1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I've never owned a Deluxe Reverb. Am I missing out?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by noname_dragon, Sep 18, 2020.

1. rotsap

rotsap TDPRI Member

To be clear, to be simply frank, yes, you are missing out.

noname_dragon likes this.
  2. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

If you've got a Vibroluxe and a Princeton you already have the bases covered. I have a DRRI and love it, but a PRRI SE with a 12" Celestion Cream alnico gets the most playtime these days.

3. Gjguitarmn

Gjguitarmn TDPRI Member

This is an outstanding amp for all the reasons everyone has already mentioned. The only one I like better is a Rivera era Fender Super Champ. Both amps are in high demand in the studio.

4. OneOcean

OneOcean TDPRI Member

Haha, "altered somewhat." I bet it's a killer amp but it's really a stretch to still consider it a DR. Wonder if someone was trying to Marshalize it with the solid state rectifier and 10" speakers. EL34s or KT66s should pop right in there too. I'd guess some other changes have been made too. I'd like to find an amp like this to buy for modding. It should sell for a discount over an original DR and no guilt to get in there and play around.

5. Cosmicstrings

Cosmicstrings TDPRI Member

"Blue Bill, post: EVM12Ls in both (DR's)".
    That is the magic combo. I loved my 64 DR with the 12L in it. Main amp for 20 years. Got too heavy for me and I tried many other speakers. Dont know if it was me or the amp but without that speaker it didnt do it for me. Still have it but use other amps now.

6. aeyeq

aeyeq Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

7. turfdoc

turfdoc TDPRI Member

I prefer its cousin, the Vibrolux.

8. berzirk

berzirk TDPRI Member

I have an original 1964. Wonderful amp on many levels. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. If you’re playing single coil pups it’s especially great as you maintain that clarity even as you push it to break up. It never sounded great with my old LP as the bass would sometimes “fart” (only way to describe it sorry)
    It’s a good combo especially if you’re looking for portability or something that can be enjoyed at safe volumes.

9. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

All modding done, to return it to DR specs one has to replace the ss rectifier with the original rectifier tube, replace the 6L6s with 6V6s, rebias, and put the original baffle with the 1x12 back in. Everything else was left as is. Either way, it's a glorious little beast!

10. westies

westies TDPRI Member

It's the gold standard for clean amps without question. That being said, it's all clean all the time unless you are in a big enough space to run it loud. You will need pedals to get any grit or crunch at lower volume levels if you are practicing or playing at home. It wouldn't be my first choice for rock/blues players if it's your only amp unless without overdrive pedals. It does have the awesome Fender spring reverb aboard and the tremelo is fantastic as well. I love it with an Ibanez blues driver. I bought a Marshall mini Silver Jubilee 5 watt/20 watt switchable which does it all very well, and the Deluxe Reverb went to my other guitar player in our practice room.

noname_dragon and black_doug like this.
  11. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I think Deluxe Reverb’s are kinda like cilantro...you either like them or you don’t...

I love the sound of a Deluxe Reverb, when someone else is playing through it...(same way I feel about Les Pauls)...

Gimme a Vibroverb or a Vibrolux or a Super Reverb or a Princeton Reverb...I guess I like 10” speakers...

12. MoHump

MoHump TDPRI Member

My first real amp was a '65 BF Vibrolux. Bought it at a garage sale in the early 70s. Sold it and ended up with a HRD which is OK, but there are things about it I still don't like. So, now I have a DRRI, and am considering the tone master version as it is so much lighter. Twins were way to heavy and loud.

13. LittleSonny

LittleSonny TDPRI Member

Some of the comparisons made here are apples and oranges. Twins and Pros etc., are no doubt great amps in their way but they are larger and heavier for a start, not to forget being considerably louder. Back when it was possible to be doing several gigs a week, I'd hate to be dragging a Twin in and out of the car/van all the time, let alone a Super Reverb. There are solid reasons why a DR is arguably the most popular amp ever designed. Still, at the end of the day it's horses for courses.

What I might suggest since you have a PR is getting a 12" speaker for it. Ideally, have a new baffle made with grill cloth. Super easy to swap speakers depending on requirements. I bought mine with the 2nd baffle and speaker included. The PR becomes louder with more headroom.

Another option which was included on a custom amp I had made for me is an adapter ring. You keep the grill cloth which retains the patina. It's a matter of enlarging the hole for the speaker to accommodate the 12". The adapter ring for the 10" fits over the bolts for the 12" then simply bolt on the 10. Changes the originality of the baffle of course but retains the look of the grill cloth, assuming one is not hamfisted removing the cloth to cut the hole. If you go that route clean up the solder on the speaker connectors and put spade connectors on your speaker leads. That way you don't have to unsolder/solder anything. I've got this arrangement on my custom amp which has three speakers. I can go 12, 10, 8. 2x10 1x8, 1x12 2x8, 2x10 1x12, etc.. Talk about versatility. That amp was built specifically for harmonica but the principle is the same.

14. Chuckboy

Chuckboy TDPRI Member

I own one. It has been "black-faced". It is probably the best sounding amp I own. However, it is a tad too loud for jams in a relatively small room.

I highly suggest a Fender Blues JR. Get all the BillM mods and have your local amp wizard "black-face" it. Install a really good speaker. You can play it at 7-9 and still stand in front of it, and it is much, much lighter than a DR.

15. Esquier

Esquier TDPRI Member

It's the first 6V6 amp with a standby, right? That's because it's just like all the bigger Fender amps but with small tubes and trannies. They couldn't even afford to put chrome corners on them. Early ones didn't even merit a Fender badge! The wide cabinet really makes the 12" speaker sound good especially when you upgrade it

16. EdgarHF

EdgarHF Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I own one. It's a nice amp but tough on my old back to lug around.

17. Esquier

Esquier TDPRI Member

I tricked out Buddy's Blues Jr with 6V6s and larger trannies etc etc and now it's a lighter version of his Deluxe!

18. mmannaxx

mmannaxx Tele-Meister

The vintage DR is a great amp ( I had a 66 and a 75). I also had a 1981 Vibrolux (had returned to the blackface cosmetics from silverface). I also have 67 Vibro Champ. and I have a 75 Princeton Reverb that I rehoused in a solid cherry cabinet (it is giggable for small stuff and can always be mic'ed). You can tell they all have the vintage Fender sound. Great reverb (except for the VC) and great tremelo or vibrato. If you like the Fender sound, versatility, and simple interface they are great and they are what has been used on so many recordings and stages. Now if you want higher gain, master volume, attenuators, and other more recent amp changes (not to mention modeling options) then this is not the amp for you. The older I get the less I like to lift. The Vibrolux and Deluxes are gone. Keeping my PR and my VC though. I still have a tweed Deluxe clone and a Goodsell Super 17 style with el84s but those will be gone way before my last 2 Fenders which are my overall faves.

19. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

IMG_0313.JPG

I recently found a 1973 Deluxe Reverb in what looks like band new condition. I love it. The perfect size for me since I got a few crush vertebrae in a car accident and the Tweed Bassman is too heavy for me to continue using when gigging. The DR is the exact sound I want from my playing. The early 70s DRs are pretty much the same as the blackface versions and sound virtually the same to my ears. I have an Alesandro GA65 speaker in it, but I also have the original that came with the amp.

20. Tommy G

Tommy G TDPRI Member

This is slightly OT but in the past I've had several black face DR's. Great sound in the right environment but they never had enough head room for me. This is subjective. In 1977 I purchased a new MusicMan 100RD (with the EV1 speaker) amp, plugged in my 58 Tele and Never Looked Back. One of the all time great combinations. The only drawback at his point, I'm going to be 74 next week, is the weight. It's 69lbs! and my old body makes it hard to move but it's always worth it. The DR is light and bright and cranked, sounds great if you're in a small venue. Only have two amps at this point. The MM and an early Boogie Studio 22 which I'll use in smaller gigs. I'm getting tired of the Boogie and may switch to something different but also no playing out at this point so... The Tele and my MM rule.

hotrodkid and noname_dragon like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.