1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I've never owned a Deluxe Reverb. Am I missing out?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by noname_dragon, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Terrytown

Terrytown TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Deluxe and Twin Can't go wrong.
    I did purchase a second DR Tweed Reissue but the speaker didn't hold up. Love the look! The old traditional sound was there but once I replaced the speaker its been working great for 10 - 15 years. I have two DR's that will outlive me. I just love the sound and my pedalboard effects sound great through them.

TF

Maguchi and noname_dragon like this.
  2. gbart14

gbart14 TDPRI Member

Hey, Terrytown, I am in Newberg. My 66 DR and it is my favorite over my 57 Twin or 59 Gibson GA77 which are both close seconds. By the way, I found a terrific amp tech in Portland. Reworked my 57 Twin for me. If I ever needed help on my DR, he would do it. Let me know if you need a connection to him. 57 Twin, 59 GA-77, 66 Deluxe Reverb.jpg

3. 76standard

76standard TDPRI Member

I too have a Pro Reverb loaded with two 50 watt Weber Alnico speakers. Perfect for both indoor and outdoor gigs. It’s rated at40 watts. It is a sleeper amp that many overlook. Some call it a baby Twin Reverb because of the reduced wattage.

The DR is a 22 watt amp. They are awesome amps, and generally all you need volume wise. Outside gigs may require micing the amp, depending on how much volume you plan to play at and cut through the mix. Some things to consider: volume level, likely gig space, how clean you want to play. Some love the DR because of its break up tone at medium to medium-high volume levels. I chose my Pro Reverb over the Deluxe Reverb because of the added wattage. I don’t regret my decision.

noname_dragon likes this.
  4. Yuro

Yuro TDPRI Member

That sounds like a thread of its own. I'm sure you'll get 200 responses to it. My neighbors called one night when my friend and I were trying out my new-to-me Twin Reverb at home. No cops...only because we know them. It was bloody loud!

5. Yuro

Yuro TDPRI Member

DR was on my short list for a long time.

I had a Pro Reverb when I was younger. It was too much amp for my maturity level. I put 2 JBLs in it. I fell for the JBL advertising instead of trusting my ears. It was a real ice-pick...and weighed a ton with those mofos in it. Too efficient and made the amp too loud.

25 years later, I was shopping for a used Super Reverb and ended up with a used Twin instead. I still have it. It's way too much amp but it sounds good turned down with pedals. Great, in fact. The lights go dim on the block when I warm up all 4 6L6 tubes.

Although I wanted a DR, I really don't understand the pricing of the things. One of my favorite guitarists played a BF Deluxe (no reverb) with a POD. He was subbing at an Amazing Rhythm Aces gig at Wildwood Springs Resort in Steelville, MO. What a great 2 nights of music in an ideal setting. Their regular guy had a gig with Hank Jr. This guy was standing in and really blew me away. He didn't know the songs...told me he learned the bits where the guitar lick started the song. Will I ever be that good? Unlikely.

Anyway, that really put the Deluxe on my radar. I ended up getting a used Carr Rambler. It's got better tremolo, same reverb, has 6L6's in it with the same chassis as a Deluxe but with slightly bigger transformers to handle the 6L6s. I had a problem at first, trying to find a speaker that didn't boom in the mid-bass. Finally found a great small voice coil Fender Oxford speaker that would probably sound wimpy in another cabinet. It's magic in this thing...and inefficient enough to allow me to crank the amp a bit before it gets very loud. I love it...and it rules with pedals. It's about the same size as a Deluxe but has a pine cabinet that is more closed in the back than a Fender combo. Still open, but not as..

Then I bought a Carr Slant 6V (4 6V6s - 40 watts). It has a cathode pair and a fixed bias pair of 6V6s. You can run just 2 of them for half power. Sounds good on either pair (one pair is like BF, other like tweed) I got a 15" Legend speaker for it. At full power, 40 watts, you can still keep volume down and get great sounds from it. I think it's my best low volume amp, actually. Another really fabulous Fender-ish Carr amp that just sounds 20% better to me than the original. You can crank the gain on these to get a Marshallish sound but it's better at the edge of breakup...I think that's what they had in mind when they built it. Has really Lonnnggg spring reverb. It took me a while to bond with that...and I only use that reverb on about 2.

Anyway, I can get a deluxe reverb sound out of it using the fixed bias side...but bigger cab and 15" speaker. Between this S6V and the Rambler, I''ve got DR covered.

6. koula

koula TDPRI Member

guilty. Back in 1980 when we were recording in my bedroom. We were just finishing up as the police rolled up :D ha ha.

Maguchi likes this.
  7. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Meister

A Tweed or Blackface Deluxe Reverb, or a clone or reissue is the standard for all other amps. The 1970 Deluxe is a Silverface and the circuit has been modified. It still sounds good, but IMHO the Tweed Deluxe sounds best and the Blackface Deluxe is a very close 2nd. Tweed and Blackface Princetons are great too, just a little less power. I have a '65 Princeton reissue.

Princeton.jpg

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  8. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Holic

all the time when i was a kid. and in the daytime too!

and yet, nobody cares about the leafblowers or chainsaws and tile cutters that dwarfed my 20 watt amp in the garage.

for the vanity of your house, everything is permitted. but people having fun? how dare they!

BobbyZ, JimInMO, Bob Arbogast and 3 others like this.
  9. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

LOL I made the exact same point in a different thread about how loud a Fender Princeton can go. I said "who really cares?", in the 'burbs people crank up the gas-engine yard equipment all the time and it's WAY louder. But someone playing an actual song on a guitar? Forget it - call the cops. My neighbor runs his massive leaf blower for HOURS, often until 9pm. He seems oblivious to the impact of his evening noise-fest on our sleepy cul-de-sac...

10. DeckerPhan92

DeckerPhan92 TDPRI Member

No, you're not missing out. Just look at all the great players who don't use one.

11. kristen

kristen TDPRI Member

Yes you are missing out. I don't have one either.
    We are destined to live in misery until we get one.

12. jkats

jkats Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Yes.

13. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Tele-Meister

Had a '75 Twin, and I loved it. I'm sure the guy that stole it loves it too. Now I have a Bill M modded Blues Jr. and a Pro Jr. "Woody". My stage rig is a Mesa Boogie MK II B+, which I have had for 40 years. It's been good to me.

14. amazocon

amazocon TDPRI Member

The Super Reverb is a great amp, and most recently I had a Quad Reverb, another great amp with a master volume. Any 70's Fender amp with Reverb, especially the Dual Showman Reverb.

15. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Get a Joyo American Sound pedal ($30-ish) ...

16. Jjmatashi

Jjmatashi TDPRI Member

Love them so much that I had 4! A Vintage 67 Blackface, a Reissue, a 64 Handwired, and a ToneMaster! Did a quick and dirty comparo before I sold 3 and kept the Vintage...

Play a Twin (and a Super) at home at your own risk! Another crazy loud amp is the DeVille 4x10.

17. aFewGoodTaters

aFewGoodTaters TDPRI Member

Personally I love DRs and have been gigging '68 Custom Deluxe for a few years now. The best sounding and feeling amp I've had the pleasure to play was a dimed vintage '65 DR but it was pretty loud and I probably couldn't get away with that volume in most clubs.

Given what the OP already has for fender amps (PR, VR, Band Master), he has the Fender sound covered pretty well I'd say. If you're really looking for that 1x12 combo sound, you could certainly do a lot worse than a DR.

18. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Tele-Meister

Had a '63 Super Reverb that I recently sold, with very low mileage. Playing my '71 SG standard, I would just turn it up, and my oh my, those 10" speakers just screamed.

joelguitars likes this.
  19. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

I want one too!

20. joelguitars

joelguitars TDPRI Member

yes! fantastic amp. I am lucky to have a '68 SF with the 'drip edge' that I picked up a few years ago for $650. Does anyone know if there were any changes to this model compared to pre CBS? It had an altec which I swapped out for a Weber Vintage series. The reissues sound great too!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.