I've got good news, and I've got bad news...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by cacibi, Nov 6, 2010.

1. cacibi

cacibi Friend of Leo's

The good news is: I got my brand new EZG-50 2x10 combo yesterday.

The bad news is: when I start it up - I get a weird, octave-down, synth-like sound underneath the low notes. Then it goes away after a couple minutes.

Since it goes away after the amp warms up - could it just be a tube issue?

When it finally goes away - the amp sounds absolutely incredible. Everything I was hoping for; very disappointed however about the possibility I might need to send it back for some warranty repair.

2. mr.danny

mr.danny Former Member

I'll post this in case anyone else, like me, has not memorized Dr Z model numbers. No idea what you're talking about without Google-ing. If I were in your position, I'd take it to my amp wizard and find out what's up before even thinking about shipping it back. Dunno if you get free return shipping from your dealer, but if not, the time & money involved would make me willing to pay a few bucks for a diagnostic.

After much anticipation Dr Z Amps is proud to announce the newest addition to the lineup... the EZG-50. This is Dr Z’s take on the classic blackface sound. The EZG-50 fits nicely in the Dr Z line as it has a sound not yet represented by Z Amps. The EZG-50 has a very definitive 6L6 clean sound. Whether you are lusting after the classic “El Mocambo” tone, looking to surf the big waves, or want twang straight out of Bakersfield. The EZG-50 will satisfy the most discriminating blackface tone seeker. This is a sound that has been missing in the Z line up until now.
    Much time and care was taken in the development of the EZG-50. The seed of the amp came from a new 6L6 output transformer designed for Z Amps by Ken Fischer. The output transformer has a very unique impedance not used by other American amp makers. This is one of the key factors to the EZG-50s sound. NOS Allen Bradley carbon comp resistors are used in all critical tone positions of the EZG-50 circuit. These classic resistors add a warmth and depth to the tone that only they can give.

The EZG-50 features a 2 knob all tube reverb. The Dwell and Mix controls give you full authority over your reverb needs. Anything from a subtle tail on the note to a full-on surf assault is at your command. You also get a full EQ and a Pre and Post master volume. Around back you’ll find 16, 8, and 4 ohm speaker outs to accommodate any cabinet. With 50 watts of clean power, 2 knob reverb, and a tube rectifier, the EZG-50 is the blackface head that never was…ala Dr Z!

Power Output: 50 Watts
    Output Tubes: 2 - 6L6GE Groove Tubes Preamp Tubes: V1 12AX7, V2 NOS 12AT7, V3 12AX7, V4 NOS 12AT7
    Rectifier: 1 - GZ34
    Controls: Pre & Post Volume, Treble, Mid, Bass, Dwell, and Mix

3. cacibi

cacibi Friend of Leo's

Well I'll tell you what, I waited 81 days to get this amp through my dealer. It only takes 69 days to dig some guys out of a mine in Chile.

So I'm not spending a dime or a minute of my time on this amp. It's going back to the dealer this morning and they can do what they want - have a local service center look at it, ship it back - whatever. But it sure as hell ain't coming out of my pocket.

I'm not doing anything that could potentially void the warranty - including taking it to my tech.

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

One could suspect a long list of things from tubes, to cap, to rectiifer to heater filament voltage to a component somewhere along the chain....
    I agree that it is something that one would not want to deal with in a new amp...and especially an amp that should be a cut above the crowd considering cost. Have the dealer install a fresh GZ34 and see what happens. If the problem is that minor, I would keep the amp. Almost any other scenario brings about a bad feeling with a new amp, imho.

5. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Tele-Afflicted

I'm a long way away to Dx this but, weird harmonics tend to be a cap problem, the signal that gets onto the power supply rails isn't decoupled and interacts with the other stages. Further, faulty caps often do perform better when hot than cold. In recent years a lot of builders have been afflicted with inferior / counterfeit caps on the market.

If this hit my bench with that complaint, I'd first power it up to verify, turn it off before it cleared up and then break out the ESR meter and check the caps.

6. cacibi

cacibi Friend of Leo's

Took it to the shop this morning. Agreed to some tube swapping to see if it was a quick fix. No go. Their authorized repair man only picks up once a week (Fridays of course) so, that's extra awesome.

Appreciate the feedback on what could be causing this could be. As the tube swaps didn't yield anything, I'm hoping an inspection of the caps will. What it sounds like to me (literally, I mean what it sounds like - not saying it is this) is cross-talk somewhere in the circuit.

At the very least today's progress was that I was able to replicate the issue in the shop and the dealer could hear, and acknowledge that something was not right.

7. cacibi

cacibi Friend of Leo's

Dr. Z is awesome! I emailed them yesterday and had a response back early this morning. This is going to get sorted out - and I am really, really pleased with the solution.

Very good customer support from this company.

8. detuned

detuned Tele-Holic

I was going to suggest a call to the mothership.

Mike Zaite & his crew have a well-deserved reputation for stellar customer service. The Doc will take care of you, no doubt.

99% of the time, most of the issues I've heard of with Dr. Z amps are tubes, quite often the rectifier (apparently they just don't make 'em like they used to), but when it's not, a quick call to Brent or the Doc will take care of your problem, guaranteed.

9. cacibi

cacibi Friend of Leo's

I hear ya. I've just never heard a sound like this before, and I've had my share of microphonic tubes over the years. Having swapped all the tubes down at the shop - I just felt like there was some kind of "ghost in the machine". I've had amps before that had issues no one could seem to figure out - and I don't want another one of those on my hands so...the solution their offering really is the best I could have hoped for.

10. hollowman

hollowman Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

+1, great company, great service. never had any issues that could not be resolved with them quickly and easily.

They will handle your problem, no doubt. I would be interested to hear what the culprit is here...

I really want to try out that amp too!! Closest dealer is about an hour away though...

11. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I get to play that model all the time. I don't own it, but I plug into it regularly. One amazing amp no doubt, and I'm not even a fan of traditional Fender sounds. For anybody thinking about it, it will definitely do BF tones, but it will also do SOOOO much more.

And hands down, the best reverb I have ever heard in any amp at any price. I've never heard a better on board 'verb. It's mind blowing.

So sorry to hear about your troubles with a brand new amp. Glad to hear Z is taking care of you. They are made right down the road from where I live, and the Doc and the whole crew there are great folks, who really go the extra mile to take care of their customers. Don't know anybody who's been disappointed with their service.

12. cacibi

cacibi Friend of Leo's

Even with the issue I was experiencing - I can tell it's a great amp. Just loves the telecasters and has a real authoritative sound. Just kind of proud and in your face - but in a great way. The reverb is really good - more subtle than I was expecting for some reason (I mean that in a good way). I can get very surfy but not overly wet. Doesn't take away from the original signal or muddy it up. On some Fender circuits it seems like by the time you get the 'verb up to a really interesting place - it keeps the guitar from cutting through. I hear that with some folks live - and also on recordings. It's like it's pushing the guitar back in the mix.

Anyway - I'm really looking forward to getting this thing - looking forward to having a high(er/ish) wattage amp again.

13. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

A tip for the EGZ-

It loves, and I mean LOVES, to be played with the pre up high and have the volume and breakup controlled from the guitar. It's a thing of beauty. Even that's not your sound, try it once just to experience it. It's a lot of fun.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.