1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I've sold five guitars over the past four days,

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by John Backlund, Dec 20, 2020.

1. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

Insure the heck out of everything, if they (whoever they are) lets Mongo play with it you'll get you money back plus. Make them pay for it and hit them where it hurts!

2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

You actually chose this time of year to sell a guitar, or five as the case may be? Wouldn't it have been easier to have ordered a hair shirt from Amazon (2 day shipping if you're signed up for prime) put the shirt on, and used a good stout stick to beat yourself about the head and shoulders? Might have been cheaper and hurt less in the long run.

RobRiggs and soulgeezer like this.
  3. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I refuse to buy a hair shirt that's not made in the US, and anyway, I have two cats, been wearing a hair shirt for decades.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    RobRiggs and Toto'sDad like this.
  4. John Backlund

I think that they're all about the same as far as gorilla-like package handling goes, but the USPS doesn't charge as much to wreck stuff as the other two, so there's that.

Mike Eskimo and Toto'sDad like this.
  5. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

Anticipate to stand in line at the post office for a long time around this time of year.

6. hmemerson

hmemerson Tele-Meister Vendor Member

John,
    I am not at all surprised your instruments are selling like hot cakes! Wonderful design sensibilities, color choices & proportions!

I bet Raymond Loewy would have appreciated what you're doing!

I would, however, love to see a left handed 'harp' tailpiece on those right handed JBD-800's.........My OCD won't allow me to shut-up.......sorry:-]

Best regards,
    Howard Emerson

7. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Good luck John. My last eBay purchase was from a seller 6 hours away from me. I finally got it 15 days after I ordered it. :confused:

John Backlund likes this.
  8. John Backlund

As long as it can be tracked, it doesn't matter too much if it takes extra time. The buyers understand that from the start.

tah1962 likes this.
  9. John Backlund

They're selling well for two reasons, neither are because they are inherently hot sellers.

First, I have realistically priced them in general. They are priced comparably, and even favorably, to other used Backlund guitars available on the internet.

Secondly, I have not attached any assumed premium to them just because I owned them and they are signed and specially numbered by me, though as it turns out, being so has obviously given me a selling edge over a comparably priced similar model offered by others.

10. John Backlund

Correction! Used to do, and my little sell-off underscores the reality of that.

I've kept the 'important' JB related guitars that were landmarks along the way of my little design adventure, prototypes and several early hand-builts, but most of the others hold no real importance to me as far as actually owning them, but thank you for the kind words anyway.

;)

11. Bob M

Bob M Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I ordered an HH Tele from MF on 12/7. Initially they showed a delivery date of 12/10. It was revised by the end of day 1 to 12/12. They shipped it in a box inside of a box and the outer box was a little damaged but the guitar was perfect. This season it seems Amazon and UPS delivery are spot on. USPS has been nearly impossible to track as has Fedex. I was in the shipping business for 40 years and I have seen and heard UPS horror stories. In 20 years of online buying I've not had a single amp or guitar damaged. Not by UPS,USPS or Fedex. UPS seems to have the best tracking. Their network of stores has made things a lot easier.

12. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Just got a nashville power tele from Nevada. The case was bubble wrapped inside the box, seven day travel time, arrived in great shape via UPS. Used them all been boned by all of them. It's a crap shoot.

Shipping at the beginning of the week during non Christmas times is good advice.

I'm thinking the people who are advocating the shipping insurance have never tried to collect on it.

getbent likes this.
  13. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Wait a minute — Where are your guitars made again? ;) :D

14. Toto'sDad

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

15. Toto'sDad

You are onto something there. Not long ago, I took a golf club to UPS to ship it to Santa Barbara. They wanted something like 35 bucks. I moseyed on down to USPS and they wanted something like nine bucks. UPS was going to take a week to get it there, the guy had it two days after I shipped it with USPS.

16. John Backlund

Aha! 'My guitars' are not being made. They were being made, but no longer, so I don't have to answer your now irrelevant, and somewhat uncomfortable question.

I am officially obsolete.

soulgeezer likes this.
  17. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

I was just kidding around — No offense intended!

18. John Backlund

None taken. I had my tongue at least partially in my cheek (face cheek) when I responded.

;)

soulgeezer likes this.
  19. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Agreed!!

20. BigBillow

BigBillow Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Go UPS or fedex right now

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.