iTunes migration problems (trouble copying media folder to new drive)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Tarnisher, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Tarnisher

Tarnisher Friend of Leo's

:!:please limit your posts to addressing my questions in a helpful manner, and save your thoughts about iTunes, Apple, etc. for another thread! Thanks!:!:

I've been using iTunes off of an external hard drive because my MacBook's hard drive was getting too crowded. I've since upgraded, though, and I want to migrate back to having all my music on my MacBook.

It seems that I have two folders on the external, one that has all the metadata, and a different one that has all the actual music.

I decided to start by making an extra backup of both onto a new external hard drive, just in case anything goes wrong.

I dragged the folders onto the new hard drive, which is formatted and working fine for other stuff, and it started copying. But the folder with the music files wouldn't copy. It started to, but didn't get past AC/DC when a message popped up saying,

Now there's hardly anything on the hard drive, and there certainly isn't another folder with the same name. So I tried going into the folder and selecting all, and dragging that onto a new folder on the new external. But the same message came up.

Any suggestions?

2. big-daddy-59

big-daddy-59 Tele-Holic

I've got a simple solution if you've still got the old macbook. Make a back up from within itunes onto dvds using the old computer, then use the import from backup command to transfer the files to a new install of itunes on the new machine. might cost you $20 in dvds but it works.

3. Tarnisher

I could do a fresh iTunes and just drag all the files from my old library into it. I tested it with one album, and it works.

But doesn't that take another "computer you can play this file on" away from my list? And what about apps and iPhone backups? Can I just drag those in too? I know where the music files are, but I don't know where my app backups are.

I'd rather just pull the whole library onto my machine if possible. This seems like a bug, and there's gotta be a fix.

4. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry, big daddy, but DVDs aren't going to help this problem.

Tarnisher, your problem is in the formatting of your discs (sort of). The drive you're copying from has a format that's case-sensitive. The drive you're copying to isn't. So, a file ThisIsAFile.mp3 and thisisafile.mp3 don't have the same name on the drive you're copying from, but DO have the same name on the drive you're copying to.

I'm not sure why that is, but you can look at the discs (somewhere) on the Mac and figure it out. Usually, a Mac's drive are case-sensitive, which puzzles me. And usually, external drives are formatted for Windows (though MAc reads them). Are you somehow trying to copy to a BootCamp (or other Windows) partition on your Mac?

(That's why the DVD thing won't work. The file names still won't reconcile.)

Also, just my general iTunes suggestions:
    Never, ever let it organize your library.
    Don't bother trying to move the metadata. Just start with a clean library and re-import everything. Since you're not letting it do any organization, it doesn't copy files. Still takes time, though.

5. big-daddy-59

big-daddy-59 Tele-Holic

If you're going to retire the old computer, you can remove it from your list of authorized machines after the file transfer is complete.

6. Tarnisher

The drive I'm copying to was purchased for a recording project and handed to the engineer in the box. He uses a Mac, and worked off the drive, then gave it to me when the project was complete. I assumed he formatted it for Mac, but I guess maybe he didn't.

Anyway, it's a huge drive, and has plenty of extra room, so I planned to use it for backups.

I guess it sounds like I'm going to have to start a new iTunes, drag all my music into it, and then back it up through Time Machine.

Actually, I really want to stop using iTunes and give Clementine a try, but I was going to try to clean up my iTunes library and get rid of duplicates and unnamed tracks with TuneUp first.

7. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

Yep, sounds like he didn't reformat it.

I never bother with a fresh itunes. I just delete everything in the library, then add it back in. That way, I don't worry about missing anything. Takes longer, though.

And itunes really doesn't scale well. It's not good at terabytes of media.

8. furtherpale

furtherpale Former Member

clean out the itunes folder on your mac... making sure there isnt anything that you don't have on your external drive. import everything from the external afresh.

9. Tarnisher

I tried copying the folder right on to my MacBook desktop, and had the same problem. I figured that ruled out the possibility of a formatting issue, as I'm pretty sure my MacBook HD is formatted for Mac, since it's running OSX.

Then it hit me: everything copied fine up to AC/DC. I went into the folder and had a look at AC/DC, and sure enough, there were multiple files for this one band, including ac/dc. I went into iTunes and edited track info for all AC/DC songs so that the artist is in caps, and presto- it worked.

Unfortunately, this isn't the only occurrence. Every time the same text appears with different capitalization, I have to locate it and consolidate. At least the computer tells me where the problem is- I just have to go and check the folder after the last one it copied.

10. a.miller

a.miller Tele-Meister

It sounds like you figured it out, but I wanted to mention that perhaps you have some duplicate songs, which would/could generate the iTunes error message you posted above.

From iTunes, you can go View--> Show Duplicates to see where your library has any.

This might not be your problem, but hopefully this helps to some degree :)

11. Tarnisher

Yeah, it's funny, it was mainly duplicate artists with different capitalization of the same name. I have tons of duplicate songs (thanks a lot, iTunes :mad:), but they only caused a problem in one instance.

Actually, one of the reasons I'm backing up my library and migrating it back to my MacBook is so that I can install TuneUp and clean up the duplicates. I know I can have it show me the duplicates in iTunes, but then I have to sit there for hours highlighting, pressing CMND+delete, and clicking the button that says "Yes, move this sucker to the trash and delete it forever" (or something to that effect.) over and over and over. Since iTunes saw fit to duplicate hundreds of my songs, that could take a while.

I really don't know why Apple can't include a duplicate clean up that scans songs the way Gracenote does, checking times as well as titles, or even analyzing them like Shazam, then deleting them.

But there are so many other things wrong with iTunes that that is almost insignificant...

Ooops, I just broke my own rule about not complaining about Apple products in this thread. Oh well :neutral:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.