I've found my favourite clip on tuner

dlew919

Doctor of Teleocity
I have a few clip ons - The ones I like best so far are the Fender and a couple of the Snarks.

I have a battery powered Boss, which is an odd shape. i have others that either chew battery life, or don't handle difficult instruments (mandolins, 5 string basses, etc).

The Boss TU-05, though, is great. Large screen, very accurate, and tunes that Low B, and the High Es on mandolin.

What's your favourite clip on?

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I have two, a TC Electronic UniTune and an older Korg AW-2, both great tuners 👍👍

I bought the Korg for Sax years ago and recently the UniTune for the guitar.

20220818_055315068_iOS.jpg 71SM-E23g2L._AC_SY879_.jpg

Last edited:

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
Orr just use your boss TU-3 like everyone else. No need to swim against the current.

Just kidding. Kind of. If I’m going through my tube amp and effects it’s always the TU-3. Which is my usual rig. But for grab and go jams I have the D’Addario Mini.

I admit I’m pretty judgmental of seeing headstock tuners in live settings. Idk, I shouldn’t care, but idk. Just always bugged me. So yea. Practice and what not it’s usually the D’Addario. Anything live, it’s the Boss

johnny k

Doctor of Teleocity
I did that with the two latest Snarks I got off Amazon.

But they are inaccurate to the point of frustration.

I guess you do get what you pay for.
I don't think i had any problem with any of them i used. But i use the clip on to jam, if i have to gig, i use a tuner. Not a pedal one, the rectangular one.

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
I got tired of storing dead batteries and bought a rechargeable. Got it offa Amazon. Mine is a LEKATO but they're sold under a lot of branding. Currently under $15.00.

It really holds a charge well. Nicely accurate. Not very good in bright sunlight but fine otherwise.

Only gripe is that it has "features", like instrument specific tuning that locks out anything but EADGBE or GDAE, etc. Easy to accidently turn it on in a "feature mode" unknowingly.

I like it anyway.

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
I bought this Reverb-branded one when they were offering them for, IIRC, £2.49.
790719C4-B821-4EF8-9C1F-D681A48CC109.jpeg

Cheap and reliable, and accurate too. I mostly use it for acoustics, but also for electrics when I’m changing strings, and there is never an appreciable difference between what it says and what the pedalboard tuner says when I plug in.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
I use the Planet Waves NS mini-tuners, mainly clamped under the headstock, behind the nut
( I keep one on each of two gig acoustics, then a few more for electrics)

I have one more of the same brand with more of a spring-loaded 'clothespin' with a small goose neck/NS Tuner on the end

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Any tuner with a multi-color LCD display is generally going to eat batteries faster than those with a monochrome LCD.

I like the rechargeable type. I have a few Petersons (Intellitouch) and the new BOSS units.

Intellitouch-PT40-C-Tuner.jpg

Here's the thing about clip-ons: not all tuners work perfectly well with all guitars. The ones with longer stalks can be the most finicky because the stalk tends to damp vibrations and that can mess with the tuner's onboard sensor that detects pitch.

I have a few guitars that I've mounted the D'Addario Micro tuner on the back of the headstock.

Daddario-PW-NS-Micro-Tuner.jpg

I remove the backing plate and cut off the clip, drill two small holes in the plate, and screw it to the headstock. The tuner module snaps into the plate and rotates. Works great, always on the guitar (can't get knocked off), and invisible from the front.

For some weird reason, the fact that I drilled two small holes on the headstock for this makes some guitar players poop their pants. I have no idea why. It already has more that 35 screw holes drilled in it anyway [shrug]

Headstock-Tuner.jpg