I've quit smoking

Big_Bend

Poster Extraordinaire
Apologies in advance if this thread breaks the rules, Mods please delete or lock if needed.

I'm talking about quitting smoking the evil weed, not tobacco.

I've been a more or less daily user of the 420 for almost 40 years. It is TIME to quit, for a variety of reasons.

Looking for support, wisdom, suggestions. How did you quit? How long before the cravings quit, or do they ever go away?

Every music event, camping trip, outage with friends and just daily use, the wacky weed was always there. It will all be different going forward.

But the time to quit is NOW. There have been a few health incidents that are starting to get scary.

Thanks for your understanding. How did you quit the weed? How long have you been clean?

Take care ya'll....

Cheers...

_MementoMori_

Friend of Leo's
I was only a smoker for 5 or 6 years, but I did it literally all day every day. I didn't have trouble quitting because I was forcibly removed from my peer group who was engaged in those activities. I actually leaned heavily on getting really good at guitar during that period of my life. Though I've lost all that skill now.

oldunc

Tele-Afflicted
I stopped smoking by getting so sick that it simply wasn't an option- pneumonia with some severe complications, that took about 3 months to clear up. Quitting tobacco (a 3 pack a day habit) held, other smokeables not so much.

Last edited:

StrangerNY

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I haven't exactly quit, but I've cut way back over the past few years. I cut back a lot by making some rules for myself.

Work to do around the house? No smoke. Paying gig? No smoke. I'm at the point where unless I've got literally nothing else to do or all the work is done, I won't do it.

I'll occasionally indulge if I'm recording and I want to let my mind wander. But even then, I mostly make myself stay straight for recording.

If you lay down the law to yourself and follow your own rules you can do it. Good luck.

- D

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
good job! my son started smoking pot in high school and in college, it was A LOT. He had all the side effects from it. About a year ago, he came to us and told us he was done with it. Not gonna lie, we kind of rolled our eyes a little (in private) but we encouraged it.

He now says he feels better and his moods are more even and manageable and he has put the side effects behind him.

I'm neither for nor against the use of it unless it interferes with being your best and being as happy as you can be. When it gets in the way of that, I think it becomes a parasite and with the world being as hard as it is, no parasites are wanted!

Good for you! I also totally get the drawing the line in the sand by announcing it too. I'm rooting for you man.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Apologies in advance if this thread breaks the rules, Mods please delete or lock if needed.

I'm talking about quitting smoking the evil weed, not tobacco.

I've been a more or less daily user of the 420 for almost 40 years. It is TIME to quit, for a variety of reasons.

Looking for support, wisdom, suggestions. How did you quit? How long before the cravings quit, or do they ever go away?

Every music event, camping trip, outage with friends and just daily use, the wacky weed was always there. It will all be different going forward.

But the time to quit is NOW. There have been a few health incidents that are starting to get scary.

Thanks for your understanding. How did you quit the weed? How long have you been clean?

Take care ya'll....

Cheers...
I never really smoked what you're referring to as "evil weed"......maybe half a dozen times in fifty years?
And, I respect your choice, for reasons you choose not to disclose, but quitting tobacco was one of the best things I EVER did. (almost forty years ago) I won't go into all the nasty and offensive aspects of cigarettes, and accept everyone's (faulty) reasons for continuing to smoke, but I WILL say.....I've never met a former smoker who regretted quitting.
Good luck to you.....:):):)
EDIT....after seeing @fasteddie42's post above....I will say I understand there are valid medical reasons for smoking weed.....and I support making it available for that reason.

Si G X

Tele-Afflicted
I never really smoked what you're referring to as "evil weed"......maybe half a dozen times in fifty years?
And, I respect your choice, for reasons you choose not to disclose, but quitting tobacco was one of the best things I EVER did. (almost forty years ago) I won't go into all the nasty and offensive aspects of cigarettes, and accept everyone's (faulty) reasons for continuing to smoke, but I WILL say.....I've never met a former smoker who regretted quitting.
EDIT....after seeing @fasteddie42's post above....I will say I understand there are valid medical reasons for smoking weed.....and I support making it available for that reason.

Yeah me too quit smoking fags about 7 years ago now after smoking for 30+

Are there medical reasons to smoke weed, I feel like breathing in any smoke isn't good for your lungs especially, there's surely safer and better ways to take it for medical reasons?

Nickfl

Friend of Leo's
As someone mentioned, you don't have to smoke it. Edibles are a thing, or tincture.

If you don't want to be impaired at all, then switch to a non psychoactive cannabinoid like CBD/CBG, that may help with sleep etc as your system adjusts.

Also, I see no reason we can't discuss this here. Its legal, medically at least, in most of the US now and hemp products are fully legal Federally. As much time as people on these forums spend talking about alcohol, pro and con (especially the "hurrah for me I quit drinking" threads :rolleyes:)...

P.S., the "wicked weed" is hops not cannabis, though they are related.

Last edited:

Telekarster

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Good for you man!!! Wise choice. FWIW - When I quit smoking cigarettes, when they went up to 1.50 a pack, I went cold turkey. I was a 2 pack a day smoker = 3.00 a day x 365 = 1,095.00 smackers a year! I put that $$$ in a jar each day, for 2 years. With that money I took my wife on a Caribbean cruise :cool: Pretty good motivator to stay on the right path IMO :D

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Yeah me too quit smoking fags about 7 years ago now after smoking for 30+

Are there medical reasons to smoke weed, I feel like breathing in any smoke isn't good for your lungs especially, there's surely safer and better ways to take it for medical reasons?
I don't know enough to give any reason, other than I have been told smoking helps relieve discomfort of chemo-therapy quicker.....but that's not a scientific opinion. I agree that breathing in anything other than pure air would be suspect.....but where can we do that at all anymore? Maybe someone who has actual experience can chime in......I'm truly all ears. ;)

OmegaWoods

Tele-Afflicted
I wish you all the best in your quest to untangle yourself from your habit. I have what I will call a "habitual disposition" which has created a number of difficulties for me through the years. Still does to some extent. I have tried very hard over the past five years to replace my bad habits with better ones. Just like any change, it's one day at a time.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member

Good for you! I've been off of 'em since 1988. As far as the other, while i could drink whiskey all night long, I never had any tolerance for the smoke stuff. A whack or two, and I was down for the count contemplating my navel. It would have been impossible for me to stay hooked up on that stuff, my motivation for working or even moving around on my own would have diminished until I was just stopped and fully vegetated.

JayFreddy

Poster Extraordinaire
Jazz Cabbage!

Congrats on your decision to be healthy.

Talk to your doctor.

Smoking is a peculiar habit. I.e., The act of burning medicinal plants and inhaling the smoke.

Certain substances have serious physical side effects of withdrawal, and may require a substitute or treatment to mitigate the most serious side effects.

For example, alcohol withdrawal is treated with Ativan, heroin addiction is treated with methadone, etc.

I haven't heard about any serious physical side effects of cannabis withdrawal, but if you feel like quitting cold turkey is going to be a challenge, talk to your regular doctor.

Wellbutrin is regularly used to curb tobacco cravings, but there may be other things available that would be more effective and better suited to your individual health situation.

Lots of people have successfully made the change you're attempting to make. Kudos for realizing that you don't have to go it alone.

Good luck!

bsman

Friend of Leo's
IMO, there are two criteria:
  1. If it's hard to quit - you have a problem and should quit.
  2. If you can go days or weeks without feeling deprived, then it's not a problem and you can quit or not.

Deeve

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
If ya wanna smoke, that's your business.
If ya wanna quit, you are not alone.

PM and we can hook you up to make that one-day-at-a-time change in your life.
There are a lot of us here on the forum who will be happy to assist.
I know I'm not the only one who enjoys a new freedom from the old ways.

Peace - Deeve

nvilletele

Friend of Leo's
Good for you. Though I have no issue with people doing what they want, mostly, if you feel this is the right step for you, then it’s fantastic.

I also quit that item, about a year and half or so ago. It turned out easier than I thought it would. No real cravings, at all. I just stopped cold turkey and that was it.

However, I did start having night sweats. I learned this is not uncommon when quitting. But in my case, it lasted for 2 months, not the few times I had read about.

Though those 2 months were bad in terms of lack of sleep for having to get up 4 times a night to change my sweat drenched nightwear, it did end and never returned. Plus, I had been smoking for around 45 years or so, rather consistently. YMMV.

Most people don’t get the night sweats, but I sure did. In general though, there are very few if any adverse consequences from quitting.

I have still had no strong urges to smoke again. Good luck to you.