I've purchased my dream board, ...and I cant play through it for 2 months!!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by 4pickupguy, May 17, 2020.

1. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

In January I was sent to Korea on business. On the way back I was supposed to stop in Japan to assess the progress of partner project for 4 days. Things were very behind and then the zombie apocalypse. Suffice it to say, I am still here. It has however given me the means to catch up on things needed for the house, save some money away and purchase the items needed to build my dream board. A very, very rare opportunity.

This is what I am working on (below). I preordered the Plethorax5 back in February and it is supposed to deliver mid-June. The last two things I have left to purchase is the Boss ES-8 and the SA750w Schmitt Array pedal board!!! Those I will order over the next few weeks. The rest is already waiting at home.

I will be stuck here for much longer and it is killing me not to be home playing with my new toys. When I return I have to work on the house and a guitar for someone before I can work on this. (>_<) I consider this to be the best problem ever!

It will be wired to be my W/D\W live rig. It looks like a ton of gain stages, ok, it is a ton of gain stages
    but it is simpler than it looks.

Upper shelf:
    1. Blue Note Pro for low gain (hair)
    2. Ethos TWE-1 for mid gains.
    3. Jam Pedals Rattler for high gain.
    4. TC PlethoraX5 for mods, delays, verbs.

lower shelf right to left all set and forget items:
    5. EP Boost assignable in front/behind of any gain stage (ordered today)
    6. Moolon Brithish Octah (octavia for Hendrix tunes mainly)
    7. Pedal Pawn Fuzz (for Hendrix stuff)
    8. Origin Effects Cali76 Compact Deluxe. (used after low/mid drives)
    9. Loopi active AB/Y w/polarity switch to split wet and dry signals. (most likely mounted underneath)
    10. Ethos Preamp OD used as Wet side preamp only.
    11. Boss DC-2 w

Bottom row:
    12. EB Vol Jr Tuner (exp pedal)
    13. Boss ES-8 Midi/Loop Switcher.
    14. Digitech Ventura Vibe.

7E4C94CA-42BD-483D-A79C-B6AA5E144854.png
    I ordered all GigRig power supply components needed as well so it should run dead quite.

The Wet sides go to two 1-12 Ethos powered cabinets (30 watts each). The dry goes to a '68 CDR Deluxe Reverb. I wanted to post because I want to chronicle the build and video demo the PlethoraX5 as I think that thing is going to be a game changer. Any advice on the ES-8?

2. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Looks awesome!

4pickupguy likes this.
  3. arlum

arlum Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

The Cali76 denotes a player of great taste all by itself. The Ethos Overdrive and TWE-1 OD Preamp just bumps that up another notch. Thee Boss Dimension C is also a +++++. Nice setup. I hope it delivers for you when it becomes available.

4pickupguy likes this.
  4. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Looks great! I hope it turns out to meet, or exceed your expectations.

4pickupguy likes this.
  5. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yikes! It’s the control panel of the Starship Enterprise, right? :confused:

I have no idea what most of those ‘things’ do but it looks very, err, comprehensive! :eek:

I do have a pedalboard but yours makes me feel very inadequate! :D

Good luck with it and thanks for sharing. :)

Fretting out, AAT65 and 4pickupguy like this.
  6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Congrats! Sounds like you know exactly what you want :)

I leaped full into the midi controlling and switching thing in quarantine too, with an ES-5 and it’s great. While the ES-8 is too big and too much right now, the ES-5 fits the bill, but now I wish they made an ES-6 or ES-7 with some stereo options. That was the biggest decision, but I still run two amps with the board, but its only at the reverb stage (no wet/dry).

I gave up the full stereo stuff in favor of being able to route both modulation (Mobius) and delay (Volante) in any order I want. I stacked the OD path and placed those two pedal front and center (a Timmy and POT). The reverb (Ventris) is out of the loop, tacked at the end, only using midi to switch it in or out, when not using it in manual mode to build new sounds.

I think I understand what you have in loops vs the utility/always on stuff, except one. Are you running the Plethorax5 in a loop or tailing the end? I’m assuming you're using Midi either way..

4pickupguy likes this.
  7. 4pickupguy

Not sure actually. I am going to try going mono send out of loop 7 into the AB/Y splitter. This is the post dirt dry signal one side will go to my '68 CDR Deluxe (dry amp), the other side go to the Ventura Vibe and DC-2w and back to the loop 7 stereo return. I only use one of these at a time and mostly its the Ventura Vibe in Leslie mode. The Loop 8 send and return will go to the PletoraX5. The stereo outs will then go the my wet amp/cabs and will contain dry and the very wet signal (damp if you will). If it is out of phase I can reverse it at the AB/Y splitter. There many ways to get there though. Pretty sure this is the way I will end up using it. Yes midi to control changes on the PlethoraX5.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  8. Nandrewjackson

Nandrewjackson TDPRI Member

Wow. Traveling the world for work and buying whatever you want for a pedalboard. Me, a tad jealous? Maybe. Oh well. Have fun. Don't choke on it. Lol.

4pickupguy likes this.
  9. 4pickupguy

NPD!! Sweetwater has started shipping TC PethoraX5s!! Mine shipped today!!! Stoked!!!

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  10. 4pickupguy

So, does anyone here own one of the Schmitt Array pedal boards? Worth the price? Thoughs?
    I want one as they do offer a board that will work perfectly for my setup. But, they are high as a cats back...

SA750w.jpg

11. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Holic

Jefe, would you say I have a plethora of piñatas?

4pickupguy likes this.
  12. 4pickupguy

Cood it be, El Guapo, dat maybe you are upset at somting else, and taking it out on poor Jefe?

Si, I have da Plethorah!!

13. 4pickupguy

NPD x 2 just purchased the ES-8 Midi/loop switcher and the Pedal Pawn Fuzz today!!!

FYI, The Pedal Pawn Fuzz is 15% off until Wednesday.

65482C7E-1F5C-41FC-B14B-F0DB877933ED.jpeg

Last item on the menu is the the pedal board. Really wanting the Schmitt Array but its so frickin' expensive.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  14. 4pickupguy

O my god!! Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! Well, after much more research for alternatives, I bit the very harsh bullet of purchasing the Schmidt Array SA750c Switcher board (see post #10 above) with all the options. It just turns out there is nothing out there like these, and, as this is most likely my last board, I'm making it count.
    The one I ordered is the size of the green one in the post above but I ordered mine in the Black and Gold "Echo Plex" color theme (yeah, i know they are green and silver, but thats what SA calls it) like this one:

B5673FAE-6DD1-40E8-8792-BBC236165EE4.jpeg

So, there it is. Everything I need to build my dream board with maybe the exception of a few patch cables etc,. This Schmidt Array thing was the one thing I stressed over. Most everything else that I purchased new for the board I am very confident in as I REALLY researched and gassed for over the last few years. I will return to this thread and document its build up and do reviews for at least the PlethoraX5, TWE-1, Pedal Pawn Fuzz and the SA pedal board. This will be the best rig I have ever owned and I am now dying to get home!!!

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    Mouth likes this.
  15. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Holic

Quality stuff. I look forward to seeing it come together.

4pickupguy likes this.
  16. 4pickupguy

I got a PPD file from GigRig just to make sure I had planned correctly and I missed a few things.

Does anyone run a Origin Effects comp on 18 volts? What’s the difference in performance?

Does anyone have experience using the Virtual Battery on old style octavia or fuzz circuits? Any problems? I have only ever run them on batteries..

PPD 52820.jpg

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  17. 4pickupguy

Ok, Martyn Smith at Schmidt Array sent me pictures of my completed board!!! OMG am I stoked! By far the most expensive single piece of my rig, and that includes my amps BTW (>_<). I actually considered making this thing myself to save the money but, since this will probably be my last live rig... I want it to be nice. It’s done and will be waiting on me to populate and wire up when I get back home.

19827C5F-D8BC-4A2C-9BEA-189CAA8216C2.jpeg 07B87290-2AB5-40C6-AA1A-243CF8AFF98E.jpeg F6E31A75-A2E3-4E64-86CE-4C5087F27B9B.jpeg

18. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Holic

that's really slick. i am rebuilding my pedal board over the next month or so. what would you recommend for patch cables?

4pickupguy likes this.
  19. 4pickupguy

I ended up with LAVA Tightropes. I just want to default to soldered cables but it is impossible to get any that fit. I even went so far as to fabricate my own mini right angle plugs from Switchcraft right angle plugs. My only solderless experience has been with the Lava Tightropes. I had a few that “didn’t ring out” correctly and had to repeat the assembly process but once they are terminated correctly, they seem to do just fine.

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  20. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Holic

thanks for the recommendation. i'll definitely check those out.

4pickupguy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.