I've never owned a Deluxe Reverb. Am I missing out?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by noname_dragon, Sep 18, 2020.

1. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

You are missing out ...

Pissing off the neighborhood, and having the police come to your house when you turn it up loud is a fundamental life experience...

2. bluescaster72

bluescaster72 Tele-Holic

I had one and didn't care for it as the clean headroom ran out too soon. but that being said you have to try it for yourself to see how you like it .

noname_dragon likes this.
  3. Rip

Rip TDPRI Member

an Icon for a reason.... for me it's recording first and foremost though I used to gig with it. I have a real 65 but they're all pretty dang good Great reverb, excellent tone. Only change I made was the speaker. .the original Jensen wasn't to my taste, I replaced it with custom 50W Alnico Weber years ago.

noname_dragon and Cali Dude like this.
  4. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Love the Pro Reverb much more than the Super Reverb. I have never liked the overly snappy attack of 10" speakers. The 12's in the Pro sound so sweet. Wish I knew you were selling it. I don't live that far away.

That said, I'm a serious Deluxe Reverb fan as well. Put a Weber 12A150 in it and it's pure heaven.

mad dog, noname_dragon and Cali Dude like this.
  5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

If you have and love an old VR there’s really nothing to gain from a DR.
    If that VR has CTS alnico’s the DR might fall way short in tone.
    I like BF/SF SRs better than the rest of that circuit if they have those fattter toned speakers and the speakers are not blown yet.
    I don’t know it they were ever stock in a VR though and I doubt they’d last for the 50 years the ‘70 VR has been around.

6. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's

I’d be happy to own these. With what you’ve got now a DR is not really essential. Existential yes, but essential no.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  7. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

I finally got around to owning a Deluxe Reverb Reissue after avoiding them for many years. I jumped over it to get a Twin Reverb 50 years ago and then went through a bunch of other gigging amps in the paint-peeling volume range. My brother was a big DR fan from the mid '60s and tried to convince me that it was the way to go.

My gigging volume dropped to the point I was satisfied with an Excelsior, Blues Jr and a Rampart. Then I had this golden opportunity to buy a year-old DRRI for $525. I found out that the Deluxe Reverb was the perfect uuitar amp for what I needed.

If you don

Cali Dude likes this.
  8. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

Has anyone ever had the police show up because they're playing guitar too loud at home?

9. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

I have a Fender SS22, so avoided the DRRI for many years.
    One came up for sale locally at a reasonable price so I grabbed it.
    Happy with it. The SS22 has more modern features so beats it on versatility but the DRRI has the classic “Fender Sound “ you have heard for years.
    Folks go on about swapping the speakers, I’ve not felt the need to, thus far.

10. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Holic

Oh yeah. We had been rehearsing in a storage facility for a few years, but they were kicking bands out. So we went to rehearsing at the band leader's home. We had the police called a number of times after that.

11. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Meister

A couple years ago my VR stopped working at a bar gig. My band leader lent me his drip edge DR WITH A VINTAGE 30 and altho it was very different, I was impressed by the sound. I've wanted one ever since.

Cali Dude likes this.
  12. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Holic

Continuation from earlier post. I did enjoy the 65 Deluxe Reverb during those years that I gigged with it, but if I had it to do over, I would prefer to have a Tweed Fender amp of a similar wattage. I much prefer that tone these days. I eventually traded that 65 Deluxe Reverb for a tweed Harvard and cash.

sotob, noname_dragon and JRapp like this.
  13. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Deluxe Reverb is the amp that everyone says I should love and that I want to love but every time I play one I'm underwhelmed.

This one time I went to an out of town gig and backline was provided. There on stage was a DRRI and I though wow ok I finally get to do a gig with one of these! Well it sounded great when I plugged in and everything seemed fine. And then the band started playing and my guitar just disappeared in the mix. So I turned up. And turned up. And turned up. It was plenty loud but I still had trouble hearing myself. The issue is that I'm used to tweeds. The DR's scooped mids absolutely vanish in a mix. That's probably why everyone plays a tube screamer type pedal in front of them.

Watchdogg, dunehunter, jman72 and 4 others like this.
  14. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's

If I bought a DR or DRRI I would put a Vintage 30 in it too.

About ten years ago I went shopping for an amp in the 18 to 30 watt range. It turns out that the DRRI just wasn’t what I was looking for. I was trading in the (very heavy) 2x12 Gibson Goldtone combo. I liked the sound of the Goldtone but not the weight. I came home with a Dr. Z Z-28, which became my main gigging amp. It sounds closer to the Fender brownface amps.

15. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

I had a 1966 Deluxe Reverb. It distorted way too early for me to gig with. I have been using a 2010 DRRI since 2010. The DRRI has more headroom. I attribute this to the Alnico Blue speaker, 15 watts but 102 dB sensitivity.

16. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

I got a 1975 DR in 1980. It's been my number 1 ever since. I got a '68 Custom DR, when they came out, in case the other one had a problem. Which, it hasn't. EVM12Ls in both. I love 'em both.

17. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Meister

I traded one of my BF DRs to someone for a '57 Bassman. Never looked back.

18. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Holic

I have an original 1965 DR. Plays and records extremely well. Touch sensitivity is unreal.

All the amp I'll every need.

However, My next project will be a single-channel DR clone w/o trem. While I'm at it, I'm going to restore the 1965 and return it to stock. Did a few tweaks back in the 80s, that I carry over to the clone.

19. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

That's funny. I had a 68 PR and a 69 DR, then bought a 66 VR. I tried to sell the DR because it was sort of... the obsolete middle child. But no one would pay what I needed them to pay, so I kept it. Been playing it more and more lately, as it fits the volume niche I need right now. Glad I didn't sell it... but I wouldn't buy it with the amps you have.

20. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

Most of the time when I buy something because "I think I should" I wind up regretting it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.