I've quit smoking

telepraise

Tele-Afflicted
Apologies in advance if this thread breaks the rules, Mods please delete or lock if needed.

I'm talking about quitting smoking the evil weed, not tobacco.

I've been a more or less daily user of the 420 for almost 40 years. It is TIME to quit, for a variety of reasons.

Looking for support, wisdom, suggestions. How did you quit? How long before the cravings quit, or do they ever go away?

Every music event, camping trip, outage with friends and just daily use, the wacky weed was always there. It will all be different going forward.

But the time to quit is NOW. There have been a few health incidents that are starting to get scary.

Thanks for your understanding. How did you quit the weed? How long have you been clean?

Take care ya'll....

Cheers...
Wise move Big Bend. I hope your lungs are not severely compromised. I remember trying to hold each toke for as long as possible for maximum rush and also remember hearing that the tars/resins from weed were heavier than tobacco.

I'm afraid I can't be of much help as I quit back around '80 when I got into running. Smoke in the lungs and running 10k's didn't mix well. I traded THC for endorphins. Psychoactively, you may need to taper the THC, edibles may be a good option for you. Today's product is like 4x as potent as it was when I smoked (and 10x as expensive)

Sounds like socially maybe the hardest part. A beer or two should get you as relaxed as a few hits if your friends are cool with that. It may be time to cultivate some new friendships with folks who are health oriented. Good luck in your journey BB, it may be a hard one but your lungs and wallet will thank you. TP

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
Good for you. Without commenting on whether the stuff is good or bad for you, I find it hard to imagine that quitting will worsen your life at all.

For what it's worth, the vast majority of smokers I've known have been very cool about people hanging out who'd rather not partake. If you don't judge them, they won't judge you.

The few who have deviated from that general rule were, I've since learned, people I'd rather not hang out with regardless of their smoking.

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Apologies in advance if this thread breaks the rules, Mods please delete or lock if needed.

I'm talking about quitting smoking the evil weed, not tobacco.

I've been a more or less daily user of the 420 for almost 40 years. It is TIME to quit, for a variety of reasons.

Looking for support, wisdom, suggestions. How did you quit? How long before the cravings quit, or do they ever go away?

Every music event, camping trip, outage with friends and just daily use, the wacky weed was always there. It will all be different going forward.

But the time to quit is NOW. There have been a few health incidents that are starting to get scary.

Thanks for your understanding. How did you quit the weed? How long have you been clean?

Take care ya'll....

Cheers...

Man, I know where you're coming from. Have been clean and sober going on seven years now. I was sick of it - - you just know it when you reach that point. And then a miracle happens. You realize that reality is soooooo much better than a buzz ever was. Wouldn't go back for a million dollars. Seriously. Anyway, don't make big goals. Make small ones. One day at a time.

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
I can relate. I thought tobacco was the big obstacle, until I quit smoking and realized I had a bigger problem which is in transition now.

I've never done any hard stuff, not even taken a pill without knowing what it was.

I'll toke socially but that is very, very rare these days. The bottle was always my enemy, though.

Congratulations on your decision, or realization, or whatever. There is life after whatever bogs us down, and we're here for you.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
Good luck. I never say I quit some things the way many do but I'm 2007 - now with a far healthier and sustainable life style. The key for me was realistic goals and keeping at things for a good while like learning music or a language. Doing physically active outdoor sports are maybe an addiction at this point but a healthy one that helps keep worse habits at bay.

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I never smoked it until after I was out of high school, and I just grew out of it by the time I was 30 or so. Never felt like it was an addiction, I just would get it when it was available. Back then it wasn't nearly as potent as it is now, so maybe it is addictive these days?

Are you actually having withdrawals from it if you don't smoke? I can understand that with cigarettes, but not with weed.

Blue Bill

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Yeah, BB, I'm sending you all my encouragement, support and prayers in your efforts to quit the weed. Everyone's process is different, I can't offer any predictions. I believe the benefits will eventually far outweigh the discomfort you may go through while removing this element from your system. Tough time to quit, with MJ being shoved in our faces from every direction these days. Good luck!!!

Last edited:

Greg70

Tele-Holic
Be careful that the weed wasn't covering up other things. Pot smoking and alcohol abuse is often referred to as "self-medicating" because people use it to cope with problems like stress, depression, and anxiety. Maybe check in with your doctor and let them know that you're quitting a long term habit to make sure that you respond okay to it both mentally and physically.

I tried weed a couple of times and just didn't like the sensation at all. It freaked me out big time so I have always steered clear of it. Strangely, I really like the smell of it though. I smoked cigarettes for about 15 years and then quit 21 years ago when my doctor said I was developing asthma. I don't miss them but had dreams for several years that I started smoking again.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Quit decades ago. It's a real ambition killer. Was easy. Just don't be around it.
Quitting tobacco was far far harder... and I was not a heavy smoker...

Quexoz

Tele-Meister
How did you quit?

Used it like 4 times and liked it. Used it a 5th time and was paranoid to the point of not being able to function. Out of it to the point of forgetting the topic before someone finished the sentence...resulting in even more paranoia. This from just ~2 hits or so. Been that way ever since. "Quitting" was real easy for me!

ce24

Poster Extraordinaire
I smoked a lot in college...then my career meant more so I only got high a handful.of times.for 25 years...I'm retired now. So I'll have a very small hit in the evening....doesn't take much these days. We gotta live our own lives....good for you to follow your path.

monkeybanana

Tele-Holic
I am always temped to buy or bum a cigarette but riding my bike especially up hills is what keeps me off and is a daily reminder.

In college I would bike up the mountains and take a smoke break....

staxman

Tele-Afflicted
I first started smoking weed back in high school during my “rock n’ roll party years” as I call them. Small southern town with nothing for kids to do except ride around the countryside smoking reefer and listening to 8-track tapes at loud volume. About a year after high school, I went in the military, so I had to quit smoking for 24 years. When I retired, I was curious to try it again. First revelation, today’s weed is about 10 times stronger that the “dirt weed” we used in the 70s. But it wasn’t legal yet, so I only rarely smoked. Then in 2012, Washington state legalized pot, so I was off to the races—smoked, vaped or did edibles daily. I enjoyed it until about a two years ago when I just felt I was weary of it and it just wasn’t fun anymore. I just started using it less and less. I haven’t totally quit, but I’ve only smoked twice in the past year with a lifelong friend back home as a “special treat”.
I can tell by your posts you have the mindset to quit. Your having made a mental list of your reasons to quit and “proclaiming” your intentions are excellent signs for success. I’m no expert, but I would suggest weaning yourself off versus “cold turkey”. You’ll find the situations where you enjoyed using it the most will now seem different—but the good news is you might be pleasantly surprised that you never really needed the reefer in the first place! Rooting for ya, brother!

Last edited:

BerkshireDuncan

Tele-Holic
Good for you man!!! Wise choice. FWIW - When I quit smoking cigarettes, when they went up to 1.50 a pack, I went cold turkey. I was a 2 pack a day smoker = 3.00 a day x 365 = 1,095.00 smackers a year! I put that $$$ in a jar each day, for 2 years. With that money I took my wife on a Caribbean cruise :cool: Pretty good motivator to stay on the right path IMO :D

Blimey, Telekarster.. how long ago did you give up?! A 20 pack here are an Ayrton Senna! :eek:

OmegaWoods

Tele-Afflicted
If ya wanna smoke, that's your business.
If ya wanna quit, you are not alone.

PM and we can hook you up to make that one-day-at-a-time change in your life.
There are a lot of us here on the forum who will be happy to assist.
I know I'm not the only one who enjoys a new freedom from the old ways.

Peace - Deeve
You're a good man, Deeve.

Telekarster

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Blimey, Telekarster.. how long ago did you give up?! A 20 pack here are an Ayrton Senna! :eek:

LOL!!! Lets see..... I'd have to say it was nearly 30 years ago now! Wow how time flies.... ;) And I didn't smoke the cheap stuff either e.g. Marlboro or Camel. Today them suckers are 6-7 bucks a pack or more??? Honestly I don't know how people afford it now a days :confused::eek: