I've got a beef with the term 'blackguard'!!

boneyguy

Doctor of Teleocity
This has been buggin' me for a while. There's other stuff buggin' me too but I'll do my best to limit it to this one thing for the time being.

The term 'Blackguard'. Everyone's got a blackguard Tele if you've got a Tele with a black pickguard!!! Isn't that sort of nonsense. If I buy a Tele with a white p/g and I then put a black p/g on it suddenly I magically have a BLACKGUARD. Oooooooooo. :lol: Isn't the term Blackguard very specific to a period of time.

And don't get me started on people using the term PAF when talking about any sort of humbucker. :rolleyes:

I think I need to spend some time away from people......get me a cabin in the woods......no electricity......no email......:D

cactusrob

Friend of Leo's
I guess it's become kinda like "Kleenex" or "Coke" or "White-Out" or "Scotch tape" or...

hylo

Tele-Meister
You're completely right. But it's also used for describing a black pickguard.

I'm sorry if I did the final push over the edge with my NDG post. :)

boneyguy

Doctor of Teleocity
You're completely right. But it's also used for describing a black pickguard.

I'm sorry if I did the final push over the edge with my NDG post. :)

Yes. It's all your fault. I'll find you and when I do I'm gonna........I'm gonna......ask politely if I can play your new guitar with the black pickguard.

hylo

Tele-Meister
Of course you can! Come on over the pond and I'll hook it up to a nice little Fender Princeton!

3 Chord

Friend of Leo's
I agree, on a forum such as this, we really should be aware of when to use the term "blackguard". I mean it is pretty much Tele 101.

Reminds me of the Sienfeld episode when they were talking about using the word "salsa" because it is so fun to say. Funny stuff.

Esquire59

Tele-Holic
I agree, on a forum such as this, we really should be aware of when to use the term "blackguard". I mean it is pretty much Tele 101.

Reminds me of the Sienfeld episode when they were talking about using the word "salsa" because it is so fun to say. Funny stuff.

That's what I tried to point out in the other thread, but I got bashed there...

petebrown

Tele-Meister
A "blackguard" with a black guard... :D LOL

53telea.JPG

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
a black pickguard does not a blackguard make... it is specific to a model and type of tele... some folks understand that, some someday will, some won't.

my beef is with the the term jack cup. It is a twisted, dark term that is both clinical and crude at the same time.

JCBurke59

Tele-Holic
I'm guilty of referring to my main partscaster as a 'Blackguard' all the time. In my defense, it is inspired by the real thing and has the ash body, maple fingerboard, butterscotch blonde lacquer, bakelite pickguard thing going on (at least those are the details I associate with a 'Blackguard'). I also generally refer to it as a 'blackguard style' or 'partscaster' so I'm not trying to put anything over on anybody.

There are a lot of visible mods on it including a reversed control plate, compensated saddles, cutoff bridge plate, locking strap buttons, etc so it is obviously not true to an original in those details. For those with 'eagle eyes' there's also stainless jumbo frets, way too many philips head screws and BSB rather than yellowed clear over blonde. As much as I like how it looks, I don't think it would ever be mistaken for the real thing.

By your definition, does this qualify as a 'Blackguard'? (not arguing, just curious). BTW - I took the original post to be light-hearted rather than serious - so I've answered with that in mind...

100_2184_crop35.jpg

JCBurke59

Tele-Holic
Thanks. To be honest, original 'Blackguards' are very special guitars so I can see the logic in reserving the 'title' only for the real deal.

ESQUIREoholic

Tele-Afflicted
Hey,
I've got 2 "Blackguard" Teles...
But...
>they are 72' Telecaster Customs
>with the huge Tele Custom Pickguards
>4 knobs even on each one
>a Gibson style switch...on a Tele??? Get a rope boys
>ah, they're Reissues too
>and yeah they are both stripped down and refinished
>In Olympic White and Sunburst
>refretted too

They're "Blackguards" to me
131380252.jpg

GEEZ I must be crazy..
Oh,
Fageta'bout it...

Who cares, I love all Teles, use what ever guard you like.

BTW I did buy a copy of "THE" "Blackguard" book :D

boneyguy

Doctor of Teleocity
I'm guilty of referring to my main partscaster as a 'Blackguard' all the time. In my defense, it is inspired by the real thing and has the ash body, maple fingerboard, butterscotch blonde lacquer, bakelite pickguard thing going on (at least those are the details I associate with a 'Blackguard'). I also generally refer to it as a 'blackguard style' or 'partscaster' so I'm not trying to put anything over on anybody.

Maybe you should refer to it as a 'B' type 'T' style guitar. That would serve the dual purpose of making up more useless descriptions and also be politically correct for sensitive guys like me.:D

boneyguy

Doctor of Teleocity
a black pickguard does not a blackguard make... it is specific to a model and type of tele... some folks understand that, some someday will, some won't.

my beef is with the the term jack cup. It is a twisted, dark term that is both clinical and crude at the same time.

But I like having a cup around my jack hole. I just figured everyone did.