's "Do You Want Fries With That" is a superior song, solid writing, some humor and I despise Tim. Miranda Lambert can write a damn good spurned lover song, with intelligence and humor. And not a one has her crying in fescue, listening to Colt Ford, rocking back and forth with her knees to her chest in the pouring rain. She's a Dodge girl. They have to have a sense of humor. Especially when the rear end falls out and the transmission starts slipping at 70,000 miles.

Uncle Bob and Harry Styron like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.