1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I've never owned a Deluxe Reverb. Am I missing out?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by noname_dragon, Sep 18, 2020.

1. joelguitars

joelguitars TDPRI Member

Glad I'm not the only one.. I traded a SF Princeton and a sum of money for my impressively sized 'piece of Peavey' and also still kicking myself. Also had an Gibson SG and a Gibson 330 also traded for much lesser instruments between the age of 17 and 21

2. 53Strat

53Strat Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I know it causes rumbles all around the forums but I actually prefer the Tonemaster. :eek:

Mike M and CalebAaron666 like this.
  3. timfred

timfred Tele-Meister

Yes. I’ve been through several late 60’s 1x12 20ish watt amps...Ampeg, Magnatone, Marshall. I love them and they each have their place.

But when played back to back with my 1966 DR... it’s obvious that the Fender is in a different league. Cleans are unique and when cranked it’s the sound of rock and roll.

The other, less obvious, thing is that the DR takes pedals better than anything else I’ve experienced, maybe because it’s a reference platform for pedal makers.

Clinchriver likes this.
  4. bluetele54

bluetele54 Friend of Leo's

I’ve never grokked with a Deluxe.
    But I WILL say any ‘64 Electric Ins. model was a lovely sound.
    I recently sold a beautiful ‘66 VR that I’ve had for years yet rarely used.
    I sold it for a fair price and used some of the cash to be able to buy a Pristine brown ‘63 Princeton.
    I’ve had a BF Twin, Super Reverb, brown Concert, brown Super, even an original ‘63 brown Vibroverb (it was a loner, but I had it for close to two years, not knowing it was one of, if not the the most, rare amps Fender ever made).
    Sold so many amps that I’m down to a select few. A lovely March of ‘65 PR is now my go to.
    If it’s not loud enough, mic it, if it’s still not loud enough, I’m not there.

That said, if a ‘64 DR was to surface for a reasonable price, hmmmmm.
    Naw, I still would rather have my Budda Twinmaster 10.
    That and my ‘64 Fender Reverb, and I’m happy.

5. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Meister

Of the greatest amps ever made for sure, but some sacrilege here...

The Tone master Deluxe is amazing. Really close to the actual Deluxe, but with the attenuator you can play great a low volumes with breakup (.2 and .5 watts), something you can't do with an actual Deluxe.

Cali Dude likes this.
  6. Neilmatthews3233

Neilmatthews3233 TDPRI Member

Late to this but... I own the ‘65 and ‘68 DRRIs and they are nice amps. Loud enough for the pub type gigs I’ll play; anything larger than that (without a PA) and I’d imagine they’d struggle. That’s what my Deville is for. But- here’s the thing: I prefer the sound of my Deville. So I basically use that everywhere. Volume on 3 suits my venues with the guitar volume rolled back a bit. TS-9 for a bit of a boost. To me (and it’s all personal so it’s likely just me) the DR amps sound sweet but I like the tone from the Deville. Maybe it’s just ‘fuller’. Could be the 212 configuration. Who knows; who cares? All I know is that I’d trade any of my DRs ahead of the Deville. But that’s probably me in a minority of one!

Cali Dude and black_doug like this.
  7. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

Ive owned a whole slew of Fender amps, both new/modern and vintage, and likewise have never owned a DR. The thing thats kept me away has been the bright cap. Ive always kept it off, on any and all BF/SF/RI Fenders, but the DR doesn't have a bright switch. I know one can clip or mod the amp, or buy an Allen, Louis, Vintage Sound where it IS switchable, but i just never have.

8. cornfed

cornfed Tele-Meister

Just played mine through the normal #2 channel,, really loud, “Oh My” there’s so much in little beasts.
    worst case , I mean best case scenario you’ll hate and you’ll sell it cheap to someone that will love it

9. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

These Guys have not had a Deluxe in their quiver either.
    Interesting video on how they chose the one they where going to buy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.