It's sub-optimal, but it's MINE.

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Rich_S, Sep 16, 2021.

1. Rich_S

Rich_S Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

We closed on our new house yesterday, and today we decided who's going to get what rooms. I had my choice of two smaller upstairs rooms for my home office/studio. The smallest was 10 feet square so I went for next-larger 10' x 11'.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The front wall in the top photo is 10 feet wide. In the middle photo, the side wall is 11 feet from the front wall to the closet doors (the mirrored closet door gonna hafta go). The bottom photo shows the 3-foot set back beside the closet and the entry door.

With only a 7' 6" ceiling it's definitely NOT a primo studio space, but I'll do the best I can with layout, acoustic, treatment, and decor and it will do nicely. Mrs_S can't really complain about my private guitar space if it's doing double-duty as my work-from-home office. (I work from home permanently, not just during pandemics.)

I'm mostly going to be doing silent guitar recordings in this room, using small tube amps and a load box/cab sims. The only live mic recording will be acoustic guitars and the occasional vocal, so I'm not really worried about containing sound within the room. I'll just have to do whatever I can to make it a decent mixing environment despite it's small size.

Moving into the rest of the house will take a few weeks, but I plan on resurrecting this thread down the road as the studio project gets going.

2. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

I bet your acoustic will sound killer in there with the wood floors.

Looks like a cool space to call your own. I’ll look forward to see how the project moves along!

SparkleFart likes this.
  3. 57joonya

57joonya Tele-Meister

Looks like good space - congrats

4. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

Not a bad space! I prefer hardwood flooring in my studio.
    I hope you find some inspiration in the new place!

5. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats. Wasn’t that a Ringo song?

6. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Afflicted

Love the room. I'm jealous cuz my room is in the basement and there's not even a visible window in mine. Dungeon. I call it Salvage Yard Studios..... :)

At the same time I'm freaking ecstatic that I have a place!!! And amps and guitars and a drum kit. And my son built his own super duper gaming computer so I got back the one we bought him while he was growing up and it's got a lot of hard drive space left and better (more ram and processor speed) than my laptop. So I didn't have to buy a new computer....

Attached Files:

Midgetje94 and mexicanyella like this.
  7. dublindave8456

dublindave8456 TDPRI Member

its great to start with a clean slate.....

mines a 10 x 11 as well its a bit tight,

but i love it all.......

keep us updated....

as ya go....

8. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

add some drapes, it will warm up the sound of the room. I recommend using a room mic to capture the ambient sound to mix into the recording to give it more depth. you may have to hang some textiles over those mirrors to soften the propensity for echo/reverb off the hard surfaces.

good luck and remember there are no perfect recording studios, only people who know the room and how to compensate.

9. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Congrats! I'm stealing the thread title for a band name.

Sub-Optimal!

10. matman14

matman14 Tele-Meister

Bonus points for the TARDIS pillow!

11. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Afflicted

Mirrors or not I'd still consider some room treatments like bass traps in the corners and something to decrease the primary reflections from your monitors.

12. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

We looked at a house recently owned by an Emmy-winning sound editor, which had its garage converted into a recording space. The realtor said, "You can always turn this back into a garage," and I said, "That wouldn't be necessary." Unfortunately, we're not ready to buy just yet, but they're asking too much, so it's likely to remain on the market for awhile.

woodman likes this.
  13. Rich_S

I think I'm going to trade the mirror doors out for some standard wood ones, then hang some absorption on the outer door.

What about the Marshall messenger bag? Priorities, man!

Oh, for sure bass traps in at least two corners and as much of a cloud as I can fit over the mixing position. The cloud may be a bit shallow given the low ceiling. (It's a 1957 split-level, so luxurious high ceilings were not among the architect's concerns.) The room will also contain my desk, printer, and drafting table for work but I will simply refer to the lot as "diffusion".

W.L.Weller likes this.
  14. Old Smokey

Old Smokey Tele-Meister

Very cool. I've got a similar set-up here. My room is 10' x 12' but the ceilings slant with the pitch of the roof, so it feels smaller than that. Even the highest point of the ceiling, down the center, is 6'9" and I'm about 6'2" myself. Plenty of nicks in the ceiling from guitar headstocks, lol.

This is also my office, so I have 44 sq. feet of work tables in here as well and two wire shelving units on wheels. Got a long closet/crawl space on one side though, also under the slant of the roof, but it's perfect for guitar cases sitting on their long edges.

If we ever renovate the barn, I might have to move out there!

15. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Afflicted

LPs and books are also great for managing unwanted reflections, but that may not leave enough room for gear!

FortyEight likes this.
  16. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

I'm on my fourth "home studio," although the last two were beyond the bedroom/garage scenario, where I wasn't constrained except by budget and the physical dimensions (read: free of wifely home-decor limitations).

I'd guess that most of us here are limited to one room as a studio workplace. So we track (engineer), mix and sort-of master in the same acoustic environment. I'd love a dead vocal booth and a live booth for acoustic instruments, and a scientifically engineered mastering room. But, looks like probably not in this life! Here are my observations, although YMMV:

Sound treatment in a single room, in my experience, should be somewhat biased toward the mixing phase. ...Bass-trap all your corners (you can make them cheap with 2 x 4's and batts of Roxul insulation) and half the battle's won. But the remaining half is where you have to make hard decisions on the rest of your budget.

Put up some side-wall panels parallel to your mixing position to minimize those pesky early reflections. If your monitors are rear-ported, try to put a couple panels directly behind the ports. Back wall, don't worry as much about absorption as diffusion. A bookshelf works a trick toward keeping the splash off that back wall. ... In the second Woodshed, I saved beer-bottle caps for months and glued them to 2 x 2 quarter-inch plywood panels placed every few feet. Your goal isn't to suck up excess built-up room resonance (your corner traps do that), but to break it up so it doesn't splash back at your console position.

The ceiling, wow, that's a challenge at 7'6" ... the first Woodshed was a 7-foot ceiling and that was awful. That wasn't too bad in a sitting position, but standing up (I don't like to track vocals or guitar sitting down), I couldn't trust my ears because they weren't much more than a foot from the ceiling! It was like listening inside a car wash.

But the fallback position of listening to your mix through multiple sources — your studio monitors and headphones, your home stereo, your buddy's stereo, your dog's stereo, and the all-important car system. Once you get a feel for your room — it could take up to a year — you'll be all set until, well, you rig up your next room. Hopefully, that won't be for a long time.

Cheers and good luck! :cool:

Skully likes this.
  17. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Afflicted

What do you guys think about egg cartons for sound treatment? I have a grid in my basement for a drop ceiling with nothing in it and I've thought about saving my egg crates and making panels with them to go into the grid.....

18. matman14

matman14 Tele-Meister

If you want to give a bunch of money to the egg/cardboard industry, that's cool. As far as acoustic treatment goes, they might help with very slightly diffusing the over 18,000Hz material no one can hear. Otherwise basically no help.

Absorbing problem frequencies require mass and materials that turn sound waves to heat. Putting OC703 in the drop ceiling would be far more useful (and in the corners of the room).

FortyEight likes this.
  19. Midgetje94

Midgetje94 Tele-Afflicted

I wish I had a whole room! I got half a room. Lol. But thankful for that at least.
    C5B7606C-BA3B-47B2-B802-B580C7F4F49E.jpeg

20. Rich_S

Good name for a studio, too. Sub-Optimal Studio, or SOS for short.

I’m going with StudioISH, because everything in it is going to be -ish.

Good monitors? Good-ish.
    High-end mic locker? High-end-ish.
    Awesome guitar playing? Awesome-ish.

You get the idea.

FortyEight and CapnCrunch like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.