It's time to retire Stevie.

HootOwlDude

Tele-Meister

I kinda always thought she is largely overrated considering the endless props she tends to get. She was very good in the day, though, and cute (s-ex-y!!!) as a button. Gotta say, though, I was and am disgusted by the cold-smoking treatment Buckingham got from the entire band when they tossed him. He may well be an a-hole to deal with—I mean, what do I know—but come on. I though it was kind of d*** move by Mike Campbell and the Crowded House guy to sweep in too. I mean, talk about getting the shaft! Say what you will about Buckingham, but his inventive songwriting, playing, and singing were by far the most interesting things about post-Green Fleetwood Mac. He really is a very unique guitarist, and he of course is the entire reason Nicks ever got in the band, at least from what I have read. I am not saying she doesn’t deserve her fame and success, but damn, the man really helped set her up to succeed in a big way. And like others have noted, Christine’s ethereal voice never got the props it deserved as a welcome flavor to counter the Stevie thing. Yeah, since the nixing (or “Nicksing”) of poor Lyndsey, I really feel a flux of animosity whenever I see Stevie nowadays. Harsh!

loudboy

Tele-Afflicted
I love her. In her prime, Chaka was an absolutely unbelievable singer. “Walking in the Sun” from I think the first Rufus album with her is a tour-de-force. That song along puts her up there with the greats.
Reporter: I hear the Rufus is looking for someone to replace you?

Chaka: Good luck with that.

To the OP, she's dropped the key quit a bit, but still sounds generally OK. Let her fans see her, if they want to drop the $, doesn't affect me.

In the most well-preserved voice" department, these two really stand/stood out:

Mjark

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I listened the Stones play Gimme Shelter on their current tour. Even with a competent rhythm section it sounded awful. It wasn't the vocals either.

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I listened the Stones play Gimme Shelter on their current tour. Even with a competent rhythm section it sounded awful. It wasn't the vocals either.

Keith is getting the old man timing thing, where he keeps lagging farther and farther behind the rest of the band. There's a not very fine line between greasy timing that's a little behind the beat, and just falling right off. It's kind of like Willie Nelson's singing. Ron Wood and Chuck Leavell have to do a lot of heavy lifting to try to hold things together.

SRHmusic

Tele-Afflicted
Listening to three of the videos posted in the thread, I'm more disappointed by the bands. The groove is flat on these tunes that used to really have some nice rhythmic grooves, and the guitars are over distorted with none of the nuances. As we used to say, "They've lost the art." :(

4pickupguy

Doctor of Teleocity
I love her. In her prime, Chaka was an absolutely unbelievable singer. “Walking in the Sun” from I think the first Rufus album with her is a tour-de-force. That song alone puts her up there with the greats.
She is best friends with Joni Michell. They live very close to each other and she checks in on Joni as often as possible. Chaka has recorded an album of Joni Michell tunes about three years ago and never released it. I hope she does! She got back into jazz and fusion about ten year ago and did a killer tour of it. One of my faves. In her late 60’ and still killer! My favorite era was early 80’s Night in Tunisia and Through The Fire.
She sings this song better now at 67’.
Bonus killer fusion guitar solo by Hiram Bullock:

Last edited:

HootOwlDude

Tele-Meister
She is best friends with Joni Michell. They live very close to each other and she checks in on Joni as often as possible. Chaka has recorded an album of Joni Michell tunes about three years ago and never released it. I hope she does! She got back into jazz and fusion about ten year ago and did a killer tour of it. One of my faves. In her late 60’ and still killer! My favorite era was early 80’s Night in Tunisia and Through The Fire.

Didn’t know she’s girls with Joni! So cool. I don’t listen to her habitually, but I’ve just always liked her. LOVE that first Rufus record. She was quite the looker back then too, and knew it! She is an amazing talent and definitely hasn’t had the props she deserves. The girl’s got pipes for sure. It’s great that she still performs. An amazing person.

HootOwlDude

Tele-Meister

I know the sound quality isn’t the best, but holy crap I love this video. I think it showcases why Chaka, as well as Rufus, was very special in her prime.