1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I've seen paisley Telecasters and blue flower Teles, but never this...

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Alex W, Dec 12, 2010.

1. JosephB

JosephB Tele-Afflicted

i dig it! here's me and my bassist playing matching ones!

Attached Files:

2. fenderslaper

fenderslaper Tele-Meister

My neck? Mine isn't for sale. At least not yet...

3. fenderslaper

I've only seen maybe 5 in the last 20 years including the one I have. Most have large pieces of wall paper missing on the backs, and one had some missing on the front. What do you concider rare? Maybe it needs to be another 20 years older? I agree the one in this add has been modded, but is in mostly good shape, and except for the holes on the back could be put right again. By the way, the one in the add does not belong to me.

4. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

The Tele Bass was never a big seller and this was a minor part of the first edition Tele Bass sales. But it was a regular production item, not a limited run. Certainly hundreds were made.

5. hobbes007450

hobbes007450 Tele-Meister

I am now opting back into belief in Santa.

6. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

There were also MIJ reissues of that bass, I came within an eyelash of getting one, and wish I had! The two that I tried were very, very nice, both really lightweight (basswood bodies, I expect) and they were selling for relatively cheap (this was in 2005 or so, when they were discontinued)...

Tim

7. weelie

weelie Friend of Leo's

That model's rather know around here, as a premier blues band's singer plays one:
    [​IMG]

Tim, I guess you would've worn out that basswood body by now!

8. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Hundreds were certainly made. Maybe a thousand. It's still damn rare. think of how many were made that were NOT paisley, compared to how many were.

How many sunburst '59 strats were made? Certainly butt loads more than Fender ever made of that bass, yet they are considered exceedingly rare and valuable. I would venture to guess that as a production run instrument, the numbers were very small compared to many pieces that are considered to be worth much more.

I know this much- I worked as a vintage buyer for a big company, and for some individual collectors for a number of years. I've been to guitar shows and shops all over the country. I've never seen one of these in person. Only in pictures. I'm thinking hard, but I don't think I can honestly say that about any other Fender guitar or bass...

I think it's rare enough to warrant 10K-12K fer sher. Especially considering what other vintage Fender pieces are pulling, that are WAY less rare than that beast.

9. mndean

mndean Tele-Meister

Hmm, that neck looks awfully pretty, and look how the bridge is intonated. Weird.

10. fenderslaper

"Hundreds were certainly made. Maybe a thousand. It's still damn rare. think of how many were made that were NOT paisley, compared to how many were."

That's true. And when you subtract how many were refinished, and others that may have been distroyed, I think the numbers get pretty low. I'm sure there are some sitting in collections that have been out of curculation for many years (mine since 1983) I would be suprised if there are even 100 of them left. To me, that makes them rather rare.

11. stevieboy

stevieboy Poster Extraordinaire

I saw one a couple of weeks ago, not in a store, I played with a guy at a jam who had one.

12. basschick22

basschick22 Tele-Meister

***drool...****

13. Stuco

Stuco Poster Extraordinaire

Awesome

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.