1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I've Gone off the Partscaster Deep End

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Phrygian77, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Help! I've lost it. I have no direction. I just keep buying bodies and parts.

I originally wanted a light weight backup to my Esquire, or maybe just replace the body altogether.

Then, I ended up with this.

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/new-black-52-meets-70s-tele-build.991462/

That guitar now has a Duncan Jerry Donahue bridge pickup, and a pickguard mounted Lollar Royal T neck pickup. It's a great guitar, but I HATE the black. I'm also wishing I'd never Tru-Oiled the neck. It feels fine, but it made that roasted maple so dark.

Then, I bought this body intending for it to replace my Esquire.

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/not-a-pumpkin-part-2.1052402/

What did I end up with, a guitar with that has the same Jerry Donahue bridge pickup, a Duncan Alnico II Pro neck pickup, and the Musikraft neck off my Esquire. Nearly my perfect Tele.

So, I've got two Tele's that are good gigging guitars, and good backups to one another, but I can't stand the esthetics of the black one ... and I still want my lighter Esquire.

I had thought the neck off my Esquire neck was toast, the skunk stripe had come loose. I had ordered a replacement for it from Warmoth, just in case. Although, I ended up saving it with some thin CA glue.

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/super-glue-skunk-stripe-repair.1054455/

So now, I've got this custom ordered (vintage modern, standard thin 'C', 9.5", 1-11/16", 21-fret 6105 nickel) Warmoth neck sitting here without a home. My Esquire!

For some reason, I grabbed one of those Fender '60s classic series Alder bodies. I wish I had done my research. I hate that the jack cup area isn't flat. Another issue I have with my black Tele, that and the non-recessed string ferrules.

PXL_20210303_042102708.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20210303_042125922.NIGHT.jpg

Those are Marc Rutters string ferrules.

Then, a new Warmoth Vintage Tele body pops up in their showcase, Alder and Olympic White. So what do I do, order it! Why?

Where am I going? I keep thinking I want to put my Esquire neck back where it belongs, even though I can't gig that guitar anymore, but I want it as it was. I have another Mojotone Broadcaster bridge pickup to build a new one. I'm also probably going to swap the black Tele body with one of these, but I'm not sure which yet.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    jscud and RoscoeElegante like this.
  2. aleski

aleski Tele-Meister

Your Esquire!

Phrygian77 likes this.
  3. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Faced with the same situation, I used a step drill to carefully cut a counterbore just deep enough to fit an Electrosocket so it sits flush with the body at the extremity of the body contour. There is a small step at the top & bottom from the Electrosocket to the body, but it came out quite nicely, and there is no unfinished wood peeking out.

Phrygian77 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.