1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

It's What We Play, Not How Loud

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by sax4blues, Feb 26, 2021.

1. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

A theme as old as Les Paul; What rig can I play at home with good tone but doesn't annoy the family or neighbors?

I have come to believe that volume is not the core problem. People have music on all the time, and unless you are blasting the stereo, rarely will anyone complain. But the nature of playing guitar at home is usually what I call practice. I'm learning a song or riff, and the process is to play phrases over, and over, and over, and over,...... well you get the point. I would be surprised if anyone sits for two hours and plays 15-20 complete songs in a manner which is enjoyable to a listener. So in my house the fact they can "hear" me at all can be annoying just because of what i'm playing, not excessive volume.

thunderbyrd and MilwMark like this.
  2. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nice try.

You're too loud.

"A" for effort though.

As an aside, in our hours (2 teens) we're always telling each other to turn down stereos, TVs, podcasts on phones, etc. for various reasons. Often homework or work related.

If you want a more definitive answer, download a dB meter, meter your typical TV volume at 1m and then meter your typical practice volume at 1m and unless you are using a modeler, I bet you'll be how much louder your amp is.

If someone's on the edge of whether it's worthwhile to create a ruckus, sure, probably hearing the same riff 30x will push them over the edge.

3. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Dunno your budget or how you define "good tone" but I like my Katana 100 1x12. The 50s can be had for under $250 new.

4. Tele-friend

Tele-friend Tele-Meister

I play through a Fender Mustang LT25 + AKG headphones. Problem solved :D
    It is a small good practice amp, takes pedals pretty well. Here in EU new one costs about 150€.
    I tried it also with simple mobile phone headphones and it still sounds pretty good.

5. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Holic

I have a drum, keyboard, and several guitars in my house... and 3 boys.

If I want to play the guitar, I play it however loud I want for as long as I want. Usually the kids will hop on and make noise too.

However, if I play the drum, it doesn't usually take too long for one of them to tell me to stop, or switch over to guitar :oops:

I have noticed that people enjoy music on different levels. Some like it as white noise. Some like it because listening to it is their primary activity. Some like to make it. Some don't like it at all. If everyone in the house doesn't enjoy music in the same way, there will be conflict.

6. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

I agree with home practice, it’s not killing me to play low. I got a teeny tube amp just for reasonable volume. And spent a $skillion on a desktop bass practice amp for same reason.

I don’t want to wreck my wife’s meetings or my kid’s school since they’re always online now.

But I can promise the second my wife gets in the car I’m going to dime my stack and neighbors be darned because LOUD is good for my blood pressure.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.