It's strange being the same age as s old people.

RodeoTex

Doctor of Teleocity
I have high blood pressure and am on blood thinners. Lady night my nose just started gushing. Then I fell trying to find my phone. Broke nose and thumb.
Probably not thinking clearly but I called my boss at midnight and he came and took me to the hospital.
I was covered in blood. I've never bled that much in my life: shirt, pants, hands face and glasses.
They finally stopped the bleeding by putting a balloon thingy up there.
They gave me a paper shirt and discharged me at 3:00. I didn't even have shoes. We have no public transportation here so I was just going to wait on the bench until a more decent hour to call someone.
I actually only had to wait about 20 minutes before an off-duty security guard offered me a ride home.
People here are like that now after our community tragedy a while back.

yegbert

Poster Extraordinaire
Hope you’re okay now. After a stroke I had open heart surgery to replace a heart valve in mid 2020, they used cow tissue because mechanical valve would have made warfarin mandatory for the rest of my life, and I was on eliquis; but then I had more strokes so they put me on warfarin because they could measure blood thinness and lessen additional stroke risk. I have to be careful about bleeding, I am very cold natured, and I have to watch my diet to get a fairly steady vitamin K and blood thinness (INR). Eating a serving of turnip greens would be too much daily, so I don’t eat any of it, and I love turnip greens. Blood thinners are a necessary evil, in other words they suck!

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
I had some doctors put me on the medication treadmill a few years ago…pill after pill after pill after pill, each one to counteract the side effects of the previous one, all of them creating physical ailments I didn’t have due to “natural”/genetic tendencies. Most of these ailments were reversible but one is not (as of yet).

I finally fired all my docs and started taking better care of myself. I started exercising, lost some weight, started eating better, changed my mental attitude and (eventually) to a less-stressful career.

Now I go to the doctor when I’m truly sick (as I did recently when I had an incident which turned out to be gallstones), but otherwise I use natural remedies or find a lifestyle change that fixed the problem instead of masking it and creating side effects.

kuch

Tele-Afflicted
Glad you got the help you needed.

It sucks getting old.... but look at the alternative.

Like Fiesta Red said above, I too have taken the proactive route. It's hard getting motivated some days but I'm on it more than not.

Take care of yourself

RodeoTex

Doctor of Teleocity
IMG_20220805_144210665.jpg

Really that's too look cool with that balloon hanging out of my nose. I've got a couple more days of that.
I'm pretty sure my thumb is broken but they didn't seem too concerned about it.
IMG_20220805_114308072.jpg

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
My doctor had me on a daily 325 mg aspirin in addition to a blood thinner. In 2014 my wife and I were riding in my brother's car down I-20 in north Louisiana. About 40 miles from Driskill Mountain, the highest point in Louisiana, my nose began bleeding spontaneously. And Louisiana has the 2nd lowest highest point of the 50 states, ahead of only Florida.

My doctor backed me down to 81mg baby aspirin.

Mechanic

Friend of Leo's
Liver transplant had me on the table for 12hrs on pure oxygen. A week later I’m getting checked out, sniff, sniff, flood of blood. Chocking and coughing on blood, my blood. Nurse drops all the paperwork ( now covered in blood), sprints out the door, elevator down 10 floors and back. Shoved the torpedo up and pumps until the blood stops and I scream. They shoot me up with something to shut me up. I do the count backwards, every 10 I yell TAKE IT OUT! Did it twice before lights out.
Stayed another 3 days for that.

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
Been on blood pressure meds for 20 years. Took a blood test and found out I was allergic to eggs. Stopped eating eggs. My BP plummeted from 145/95 to 72/52 and I stopped taking BP meds. My BP is holding steady now at 110/65. If you eat eggs, you should have the blood test to see if you're allergic to that, or any other foods.

I really miss eggs, but sure af don't miss those damn BP meds.

edited: So sorry to hear about your accident! Hope you heal soon!!!

Colo Springs E

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
yep

1oldage.jpg

So sorry about what you experienced--this story you just told, and the recent tragedy there. Sometimes life is very hard, and very hard to understand.

All the best to you man.

sax4blues

Poster Extraordinaire
November 2021 I developed a uncontrollable bleed in my nose. Went to emergency in an ambulance and got that same balloon, which doctor required to stay in for 5 days. My problem was very dry Colorado weather. I'm so paranoid to blow my nose. Hope your situation heals fast.

Tarkus60

Tele-Afflicted
I feel ya....
Last week I broke my pinky toe....invented new curse words.
Monday twisted my back...invented even more curse words.
What's next?

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Eating lunch at my desk today, I dropped a potato chip. I leaned over to pick it up and fell out of my chair.
I was leaning back in an office chair down in New Orleans, and the mechanical (bottom half) came apart from the entire upper 60% of the chair. Which landed hard on the porcelain tile floor. At least that part was well constructed and well padded. I kept expecting there had to be some injury, but no - eventually I just got up and thanked my lucky stars.

kbold

Friend of Leo's
Common blood thinner (anticoagulant) is Warfarin: effective for the control of rodents and old/sick people.
Did your Dr tell you you're eating rat bait?