1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I've never owned a Deluxe Reverb. Am I missing out?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by noname_dragon, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

My experience as well.

I want to love that BF sound and do love the sound from recordings of others but as the sole guitar player in all the bands I've been in the BF sound I felt never had enough girth for me to hear well and the thinness left me feeling naked on the stage. Almost like I had to fight my guitar for the single notes to have a little punch.

2. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

Based on the amps you already have, you are not missing anything. If you did not have a bf/sf fender, i'd say grab it for sure.

noname_dragon likes this.
  3. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Holic

There are a lot of good custom amp builders these days.

noname_dragon and telemnemonics like this.
  4. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Holic

I recently bought a 1980 Black Face handwired DR. The Weber Signature speaker was thin, bright and uninspiring when played next to a friend’s vintage ‘64 with a Celestion. Another friend revealed he had a dozen or more Vox Celestion frm the 60s so I got one and replaced the Weber.

Massive improvement. Richer, broader, deeper.

Cali Dude and noname_dragon like this.
  5. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

Add me to the list. The Deluxe Reverb's that I have played didn't sound bad, but they didn't ring my bell either. I think they aren't bold enough for one thing. Just kind of utilitarian. And not enough fat and guts and dynamics.

Les H and noname_dragon like this.
  6. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Like a lot a valve amps, you really need to match the wattage to the gig so that the amp is cranked and you're playing in the sweet spot. Pretty hard to find a venue where you can even crank a Champ or a Princeton.

I guess this, in part, explains why modelling amps are becoming popular - but even these sound better at volume.

Good luck with it.

7. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Most versatile usable,clubbable, gigable, perfectly sized and perfectly powered amp ever. Other than that you haven’t missed a thing...

8. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I think it's like guitars really; some you like and find a use for, others just leave you cold. I happen to have a '64 Custom Deluxe Reverb, which I love: It does exactly what I expect for a 'Fender clean' tone, but I appreciate it isn't for everyone: Even Deluxe fans might chip in that I've paid too much for this 'handwired' model, but I always wanted ONE BF amp and a Twin is just too much for my needs and I wanted to really treat myself for once instead of buying the budget option as I usually do. I admit that I'd have considered the '64 HW Princeton if it had been available when I bought my Deluxe.

I've played a few smaller gigs (60-70 people in village halls) and had no need to turn it up above '5' with my Strat, so it is mostly clean at this point unless I really dig in.

I have a Tweed Champ clone, Marshall 'Plexi' style amp (SV20H) and a Marshall Mini Jubilee so with the Deluxe I've got the main amp sounds I want covered. Might have to get a Vox at some point, but I have a little Vox pedal/amp thing (MV50 AC) which scratches that itch enough for now.

Just depends on whether it suits you really...doesn't matter if I like it or not.

9. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

If you like the BF/SF sound they are a very nice movable alternative to their big brothers.

telemnemonics likes this.
  10. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

I don't like them... I was using a Twin Reverb and a Bassman. I tested msome Deluxe reverb. I wanted to like them... meh

The lack of Mid Pot was a NO Deal for me

telemnemonics and noname_dragon like this.
  11. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

I sort of settled on using a '66 AC30, a Marshall 18W, a modded '58 Bandmaster and '66 Deluxe Reverb with an old EM1250 speaker. These are the four amps that I will not sell, although the AC30 is a bit loud. I have been playing the Deluxe Reverb for 20 years and it keeps amazing me (and my band mates) during rehearsals with different guitars. I don't play any of 'm at home, unless it is for testing.

12. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Meister

Thanks for all the great replies and super advice! This discussion has lessened my DR GAS considerably and I'm feeling more comfortable that I'm only missing out somewhat. The band I'm in is relatively loud and the PR(with Allessandro 10) only really cuts it during the acoustic portion of the set in small spaces or in our tiny rehearsal room. The VR(w G10 Greenback and Allessandro 10) works in most other environments and gives me what I want with and without a mid hump pedal... as long as I'm near the amp. The Bandmaster(w open back and EMI GB128 and 1258) call cover any space, like outdoors in a field or giant festival stage, or the edge of the Grand Canyon. It's a brute yet even sounds good at low volume. It has authority, shoulders and sweetness so that I can really play with confidence and twang down deep.
    I think I desire a vintage DR just like I want a cool '49 Ford convertible for Sunday morning drives. Don't need it... just want it.

Les H and black_doug like this.
  13. Terickson

Terickson TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I have a Vibrolux reverb, and a Bandmaster, and find my Deluxe reverb essential. It's just perfect for smaller bar gigs, with players who understand dynamics...louder bands, bigger venues, not so much. I have modded the normal channel to a brown Super tone stack with reverb, which gives me a meatier option . Simple mod to do and to remove. I can do the smaller gigs with the VR, but there's a reason Leo made all those different versions of the essentially the same amp.

Oh, and a more effecient speaker helps (GA-sc64).

14. Linkslover

Linkslover Tele-Meister

I've spent a lot of time playing both the Princeton 65 RI and thre 65 DRRI,

These tone is similar with the Princeton maybe a touch more chimey and slightly better tremolo. The DRRI had 2 channels (though I don't know anyone who have ever not used just the reverb channel) and has a bit more head room.

If you're playing at home or mic your amps for gigs, there's no reason to switch.

The deluxe is a fantastic sounding amp as address all of the amps in Fender's reverb line.

cravenmonket likes this.
  15. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I use the normal channel on a Deluxe reverb if it is stock. I hate the sound of that bright cap on the reverb channel.

16. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister

I think so, yeah. Tighter, smoother and better balanced than a stock Princeton. In the same neighborhood as any of the AB763 amps really, and for me the DR's relative practicality outweighs the marginal tonal differences between it and any of its bigger brothers.

Volume is another thing, but FWIW the Twin is my grail tone and I am of the opinion that almost nobody who plays or thinks they need a Twin really needs one. Throw a SS rectifier and an efficient speaker (Swamp Thangs are fabulous in DRs for me) or play through a bigger cab if you need to; You can still get a DR pretty damn loud in the clean realm.

I'm veering away from the point here, what I really mean is that for me some of the DR magic is drive that's inaccessible in bigger BF/SF Fenders in common situations. For many people who aren't playing outdoor gigs it will be the most flexible of the big-boy sounding AB763 amps.

17. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I am in the camp of you are not missing much unless you are doing a lot of recording and need to push the amp for some sustain.

I have a vintage VR and a Bassman LTD for band situations and wouldn't consider a DR Reverb live unless I knew the mixing engineer and thought he would represent me in the balance of the PA or when playing a fairly small club.

18. donrichfan

donrichfan Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I suppose you have to find the right one. I had a '65 and a '70 and both were great for small-medium clubs and did rockabilly and country exceptionally well. Nice breakup could be had with volume on 4 with my Esquire on both of those amps. Wouldn't mind having either one of those amps back, but I'm more of a reverb-less, brown Deluxe guy.

19. JRtele

JRtele Tele-Meister

Mine is actually only for home use. I don’t gig. When I bought the attenuator my world exploded. I haven’t touched a distortion pedal since. It’s incredible what this amp does when pushed (especially around the 7-9 range... magical).

Granted, it’s also a special edition with celestion greenbacks. Gunmetal looks pretty cool. As I play by myself or the occasional neighbour.
    D0DC1D0B-75BF-4798-B89C-0E654C2803B1.jpeg

20. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

My club band will not let me play unless I bring my 1971 Deluxe Reverb. I think they like it best.

Cali Dude likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.