I've decided that I like playing bass

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by burntfrijoles, Jul 23, 2019.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

As I've posted before, I am a guitar player who only has a bass for recording purposes. After all, the bottom has to be covered. :twisted:

I returned the bass that I just bought and ordered another which won't arrive until Wednesday or Thursday. In its absence I realized that I missed picking up the bass and noodling. More than that, I had to admit that I enjoyed playing it and laying down a nice bass line.

I could never give up my day job because I still suck at the bass but I'm going to try and get better. I have already improved my picking technique (using my fingers like a proper bass player) but I still need to improve my speed using my fingers. I really need to improve my time. (1 e and a 2 e kind of thing). It seems to me that a guitar player has the luxury of covering up some of his/her timing misses but a bass player can't. It's not the main groove that causes me issues, it's the fills and little nuances. I see a lot of metronome time in my future.

There! I've confessed. Bass players are people too. I am not worthy.

2. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

Bass is loads and loads of fun. I've played bass in a few bands but I only ever use a pick so not a real bass player yet ;).

Timing is everything so a metronome, backing track, etc is a good plan. What bass did you order?

3. jimdgreat1

jimdgreat1 TDPRI Member

Do you have a sudden urge to deliver pizza? <jk>

I also love playing bass. Probably play almost as much as I do a guitar. Of course I suck at both.

Jim622 likes this.
  4. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I only peeked in here to see a blizzard of bass player jokes? Can I get my money back?

Before I leave I could repeat that bass players feel at home in jail as they are used to being behind a few bars, searching for a key?

Bassman8, Obsessed and nojazzhere like this.
  5. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Meister

I'm like you and play bass for recording and occasionally with a band (so that the bass player can play guitar on a few songs). It's NOT an easy instrument to master. And what many people (especially guitar players like me) may not realize is that there is definitely a "bass part" for every song. It may be simple or really complex and technical (for example, look at any concert footage of Sting playing the fretless bass with the Police - amazing!). But either way, it must be played in time with the drums or else it sounds like junk. You can definitely tell if a band has it together when the drum, bass, and guitar are all playing in sync and not stepping on each other (musically).

I have a Hofner Galaxie bass that has two humbucker-style pickups and a Fender-style body. It gets a nice variety of tones, wasn't too expensive, and most importantly records well.

By the way, for more fun, I've also invested in a set of e-drums for recording purposes (an Alesis Nitro Mesh kit). It's been a lot of fun learning to drum, which I feel also helps my guitar and bass playing - especially the timing!

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I love playing bass!
    A few (very few) folks even pay me to do it.
    It’s my “new” instrument.
    I’ve only played it for about 20 years.
    I’m a boring, nuthin’ fancy kind of bass player.
    I have couple of workhorse basses (same model, different strings and color).

7. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

I'm a guitar player turned bassist. I've found I really like playing bass in a band setting. But when I'm home alone I tend to work more on guitar. Bass is most satisfying when holding down the groove and bottom line so others can play along. I love that about it. I go through periods of wood shedding to improve on bass, but I rarely put the time into it to get really proficient. I like solid, simple bass lines with chromatic and interval fills, occasional breaks into melodic territory. I hate bass as a lead or solo instrument. Leave that to guitars, horns, keys, triangles, whatever. There, I said it.

My bass heroes are all four stringer groove makers - JPJ, Hill, Mendel, etc...

8. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I don’t know why I opened this thread. I haven’t played bass since 1970 in college. I played jazz on double bass and played as a fill on a Hagstrom bass into a Gemini VI backing a country / jazz singer. Thanks for bringing back the memories. I haven’t got much use for a bass these days. I mostly amuse myself singing and playing one of my guitars until my wife slams a door on me. I never had trouble setting down a simple bass line when I played bass. I didn’t have much trouble with speed and frills either. The challenge for me back then was to make the bass line interesting but not so interesting that it sounded like I was competing with the vocalist. Thanks for getting me thinking in bass again.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    Jim622 likes this.
  9. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

YES! I highly recommend guitarists learn some bass and drums to better understand rhythm, dynamics, and ensemble. Guitars have been so focused on in pop music for decades that too many guitarists fail to learn to see outside their zone. We've all either been there at one point, or had to suffer trying to play with them. :D

Jim622 likes this.
  10. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I like playing bass also, but I am torn. When I start playing and practicing bass, I feel it is at the detriment of my guitar playing. Then on the other hand I feel playing bass has its benefits toward my overall musicality and decision making playing guitar. Like I said...torn. Should I be concentrating on the guitar more instead? Then on the other hand I think it’s all music, just stop overthinking and enjoy. It is a good feeling laying down nice bass line. Right now I have been concentrating on practicing bass every third month as a decent medium.

11. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

Every guitar player should have a bass.

It helps improve your guitar playing in many ways.

12. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I could happily play bass in a band, and I'd hope to be the solid, not flashy type who makes everyone else sound good. I have a nice P-type that I never, ever get out to noodle with. Too much guitar and singing to learn.

13. GreatGaudy

GreatGaudy Tele-Meister

' It seems to me that a guitar player has the luxury of covering up some of his/her timing misses but a bass player can't. "

The old doublebass jazz is all about timing misses... That's why it sounds perfect !
    and nearly impossible to duplicate.

14. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Mrs. Obsessed, the bass player, inspired me to pick it up on the side. It really helps my pathetic timing while she has naturally perfect timing. It is probably one of the main reasons I got into recording and understanding how guitar and bass interact. Fun stuff. And of course, I get to play lots of different basses right here at home.:)

nojazzhere likes this.
  15. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I, too, am a guitar player who enjoys playing bass. When I first started on guitar (55 or so years ago) I paid attention to bass lines on great recordings, and I've been blessed to play with several amazing bass players, so I think I have a good idea what great vs. bad bass sounds like. MY preference is solid, un-complicated lines, maintaining the "tonal' center and steady, (usually) non-syncopated rhythm. As far as "proper" bass players and fingers.....Paul McCartney, Bill Wyman, Chris Squire, Chas Chandler and many other players use picks.....even early John Entwhistle. I would much rather have a bassist using a pick with precision over one with fingers who is sloppy and "imprecise".
    Practicing with a metronome is not a bad idea, and let the "fills and nuances" come naturally. A bass player I have played with and recently severed ties and I had a conversation once.....I was trying "gracefully" to get him to let me help him improve and learn some parts. I told him, "Jeff.....sometimes it sounds like you're fumbling around just trying to find the right notes." He laughed, and said, "Sometimes I AM!" But he wasn't willing to put in a little time and effort to get better.
    When I practice bass, I tend to put on a CD and play along with a "master" and learn what was recorded.....it's hard to go wrong with that. :)

16. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

About twenty years ago I picked up a Peavey P-bass copy to use on some song demos. The first thing I discovered was that it was not easy to play, and I knew very little about it. So began my studies. I like that it gives me a break from guitar, a new path to follow, and helps keep my musical interests alive. Plus, new toys!

17. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

I love my bass , it's very relaxing. I find I play much more melodically. Mines fretless and therefore much easier to play. At bass frequencies pitch varience is much more forgiving and if you have the ear you can even play true vs well tempered notes.

18. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I thought I would be happy with the short scale Mustang to replace my short scale Squier Bronco but I then decided I was ready for a big boy, long scale bass. So I just got the Players P Bass. It's the MIM Standard standard. I think the P bass is the most iconic sounding of all basses. I got the Tidewater color.

Absolutely, even it's just root, fifth kind of stuff. There's a lot you can do with just a few notes when played with the right groove. Plus, imagine "Go Your Own Way", "Crossfire", "Money", "billie Jean", etc without their bass lines.

I agree. Playing bass forces you to know exactly where the beat is,. I am not ashamed to admit silently counting when necessary.

I think playing bass has definitely improved my guitar playing and, as importantly, understand song structure.

Steve 78 likes this.
  19. Denton

Denton TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

I’m the opposite...I’ve played bass for the past 25 years in a “band” of friends. I have always messed around with guitars on my own, but always the bass man in my circle. Bass is a lot of fun, but it can also involve the tone chasing that guitar players deal with. For example, I have found the best bass amp for me is an early 70’s V4 or V4B. I have a 73 V4, which is a guitar head. Sounds great for guitar as well, so a win-win. I also like vintage JBL 15’s (d140 and K140’s). I have also come to the conclusion that a Precision and flats with the amp/cab combo above is my favorite tone. I have a Nash P with pyramid flats. When you play at band volumes and hear the tubes just start to break up it is soo fun.

I am now really starting to focus on guitar and have a Nash Tele Deluxe and a 60 Ampeg Jet. I inherited a few guitar heads and amps (JCM 800, Hiwatt, Fender) and I can say the best tones I’ve heard come from my V4 and other Ampegs I’ve owned.

20. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I like playing bass. It's so like playing guitar (so relatively easy compared to learning some other instrument) but different enough to be challenging and interesting. I also like coming up with bass parts for stuff I write on guitar.

I've been thinking of getting myself a cheap beater bass, but I'm afraid it will turn into a rabbit hole.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.