It's the end of the line for this Guitar...

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Steve Holt, May 5, 2017.

1. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

So I was thinking about some of the former guitars in my collection, wondering if they still exist (surely someone is playing it right?) And then I got to thinking about every guitar that's ever been made. They're all out there somewhere, whether whole or in pieces maybe in a landfill, who knows?

So I was wondering what it takes for a guitar to get to the end of its life. And while that's sad I'm sure there are some stories around here of when a guitar met its last owner before being retired. Maybe you fell down and broke the neck? Destroyed in a fire? Accidentally jammed it in a wood chipper? Anything is possible. Anyone like to share? Here's mine

So my second attempt at refinishing I decided to buy a squier affinity, strip it, and refinish. It was a great summer project and it turned out very well. It went from black to surf green. Well I played it off and on for a few years before deciding to refinish it again. So I took it apart, took it out to the shop and started the process. Then I got busy and unmotivated. It became a project laying around on worse condition than what I started. So I've pretty much resigned it to being a guitar that will never be a guitar again. Just pieces. So it's not technically the end of the line forever, but I have no plans and no intentions for it, as I have other projects.

I still like to think that a guitar is never really gone. It's gotta be somewhere right?

2. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I had a friend who owned a recording studio, about a block from where I live. It was next door to a building which contained a bar, as well as some retail and offices. There was a big fire in the bar one night. I could see it from my kitchen window, at one point flames must have leapt almost 50 feet above the roof of the building, it was truly spectacular. It was a total loss, the neighborhood stank of wet ash for weeks. That fire spread to my friend's studio, which was also a total loss. He had several guitars in there, but the only thing he found was the mostly melted "R" tailpiece from his '60s Burgandyglo Rickenbacker 360/12. Everything else was reduced to unidentifiable ash.

Steve Holt likes this.
  3. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

What a loss for the 360/12. :cry: that's a real shame.

4. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

The landfill is where most broken guitars slip to their demise, buried under the papers of yesterday and rotten cores and bones. Some are busted up into pieces and sold on the 'bay to get used as project fodder; parts cast down to fade into an equal oblivion.

I much prefer the stories of resurrection.

This Tele was plucked from the landfill equipment after getting abusive mods done to it, I bought it as a $20 paper bag of parts.
    The LP copy had the frets ripped out, wires gutted and dangling from its chassis, one viable pickup, and missing saddles like the teeth of a vagrant it had been kicked to the road in a cardboard case meant to be its last coffin.
    Yet they sing again.

[​IMG]
    StratandGlobal_IMG_4737c.JPG

ecoast likes this.
  5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I have always wondered where all of the strats go. There should be at least one in every closet of the free world, but alas, that is not the case. Where are they all? How many have been made?

Joe Sailor and Steve Holt like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.