1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I've gone Caline Pedal crazy!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Chiogtr4x, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

OK,
    I have been a little crazy for a year now, buying cheap pedals, Joyo, Biyang, Donner, just for fun+ trying so see what may improve or just change my sound, for kicks.

And I have been gigging alot, despite situation ( everything outside, plus Spring is coming back, so are regular gigs) - just bringing this up to justify blowing some $$. ( but I sell stuff I don't like on CL, no problem!)

Bottom line I have read ( here!) for quite a while how folks like the Caline Orange Burst OD ( Xotic BB Clone)
    And, I really dig its sound in the demos I heard, as a possible OD, that gives me more Drive, and Sustain than what I use ( maybe stack, or just use alone?), without being too strong/heavy Distortion.
    So I ordered this pedal from CheaperPedals:
    20210227_125901.jpg
    So what happens?
    As soon as I order this pedal ( and very excited to get it!) I find out ( once again from here!) that Caline has just come out with a line of ' dual effect' pedals with 2 effects/switches and controls, including THIS, a Caline Orange Burst with an independent Boost switch/ Vol. Knob.:
    20210227_125934.jpg
    So in this moment of discovery ( I have always wanted to find the right sounding dual-drive pedal just to not bring 2 pedals to stack)
    I basically decided right away " If I like what the Orange Burst sounds like ( and there is a lot of range/nice taper in the controls) I'm gonna by the dual version.
    So, I just got the Orange Burst 2 hours ago. What do you think I just did?

2. Chiogtr4x

Bumpo!
    My plan is to replace my ( almost) 'always ON' Blues Driver with the Caline Orange Burst/double,
    set it to a similar low/moderate drive ( as usual) then have the Boost to kick on whenever... keep things simple

3. olefudd

olefudd Tele-Meister

I guess I've also become a big Caline fan. Pure Sky, Orange Burst and just added the Medusa a couple weeks ago!

Chimey1, DougM and Chiogtr4x like this.
  4. Chiogtr4x

Of course I just bought mine or just got it I mean and I'm completely blown away in that it is give me the Distortion that I was hoping for and very adjustable and even the highest gain settings don't sound like heavy metal or scooped-out very Cooperative EQ

Kind of an old-school Fusion meets blues-rock tone but adjustable I'm digging it

olefudd and Chimey1 like this.
  5. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome to my World! I only use overdrive pedals, 'cause the only other effect I really use much is delay, and I can get it and modulation and reverb from my Mustang LT25 and THR10C (and delay from the Katana Mini). I still have the Pure Sky, Pegasus, Medusa, and Captain Siiver, and I've had the Orange Burst, Big Orange, and Midlander in the past.
    My favorites are the Medusa 1st, followed by the Pegasus and Pure Sky. The Medusa is my favorite overdrive of all time. Here's my chain right now- ModTone DynoDrive (a bright Blues Driver type), then the Tone City Durple, which can have different flavors depending on the mid control (I consider it my Dumbley pedal), then the Medusa, the Behringer TO800 (my favorite TS pedal at any price. It sounds exactly like a real TS808), then the Pure Sky, then the Chinese no-name Centaur that comes in assembled or kit form, and finally the Tone City Bad Horse. I know, three Klons, but they all sound a little different. The Pegasus and another Timmy clone (which may be made by whoever makes Mosky, 'cause it comes in an identical style box, only bigger), as well as the other no-name Chinese Centaur periodically make it into the rotation also
    RSCN1286[1].JPG CP-43_2_large.jpg s-l1600klon.jpg s-l1600.jpg The ABY box, in conjunction with a combination of Y and jumper cables allows me to use any combination of my amps together. The GT40 is only a stand for the Katan Mini on the left, but I want to eventually replace it with another Mustang LT25, and then everything will be perfectly symmetrical, but I will have to get another Y cable to be able to use it too, along with all the others. Amazingly, they're all in phase with one another, lol
    DSCN1282.JPG
    You can see that in this pic the Pegasus is where the DynoDrive now is, and the other Timmy clone is where the Pure Sky now is, lol
    You can't see in the pics, but the last overdrive pedal in the chain, the Bad Horse, goes into the Digitech looper, and the output from it goes into the input on the ABY box, and then one output from it goes into one of the THRs, the LT25, and the two Katana Minis, using the daisy chain of Y and jumper cables. And the other output of the ABY box goes into the THR on the right. So, I can use any combination of all 5 at once. The THRs and the LT25 can also record direct from their USB out, and they sound fantastic! Easily the best sounding home recordings I've ever gotten, using any recording method.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    olefudd, Chimey1 and Chiogtr4x like this.
  6. Roscoe295

Roscoe295 TDPRI Member

OP - I know you’re a long-time BD-2 user (I am too). It fell out of use for me because I simply used an Xotic BB Preamp solo (pretty much always on). I just snagged an ABY and now have a basic wet/dry rig & immediately noticed not much overdrive was coming through. So I’ve kept the BB Preamp (always on) but added back the BD-2 for more overdrive. Have to say, it works well.

DougM and Chiogtr4x like this.
  7. Chiogtr4x

Well after hearing what I heard today...

( I usually really only bring 1 OD pedal to a gig, even when I know some the 'stacking combinations' I've tried at home really sound good)

... I can see this definitely replacing the Blues Driver, and used in the same manner- 'always ON' unless I want a pure clean amp only tone for a few tunes. Not better than the BD-2, just a different OD sound to have some fun with. ( the BD-2 isn't going anywhere!)

And with the Boost function (used say, for more distorted/sustained leads- something I've never really had as I'm more R&R/' cleaner dirt')
    this 'double Burst' could be a real fun OD.

* just coming back from acoustic brewpub gig ( enough in tips to pay for new Caline!)- gigs are coming back!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    olefudd, Chimey1 and DougM like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.