I've been banned for life by Doug Hoffman

drf64

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
How can this be? I tried to log in this morning (Hoffman amps forum, el34world.com) and this is what happened:

Sorry DRF64, you are banned from using this forum!
You registered on a proxy server.
This ban is not set to expire.

What did I do?
Was he tipped off by one of the TDPRI mods?
has this ever happened to anyone else here?

I hadn't been on in years. Did something happen?

drf64

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Were you on a VPN or maybe using a TOR browser when you registered?

I tried to log on from a VPN, but I'm certain I did not register on one. Could that alone have done it?

LeicaBoss

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
This really sounds like a programmatic or rather than you being specifically targeted.

If you are on a VPN or proxy, just register again from a normal connection.

drf64

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Yes, I don’t have to use a vpn, but when I am doing work that otherwise requires It, I would have to switch laptops.

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
How can this be? I tried to log in this morning (Hoffman amps forum, el34world.com) and this is what happened:

Sorry DRF64, you are banned from using this forum!
You registered on a proxy server.
This ban is not set to expire.

What did I do?
Was he tipped off by one of the TDPRI mods?
has this ever happened to anyone else here?

I hadn't been on in years. Did something happen?
Set your sights higher and get banned on a more popular forum than that. Sure you can if you try.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I was banned from buying from Elderly Instruments years ago. No reason why. I think I looked there once. Then tried to buy something on Ebay they had listed. Go figure! and WHO CARES?

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Registering while on a VPN connection means that your IP address is masked. The IP address is an identifier of a member. If a member misbehaves enough, his/her IP address can be blocked in addition to disallowing the member login. Blocking an IP address on a VPN is useless, as that IP address is reassigned to different connections, over and over, forever.

If there's a mistake, and you didn't register on a VPN connection, perhaps you can drop an e-mail to the site admin(s). Most likely you've been banned programmatically and not by a human being.

I'm using NordVPN right now. Generally, quicker and more reliable than most, since it has a lot of nodes on its network and runs its own DNS. It's Panamanian-based, doesn't log, and generally behaves like my communications are my own business. I used to have Norton Secure VPN and it was nearly useless, as well as not being very transparent about security policies.